Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Steam Machine/Steambox Confirmed! Also Steam OS!

Norman

I think to main draw of consoles when don right is the fact their simple, pop in a disc, fire up you controller and your on your way. That comes at the expense of not being able to upgrade the already cheap hardware(I believe the new console only have entry level GPUs). 

If you want cooling problems try a PS2 Slim, I once burned one up in all of two heavy gaming sessions because it overheated so bad(I assume due to the compact design)

My Xbox hasn't burnt up ever and I play for Days on end. My friend hasn't turned his slim off for about 3 weeks now and mine for about 2 weeks now. They run good without any problems, Expect heating the house up but that is about it. Besides they are past entry level PC's, most Xbox/Ps gamea are Defaulted High while PC can go Ultra so it is debatable.

Edited by a Pegasus Pony

My Xbox hasn't burnt up ever and I play for Days on end. My friend hasn't turned his slim off for about 3 weeks now and mine for about 2 weeks now. They run good without any problems, Expect heating the house up but that is about it. Besides they are past entry level PC's, most Xbox/Ps gamea are Defaulted High while PC can go Ultra so it is debatable.

I said PS2 Slim, it's really the only console I've had hearing problems with. Most of the time consoles cool well, but that one system is just horrible. 

I said PS2 Slim, it's really the only console I've had hearing problems with. Most of the time consoles cool well, but that one system is just horrible. 

You know what... I've never really had a console overheat on me so I can't really answer or accept your answer... I need one just to test that out

You know what... I've never really had a console overheat on me so I can't really answer or accept your answer... I need one just to test that out

I think it's because they crammed everything in such a small and tight encasing, because the fat PS2s work just fine as far as I've seen.

You do realize that modern drives can read discs so fast that isn't an issue, the only way that has a effect is if you have really crappy hardware that can't handle reading from a drive and running a program at the same time. By that logic I should be having the same problems on my Wii, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and Dreamcast, and I don't.

It's just a matter of games not getting optimized for the consoles right, which has been a big problem this gen. 

In the end, I just so see it unless you have the money to blow just for the cool factor of having something like this. 

And that's just making an excuse for it, and for people to lazy to learn about what they're buying. It's not that hard to look up GPUs and see what games they can run. and CPUs are so easy to pick that's not even a issue.

Actually, CD and DVD drives have always been slow compared to hard drives. That's why many of the more intensive current-gen games will "install" themselves to your disc so you can play them. (Example) It's also one of the myriad of reasons why Microsoft wanted the Xbox One to primarily use the hard drive, and give up on discs (which got messed up by their backtracking)

Usually, developers give people loading screens to combat slow loading times. Failing all else, they have more seamless loading times, where your character is put into an elevator, or a long cutscene in a small room, or something. That's why most games don't see much stuttering. (It's one advantage of knowing everyone's on the same hardware). Remember that when you're in a level, blasting bad guys, there's usually not much loading going on.

Sorry, but I'm flat-out disagreeing with you about GPUs being easy to buy. They're huge, semi-fragile circuit boards that you shouldn't touch in the wrong spot. They have no easy numeral to reference which ones are faster. None of them are going to come with a stamp saying "This will run GTA 5!" for you. Then suppose someone buys one, and asks "Okay...now where does this plug into my laptop?"

Go ahead and make fun of people who don't know the first thing about building computers. I'm betting meanwhile, chefs are not making fun of those who can't cook a 3-course meal, and mechanics are not making fun of those who can't change their car's oil using household items.

I agree with the sentiments that a great computer can be used for all kinds of things. But the number of people who use consoles is proof positive that that argument is not solid enough for everyone. You then go on to say "get a console if you want that simplicity". OR, if you want the advantages that go with a PC (customization, community, super-super-cheap games, a trillion other things) you can get a Steam Machine. Keep it simple, AND keep it a PC.

A

I agree with the sentiments that a great computer can be used for all kinds of things. But the number of people who use consoles is proof positive that that argument is not solid enough for everyone. You then go on to say "get a console if you want that simplicity". OR, if you want the advantages that go with a PC (customization, community, super-super-cheap games, a trillion other things) you can get a Steam Machine. Keep it simple, AND keep it a PC.

You can get super cheap games on consoles to if you're willing to buy used, I paid $8 for Skyrim in a pawnshop, and that's for a hard copy.

On the GPU thing, it's not hard to look up GPU benchmarks for the type of games you want to play. 

Alright, I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on the GPU thing. That kind of research gets beyond what non-techies are willing to commit to, in my opinion...

For one thing, at least where I live, prices that low even for used games are uncommon. It also might depend on how many stores you're willing to walk around to try to find the game you're looking for. I think I'll have to see how many people are in agreement...

For another thing, the used-games market is a profitable business...for the stores that resell them. Currently, each time a developer sells a game, they give a cut to the console owner, a cut to the publisher, many small cuts to the licenses and technologies used to make the game, and a sizable cut to the retailer.

I'm not going to debate the morality of used games, but to try to put it simply, if 3 people are going to pay a combined sum of $60 to a game store on a game, I would rather that be an entry price of $20 for each. If half of that goes to the developer, both developer and game store get $30.

With a game store, it might be: $40 from the first-buyer, $20 of which goes to the developer. First-buyer sells it back, and gets $10. Sold to second-buyer for $25, who then sells it back for $5, and then goes to third-buyer for $10. In that scenario, for the one copy of the game, the developer gets $20, while the game store gets $40. Plus, the first-buyer has to spend more, on average, than the others, and at the end of the day only one of them has the game in their catalog.

We might end up finding that cost model to be more enticing to developers; enough so that they might be willing to move to SteamOS even when consumers aren't.

Im finding that the whole steam box thing very interesting!

Will hold on buying any new consoles untill i see what this holds, as a pc gamer this would deinatly satisfy my need to play pc games while sat in a sofa!

It would also mean tht i would not have to buy a TV and a PC screen!