Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Steam Machine/Steambox Confirmed! Also Steam OS!

Norman

The Steam Box isn't simply "Oh, you want to play your favorite Steam games in your living room? Here's a Steam Box!"

They're targeting a larger audience, namely Console Gamers or people who can't afford (or intimidated by price) by a high-end gaming PC/Laptop they can play all their favorite games on. I mean, I can't blame them. An initial $200 pricetag is much prettier than a $1000 one. If you already have a good PC to run your games on, it is pretty much just the novelty of playing games in your living room or friend's house without having to lug your tower around. Having an even larger audience will most likely increase the sales of pretty much every game on the Steam marketplace and, I'm praying this will happen, will lead up to the sudden release of Half Life 3.

Also, with the controller, in the announcement, it "tricks" older games into thinking it's being controlled with a keyboard and mouse, and is extremely customizable.

But here's the thing, the $200 model will probably only play the most resource-light games, and you can hook a PC to a TV in a multitude of ways, HDMI output, media streaming systems, ect. 

But here's the thing, the $200 model will probably only play the most resource-light games, and you can hook a PC to a TV in a multitude of ways, HDMI output, media streaming systems, ect. 

The Xbox 360 can play Battlefield 3 at a solid 30 FPS, and it's only $180.

Anyways, that isn't the point I'm trying to make. As I already said, the Steam Box isn't being made for people who already have powerful PCs for gaming. A lot of people don't want to buy or upgrade a computer because they think it's too expensive, complicated, and/or just don't like the Keyboard and Mouse setup.

The Xbox 360 can play Battlefield 3 at a solid 30 FPS, and it's only $180.

Anyways, that isn't the point I'm trying to make. As I already said, the Steam Box isn't being made for people who already have powerful PCs for gaming. A lot of people don't want to buy or upgrade a computer because they think it's too expensive, complicated, and/or just don't like the Keyboard and Mouse setup.

Yes, but console versions of games are specifically tuned to work on the weaker console hardware, this would just be playing the PC versions. 

Yes, but console versions of games are specifically tuned to work on the weaker console hardware, this would just be playing the PC versions. 

The catch is they can do that because it's the same hardware for every system, whereas the steambox can have it's hardware customised. This is one of the main strengths of a console, yes, but I don't see it here...

The catch is they can do that because it's the same hardware for every system, whereas the steambox can have it's hardware customised. This is one of the main strengths of a console, yes, but I don't see it here...

Exactly, you're getting into a sport where you might as well just build a cheap PC and hook it to the TV. I just don't see the point besides cool factor if you have the money to blow on something like this just for the novelty.  

Here's the steps for a PC gaming machine in the living room, as it is.

-Make a list of parts on Newegg that fit your price range, including a full copy of Windows.

-Buy the parts, collect them on a workbench

-Assemble a computer, hook it up to your TV and spend half a day installing Windows on it, as well as updates and necessary programs.

-Install Steam.

Then, each time you want to play after coming home from work:

-Switch to HDMI1, boot up the computer

-Take your wireless keyboard and mouse from a drawer, and log into your Windows account.

-Use the mouse to open up Steam

-Open Steam Big Picture

-Sit back, relax, and enjoy your living room PC!

Here's how it will go on a Steam Machine:

-Buy a Steam Machine

-Hook it up to your TV, then log into Steam!

And when you want to play after coming home from work:

-Pick up your controller on the table, and press the center button.

If Apple's success has taught me anything, it's that people will pay a surprisingly large premium for convenience and simplicity. Plus, these things have almost zero chance of getting viruses or similar issues.

Oh, and as to graphical capabilities: It IS going to be a difference from the traditional consoles to have tiers of graphics. But I think some people underestimate what a cheap computer could do. Take the bane of gamers: Intel Integrated Graphics. Over the years, that chipset has gotten good enough that games like Battlefield 3 can be played on it at medium settings. That might be more than enough for a lot of people. Heck, it's practically overkill for a game like Team Fortress 2.

Up until just recently, I had a 4-year-old graphics card that could run most video games I played. I only upgraded because I had the money, and wanted an even better.

Also, keep in mind that the machines sold don't need a monitor, keyboard, or a license for an operating system.

-Buy computer, hook it up to your TV and spend half a day installing Windows on it, as well as updates and necessary programs.

-Install Steam.

Optimized this list

-Click on taskbar after steam boots up automatically (one click)

-Open Steam Big Picture (two clicks)

Optimized this too, the grabing of things is only needed if you share the TV, in which case you'd do the same for the steambox. The login can be removed, and steam can be told to boot up on startup

-Buy a Steam Machine

-Hook it up to your TV, update, then log into Steam!

It's not immune to updates. It may not take as long, but everything that connects to the internet probably updates.

If Apple's success has taught me anything, it's that people will pay a surprisingly large premium for convenience and simplicity.

Plus, these things have almost zero chance of getting viruses or similar issues.

Oh really? http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/02/20/yes-apple-really-does-have-a-serious-problem-with-computer-viruses-and-malware/

Oh, and as to graphical capabilities: It IS going to be a difference from the traditional consoles to have tiers of graphics.

And that's one of it's weak points. Since it has different hardware, you can't optimize it to run perfect. You have to be ready for a bunch of different set ups, give different video options, be ready for different types of cards and processors...that's why traditional consoles don't do that. 

But I think some people underestimate what a cheap computer could do. Take the bane of gamers: Intel Integrated Graphics. Over the years, that chipset has gotten good enough that games like Battlefield 3 can be played on it at medium settings. That might be more than enough for a lot of people. Heck, it's practically overkill for a game like Team Fortress 2.

It can run a game from about 3 years ago at half the maximum settings, and a game from 6 years ago at the max. *clap clap*  It's a good thing the graphics of modern games aren't getting better to the point of being unplayable even on the lowest settings. Sure you can play the old ones, but you're then limited to only the old ones on steam...there's a huge library of older games for the PC that it won't be able to run.

Up until just recently, I had a 4-year-old graphics card that could run most video games I played. I only upgraded because I had the money, and wanted an even better.

Why bother getting the steambox then? You already have about the same power.

Also, keep in mind that the machines sold don't need a monitor(or tv?), keyboard (or controller?), or a license for an operating system.

Also don't say "it'll be packaged with it" or "I already have a TV", you can apply the same logic to a computer. You can get ones bundled with a mouse, keyboard, the OS, and a monitor.  If you already have a TV, why not use it with you computer? And If you didn't get that stuff, why not use it with the mouse, keyboard and montier you have lying around? What if for whatever reason, you didn't have a TV? (Couldn't afford it, just moved out, broke...)

It boots faster and has steam. That's pretty much all we got. The other options are the slightly slower computer, which can also be used for other things can possesses a large library of games beyond steam after you get past the intial setup, and a new console with optimized hardware in a convenient package, ready to play any game put on it perfectly with no hassle for developer or consumer.

Edited by Outkin

*facepalm*

You still aren't seeing my point. I'm not arguing about the performance and hardware. I'm saying that Valve is targeting a larger audience, CONSOLE GAMERS. Whether you want to believe it or not, a majority of gamers are console gamers.

And for "customizability" it will most likely be put into the bear basics for names. It's less intimidating to decide between a "Hardcore or Casual" Console than deciding between a

Diamond 7870PE52GV Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFire X Support

or

Asus GeForce GTX760-DC2OC-2GD7 GTX 760 1x Dual-Link DVI-D 1x Dual-Slot

Sure, people may understand what all this mean, but really, not everybody does. Not to mention, this is only one part, theres the similar decision between CPUs and Motherboards.

And, as Katana said earlier:

-Make a list of parts on Newegg that fit your price range, including a full copy of Windows.

-Buy the parts, collect them on a workbench

-Assemble a computer, hook it up to your TV and spend half a day installing Windows on it, as well as updates and necessary programs.

-Install Steam.

-Switch to HDMI1, boot up the computer

-Take your wireless keyboard and mouse from a drawer, and log into your Windows account.

-Use the mouse to open up Steam

-Open Steam Big Picture

-Buy a Steam Machine

-Hook it up to your TV, then log into Steam!

Edited by Alison Burgers

>Weaker console Hardware

Xbox 360 2006-2009 Used Custom Tri Core Cpu @3.2-3.5 Ghz

2009- Present Slims user i5 or Custom Quad core @ 3.7-4.1 Ghz

My Xbox can runs at 120 FPS because that is the limit to it, but then again humans can't see past 60 FPS to they're is no reason for all that extra :P

For starters, it's not a console. It's a PC running a Linux distribution which Valve have just flavoured to their liking. These PC's that steam are branding as 'Steam Machines' can still run Windows and do much more than consoles can as well as being much more powerful than any console available.

TL;DR - These are not consoles, they are PC's with Linux on. More power to the open source world :'D

Yep :)

Will be interesting to see if they can keep the price down and make a good gaming pc for cheaper then current price! 

If they actually happen at a good price and as valve has said they are hoping them to, they could take off! It's all about price point, it's not with it really if you could get a normal gaming PC for the same price with same performance!

• Brohoof 1

>Weaker console Hardware

Xbox 360 2006-2009 Used Custom Tri Core Cpu @3.2-3.5 Ghz

2009- Present Slims user i5 or Custom Quad core @ 3.7-4.1 Ghz

My Xbox can runs at 120 FPS because that is the limit to it, but then again humans can't see past 60 FPS to they're is no reason for all that extra tongue.png

Explain that to mine then, I actually get minor lag on really intensive games like AC3 during sections with a lot going on like chases. I didn't say consoles were bad, but you can build a PC that overpowers them easy and for not that much. 

*facepalm*

You still aren't seeing my point. I'm not arguing about the performance and hardware. I'm saying that Valve is targeting a larger audience, CONSOLE GAMERS. Whether you want to believe it or not, a majority of gamers are console gamers.

And for "customizability" it will most likely be put into the bear basics for names. It's less intimidating to decide between a "Hardcore or Casual" Console than deciding between a

Diamond 7870PE52GV Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFire X Support

or

Sure, people may understand what all this mean, but really, not everybody does. Not to mention, this is only one part, theres the similar decision between CPUs and Motherboards.

And, as Katana said earlier:

I am a console gamer, I literally own everything from a Atari 2600 to a Xbox 360 and a Wii, and I plan to build a gaming PC someday as well because I'll play on pretty much anything.

And you're missing my point, the fact there's going to be multiple versions with different capabilities is going to make just as confusing. 

Edited by Shoboni

Explain that to mine then, I actually get minor lag on really intensive games like AC3 during sections with a lot going on like chases. I didn't say consoles were bad, but you can build a PC that overpowers them easy and for not that much. 

PC games would freeze as well if they were loaded from Discs my friend almost everything does. It simple logic that you are missing here. No offense.

PC games would freeze as well if they were loaded from Discs my friend almost everything does. It simple logic that you are missing here. No offense.

Who the fuck loads a PC game from a CD now? If you're not using Steam or Origin and GOG or DirectDrive or any sort of Downloadable Delivery System then I really do feel sorry for you if you call yourself a PC gamer. xD

EDIT: JUST FOR CLARIFICATION, WHEN I SAY YOU, I MEAN PEOPLE IN GENERAL.

Edited by Ella.Smith
  • Brohoof 2

Who the fuck loads a PC game from a CD now? If you're not using Steam or Origin and GOG or DirectDrive or any sort of Downloadable Delivery System then I really do feel sorry for you if you call yourself a PC gamer. xD

No you misunderstood, so please go back and read for a minute here. Besides the Fact I'm a console gamer who just so happened to have a really expensive gaming computer. Come on now the only PC games I play is TF2, Arma 2, DayZ, Arma 3, WiC and Counter strike GO.

• Brohoof 1

So basically... I'm going to be putting Steam onto my TV to play games? Wouldn't that just be like hooking my computer up to the TV with a HDMI cable? I don't get it.

• Brohoof 1

I am a console gamer, I literally own everything from a Atari 2600 to a Xbox 360 and a Wii, and I plan to build a gaming PC someday as well because I'll play on pretty much anything.

And you're missing my point, the fact there's going to be multiple versions with different capabilities is going to make just as confusing. 

No, I responded to your point already. From the same post:

And for different models, it will most likely be put into the bear basics for names. It will be less intimidating to decide between a "Hardcore or Casual" Console than deciding between a

or

I mean really, do you expect Valve to make console gamers have to learn what every part of the console does for it to work?

Edited by Alison Burgers

So basically... I'm going to be putting Steam onto my TV to play games? Wouldn't that just be like hooking my computer up to the TV with a HDMI cable? I don't get it.

When you put it that way... Yes, besides the fact that it will have good hardware and a new OS. So make your choice if you no has good specs.

*Slams head on table*

I EXPLAINED IT ALREADY. WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING THIS SAME GODDAMN QUESTION?!

Valve is targeting a larger audience of gamers. Console Gamers. Believe it or not, console gamers are more prevalent than PC.

• Brohoof 1

*Slams head on table*

I EXPLAINED IT ALREADY. WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING THIS SAME GODDAMN QUESTION?!

Valve is targeting a larger audience of gamers. Console Gamers. Believe it or not, console gamers are more prevalent than PC.

Why don't you ask the OP to add that information into the original post then?

Anyway, when explained like that, I get it, I guess. :P

Why don't you ask the OP to add that information into the original post then?

Anyway, when explained like that, I get it, I guess. tongue.png

Sorry, It's just that the post I made explaining it was on the same page as yours. So yeah. It's just getting annoying trying to explain "Valve is targeting console gamers and will make it as simple as possible, having a Casual, Hardcore, Mid-Range, etc kind of categorization for the different models" And that translates to "blah blah blah console blah blah cheap blah blah same as a pc"

In reply to Outkin in red:

-Buy computer, hook it up to your TV and spend half a day installing Windows on it, as well as updates and necessary programs.

-Install Steam.

Optimized this list

Well, here you're assuming that there are a good number of pre-built computers that satisfy the following criteria: Doesn't come with a monitor/input, built for performance gaming, and either comes without bloatware, or allows you to install the OS yourself. That's actually not an easy thing for the average consumer to find and buy.

-Click on taskbar after steam boots up automatically (one click)

-Open Steam Big Picture (two clicks)

Optimized this too, the grabing of things is only needed if you share the TV, in which case you'd do the same for the steambox. The login can be removed, and steam can be told to boot up on startup

Heck, in my house, it's just me and my roommate. We're both gamers. And we both use the TV for plenty of other things. Anytime we want to play games on my gaming laptop, there is plenty of switching up the hardware. Skipping the whole cable-switching stuff, I like to save power, so I would definitely turn my laptop off after usage. We both use controllers for couch gaming, and so I pull my mouse out of a drawer SPECIFICALLY to login to Windows and set up Steam. The number of clicks being 2 or 3 is kind of irrelevant if the mouse and keyboard are a non-standard input for what you're doing. If someone is buying a new, Windows 8 computer, and wants to sync it to their MS account (something MS heavily pushes) they WILL need to log in on each startup.

-Buy a Steam Machine

-Hook it up to your TV, update, then log into Steam!

It's not immune to updates. It may not take as long, but everything that connects to the internet probably updates.

If Apple's success has taught me anything, it's that people will pay a surprisingly large premium for convenience and simplicity.

Plus, these things have almost zero chance of getting viruses or similar issues.

Oh really? http://www.forbes.co...es-and-malware/

Yup. You linked to an article about Apple. Linux has even tighter security, not to mention the extreme number of different distributions and hot-swappable components means that even IF a hacker wanted to go for it, they would have no common targets to go for. Steam OS would not even become the most popular version of Linux, so even THEN it wouldn't be in the spotlight.

Oh, and as to graphical capabilities: It IS going to be a difference from the traditional consoles to have tiers of graphics.

And that's one of it's weak points. Since it has different hardware, you can't optimize it to run perfect. You have to be ready for a bunch of different set ups, give different video options, be ready for different types of cards and processors...that's why traditional consoles don't do that.

It's both a weak point and a strong point. It's what I'd call a tradeoff. Plenty of people are perfectly okay with having an iPhone or iPad as a gaming device, it seems; those are obviously much less powerful than even the current generation of consoles, but there are thousands of games on those people love. And on the other hand, a multitude of people are completely unsatisfied with the current power of consoles and want something even more expensive and powerful! If you think it won't work, you may need to see two existing examples: Android (where phones have all kinds of different processors, but all get access to the same game stores) and on PCs, the "GeForce Experience" software, which tunes your games based on your current hardware. If it can be automated for the user, it's an even easier experience for them.

But I think some people underestimate what a cheap computer could do. Take the bane of gamers: Intel Integrated Graphics. Over the years, that chipset has gotten good enough that games like Battlefield 3 can be played on it at medium settings. That might be more than enough for a lot of people. Heck, it's practically overkill for a game like Team Fortress 2.

It can run a game from about 3 years ago at half the maximum settings, and a game from 6 years ago at the max. *clap clap*  It's a good thing the graphics of modern games aren't getting better to the point of being unplayable even on the lowest settings. Sure you can play the old ones, but you're then limited to only the old ones on steam...there's a huge library of older games for the PC that it won't be able to run.

If you look closely, you may see that by and large, games aren't getting a whole lot more graphically intensive. Oh, and the game I mentioned from 6 years ago is still being played today, in larger numbers than games that came out 3 months ago. I might as well include games like DOTA 2 and League of Legends in the statistics, which still have droves of players.

The section of consumers that likes their new-age consoles, and the section that always wants their games to look absolute cutting-edge with all the latest lighting effects...are not always intersected. Plenty of people who see god-rays in a game and think "Who the hell cares? Just let me play, I want to see what the new skill system is about..." will be getting a lower-end Steam Machine. People who ENJOY all that will get one that's more powerful than either the Xbox One OR Playstation 4.

Why bother getting the steambox then? You already have about the same power.

Same reason I'd bother getting a smartphone or tablet. I already have that power, but the convenience matters to me, and it's not a monumental cost. Heck, I enjoy using my PS3 for Netflix even when my laptop is fully capable of it. But this is really targeted at people who positively cringe at technical terms like "graffix cart".

Also, keep in mind that the machines sold don't need a monitor(or tv?), keyboard (or controller?), or a license for an operating system.

Also don't say "it'll be packaged with it" or "I already have a TV", you can apply the same logic to a computer. You can get ones bundled with a mouse, keyboard, the OS, and a monitor.  If you already have a TV, why not use it with you computer? And If you didn't get that stuff, why not use it with the mouse, keyboard and montier you have lying around? What if for whatever reason, you didn't have a TV? (Couldn't afford it, just moved out, broke...)

Funny enough, I do apply this same logic to console gamers when they say PC gaming is expensive. It's true that the total cost breaks down even when looked at that way - but not when you factor in convenience. Many people already have a computer that could become a gaming computer (but not everyone - laptops are a huge share of the PC market), and many people already have a TV station. My opinion is buying a Steam Machine would be a simpler, easier investment (though possibly a little bit more expensive) than buying a computer upgrade and manually installing it all.

But believing that people should use their existing computer with their TV is ridiculous. Even when it's a laptop, people bring these things around with them all the time, and the constant plugging-in and unplugging would get very annoying for many consumers, not to mention the interface disparity. Here we come back to the same reasons people play consoles. It's easier.

It boots faster and has steam. That's pretty much all we got. The other options are the slightly slower computer, which can also be used for other things can possesses a large library of games beyond steam after you get past the intial setup, and a new console with optimized hardware in a convenient package, ready to play any game put on it perfectly with no hassle for developer or consumer.

I should note that the SteamOS will almost 99%-certain be able to run any Linux game, and that list is likely to increase if SteamOS catches on, the same way Amazon made an app store after Android caught on. Plus, I would say being able to interact with solely a controller; no keyboard or mouse; is a huge boon for Steam Machines. The one-button startup is a huge sell to consumers begging for simplicity.

Which system has  how many of which games has always been the selling factor, and that's yet to be seen. SteamOS isn't likely to steal a significant number of gamers in love with Call of Duty, GTA, and Assassin's Creed, but when stepping outside of the gaming forums, you may find at least enough people interested enough to make Valve's investment worth it.

Oh, and just to throw it all in: When a console gamer is considering a Steam Machine, let's not forget PC gaming's inherent advantages: Cheap games, on-platform competition, no licensing cost for developers, KB/mouse play, F2P games, screenshots/movies/machinima, modding, etc...

You do realize that modern drives can read discs so fast that isn't an issue, the only way that has a effect is if you have really crappy hardware that can't handle reading from a drive and running a program at the same time. By that logic I should be having the same problems on my Wii, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast, and I don't.

It's just a matter of games not getting optimized for the consoles right, which has been a big problem this gen. 

In the end, I just so see it unless you have the money to blow just for the cool factor of having something like this. 

No, I responded to your point already. From the same post:

And for different models, it will most likely be put into the bear basics for names. It will be less intimidating to decide between a "Hardcore or Casual" Console than deciding between a

or

I mean really, do you expect Valve to make console gamers have to learn what every part of the console does for it to work?

And that's just making an excuse for it, and for people to lazy to learn about what they're buying. It's not that hard to look up GPUs and see what games they can run. and CPUs are so easy to pick that's not even a issue.

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

You do realize that modern drives can read discs so fast that isn't an issue, the only way that has a effect is if you have really crappy hardware that can't handle reading from a drive and running a program at the same time. By that logic I should be having the same problems on my Wii, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast, and I don't.

It's just a matter of games not getting optimized for the consoles right, which has been a big problem this gen. 

In the end, I just so see it unless you have the money to blow just for the cool factor of having something like this. 

Dear Princess Celestia,

I have found someone who can have a friendly argument with me and win... Half ways. What should I do now?

No but modern disc drives are only 7200 RPM and the Hard drive reads most games at 20-35/mb Along with the clear consumption of ram and insufficent cooling unit. Alot of things factor here so it is un clear but PC is master race.

• Brohoof 1

And that's just making an excuse for it, and for people to lazy to learn about what they're buying. It's not that hard to look up GPUs and see what games they can run. and CPUs are so easy to pick that's not even a issue.

What do you mean "making an excuse for it"? Making an excuse for the Steam Console to be a good idea? I don't know about you, but I don't think somebody should be forced to do 12 hours of research to find compatible parts for a good PC just so they can play a video game.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I have found someone who can have a friendly argument with me and win... Half ways. What should I do now?

No but modern disc drives are only 7200 RPM and the Hard drive reads most games at 20-35/mb Along with the clear consumption of ram and insufficent cooling unit. Alot of things factor here so it is un clear but PC is master race.

I think to main draw of consoles when don right is the fact their simple, pop in a disc, fire up you controller and your on your way. That comes at the expense of not being able to upgrade the already cheap hardware(I believe the new console only have entry level GPUs). 

If you want cooling problems try a PS2 Slim, I once burned one up in all of two heavy gaming sessions because it overheated so bad(I assume due to the compact design)

What do you mean "making an excuse for it"? Making an excuse for the Steam Console to be a good idea? I don't know about you, but I don't think somebody should be forced to do 12 hours of research to find compatible parts for a good PC just so they can play a video game.

That's a massive exaggeration, you could probably figure out what you needed in under an hour, and "just so you can play a game" is as well because a decent computer can go all kinda of fun and useful things.

And better yet, just buy a console if you want it that simple.  I'm not saying it's bad, but it is what it is, a novelty like the Ouya.   

Edited by Shoboni