Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Is Back To The Future Obscure Now?

Marty McFly

When I think of timeless, innovative, and classic movies I think of Wizard of Oz and Back To The Future. Both movies were revolutionary for visual effects and BTTF is a sweeping quirky adventure. But, the more and more I reference it, the less people know what I'm talking it. In fact, I was at a con recently where the "Team Fox" (A team dedicated to raising money for Parkinson's disease in honor of MJF) people brought a fully done-up DeLorean as well as some really neat merchandise. But, the DeLorean was in a back secluded area of the hall and they barely sold anything! And they were great people, too! Is Back To The Future really leaving the collective consciousness?

• Brohoof 3

Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies of all time. I pretty much quote it every day and although not many people understand my references I don't think I have I know anyone who doesn't know what Back to the Future is. I know people who haven't seen it and I know people who don't like it all that much but not anyone who doesn't know about it at all. 

• Brohoof 1

Sadly I think you're right, I was born in 1999 and my mother was a big Back to the Future Fan so I grew up loving it. But in school it seems hardly anyone knows about it! I know this because I have a friend called Marty who I remember was acting weird one day ( He wasn't acting quite himself turns out he was having big family problems sad.png )  and I remember A kid in my class saying " hes acting weird today, hes from the future! " then I said C'mon Marty you must go Back, To the Future! But no-one got the reference! I even asked People if they'd seen it. most said no.

Its inevitable for these things to happen, And we'll just have to deal with the fact people are missing awesome movies!img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies of all time. I pretty much quote it every day and although not many people understand my references I don't think I have I know anyone who doesn't know what Back to the Future is. I know people who haven't seen it and I know people who don't like it all that much but not anyone who doesn't know about it at all. 

Well, I uploaded a picture of me in a BTTF replica DeLorean and somebody said it was a "gangsta" car and that it's always been thuggish.

>MFW

post-19840-0-06539600-1380046685.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I've watched those movies so many times I can't stand them anymore LOL.

it's an awesome movie don't get me wrong.

I think it had a great run, if people forget about it, it gives new material for hacks like me.

• Brohoof 1

Is it bad that I'm now 17, and I haven't even seen Back to the Future yet? I remember my sister being a complete fan of it, and we even have the trilogy on DVD. It just never occurs to me to watch it, since I'm just not usually a movie person.

Well, I uploaded a picture of me in a BTTF replica DeLorean and somebody said it was a "gangsta" car and that it's always been thuggish.

>MFW

Did you stab him? Did you?

Edited by Mars Brownie

Back to the future are one of my favorite movies, I would love to own a DeLorean and I just can't believe that people would forget it. I reference it all the time I just love it. Hopefully you're wrong, I doubt people are starting to forget it if so then we really need to remind everyone.

It makes sense that it would become obscure over time, especially nowadays with so many cable channels and other ways then transmitted tv to watch things.  That is assuming it was shown once a year on a specific network.  Especially among people below a certain age.  What that age is I'm not sure.

Edited by Kulstor

I have the same pains about Highlander, you'd be surprised how many people I've brought it up or made jokes related to it around don't even know what it is. It's reached a point where people I'm in groups with instantly think of me when they see a Highlander joke because I'm the only one in the chat group that's a fan or really knows much about it.

I adore Back to the Future. It's a timeless flick that's aged perfectly. Only problem is, this is coming from someone who is a movie buff. Many don't remember Back to the Future, and it's a shame that this is happening. This is also happening to many other timeless films like The Green Mile or Gone with the Wind. Many kids today don't really like the classics. They instead go for the hip and new stuff that will be forgotten about in the next five years. I really hope that the classics will be remembered in some shape or form. I'll certainly do my part to preserve the masterpieces for future generations to enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

I have never watched it, but people tell me it's a good movie. By people, I mean my parents and that's it. I don't think it will ever be forgotten. There will be those who remember the movie and will pass it down. From what I know, it's a gem.

It's possible.  Not everything remains big in the public eye forever.  And I'm saying that even though I just went to Retrocon, an annual gathering in the Philadelphia area that celebrates videogames, cartoons, and movies of the 90s, 80s, and earlier.  Last year they had a movie accurate modified DeLorean and I had my picture taken at the wheel.  smile.png  But this year, the emphasis seemed to be on Ghostbusters. 

While I knew many of the things predicted for 2015 wouldn't come to pass, especially the hoverboards, I'm very disappointed that we aren't teeming with 80s themed diners today.  sad.png  I tried looking for that clip and this is the best I could do on short notice:

Whaddya know, hands-free gameplay is one prediction that did come true!

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 1

I loved Back to the Future! I even mentioned it in my "Favorite Movies of all time" post. Placed third, I think.

However, if my dad hadn't shown it to me, I would have never known t existed. In fact, I bet in a few decades, maybe MLP will be long forgotten, too. That's life.

The trilogy of Back to the Future, is literally my favorite trilogy and it still is. Over a long period of time, many things will start to become forgotten after a while especially classic movies that we cherish a lot.

• Brohoof 1

I have the trilogy and watch them once every couple of months, I watched each one over the past 3 nights.

Whaddya know, hands-free gameplay is one prediction that did come true!

I joked with my mum the other night that we're closer to hover boards and flying cars than to an accurate weather service :P

There are actually some things it got right, just not to the level they expected, we do have some flying cars, we just don't have them everywhere. I love how the clothing is basically a high-tech version of 80s clothing too, with the bright colours, I guess they didn't expect clothing to become what it has now :P

• Brohoof 1

Oh my! Back to the Future! That has definitely got to be one of my absolute favorite movie series. I'm currently in the middle of re-running old movies and series, including the old Bond films, HP, Star Wars and Ranma 1/2. Of course, BttF must be there. It would be really sad if it's falling into obscurity as it's one of the best movie series of all time.

Back to the Future is obscure now? This is heavy.

Back to the Future is my absolute favorite movie trilogy. Always makes number 1 on my favorite movie lists (I put trilogies on my lists because there are some trilogies where I enjoy each movie in them equally). Nothing can beat it for me. I currently own the 25th anniversary trilogy on Blu-Ray . I love these movies so much.  So it will upset me if it goes into obscurity. I haven't personally seen it myself, but I'm sure it will sadly go into obscurity over time. Just like many other timeless, classic movies. But I will keep it timeless with my children. When I have children.

• Brohoof 2

Oh hell naw. BttF is one of the moat popular films of its respective decade, stuck in collective memories of the generation that is now directly shaping popular culture. Of course it isn't obscure.

Uh oh, forgot to insert a reference. Ummm, "gigawatts", or something...

Back to the Future obscure? Lol. BttF is a very popular movie how can it be considered obscure? If it were obscure it would've never been popular and/or only popular with a specific group of people. Saying that BttF is obscure is like calling a band like Black Sabbath obscure, known by millions of people all over the world but not your classmates. It's as if anything can pass off as obscure these days.

Oh and btw, a DeLorean is very gangster, the gullwing doors make performing drive bys easy.