Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you participate, what are you giving up for Lent?

Doctor XFizzle

I'm giving up religion... (cwutididthere?)

It seems strange to me that it is a custom to prevent oneself from using something they enjoy.

But wutever, luv and tolerate.

I'm given up Lent for Lent ;)

Actually, I don't participate in any sort of "on X day, make a positive change in your life", like new years resolutions and similar. I'll make a positive change in my life when I'm damn well ready. I respect those who do, though :)

And I'm also atheist, so I'm under no religious obligation to participate in these kind of things.

I was seriously about to make this joke. I am so disappointed now at having been beaten to the punch.

*leaves thread without making characteristic witty remark*

I'm giving up religion... (cwutididthere?)

It seems strange to me that it is a custom to prevent oneself from using something they enjoy.

But wutever, luv and tolerate.

The purpose of Lent is not so much giving up something one enjoys for the sake of doing so, but bringing your mind and heart into focus. It's a reminder of what we are often thankful and the choice we possess in partaking in certain pleasures which are otherwise nonessential.

In more Christian lingo, it mimics Jesus' temptation in the desert. More specifically, Lent is a display of solidarity with Christ in His redemptive act; a movement toward perfecting ourselves in order to grow closer to Him.

As for abstaining from meat on Fridays: it includes all forms of meat, to the best of my knowledge. Fish is permitted.

Speaking frankly, I actually believe the Church should reinstate abstinance from meat on every Friday, as it was up until several decades ago (around Vatican II). I'm not dogmatic about it, however.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

My parents are Christian (not sure if Catholic or not), but they never taught me of the ways of lent. I didn't even know it existed.

The only time I ever gave up something was on Easter Sunday where I wasn't allowed to eat meat until a certain time of day by my parents. (And sometimes, I wasn't allowed to eat anything period.)

It sounds like an interesting premise... and reminds me of the time where I did give up something for a period of time. Although I will not techncially indulge in Lent, I'm at least going to try to attempt a positive change in my life by giving up... going to bed late. And also trying to exercise for a month. More than a month, actually. I hope it extends into more of my life. But I guess I'll just aim for a month.

Lent is the 40 days between Ash Wednesday (today) and Easter Sunday. So I'll be back April 8th

Oh, now I get it. At first I was like: dafuq is lent? Some sort devilish trade-your-soul-or-in-this-case-a-thing-you-like-for-super-powers thing?

Then I was like: So it's some sort of "manda", in wich catholics say to some saint that they'll do/not do something for a month in return for miracles?

and finally I was like: OOOOoooh, "cuaresma!", why didn't you say it before! Silly english speaking people and their silly words.

Still, what the hell does that ahve to do with the forum?

Edit: Oh, apparently you have to let go something you like for some sort of masoquist ritual

Edited by Eenohay