Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would you think about an anime version of MLP?

InvaderShy

MLP anime version  

50 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's a good idea to make an anime version of MLP?

• It's not a good idea. It's an excellent idea.
    • Maybe, perhaps, I'm not sure. I still have my doubts.
    • No way, that could mean the doom of the series

Well, as long as it was adventure-themed and didn't go the route that the PPG anime went, then I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

The issue though is that the style of FiM is one thing that attracts us to the show. An anime would be a departure from that, so the style would take some getting used to...well, depending on who animated it. You're gonna get different results depending on which company animated it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know how I would feel if MLP was an anime. I feel that their designs would look too odd.

I do, however, think that it would be awesome if the show was more 'Sonic X'-ORIENTED.

which more adventure, suspense, and seriousness.

(And not being ruined by 4Kids).

• Brohoof 4

bAA1t28.png

Seeing as Friendship is Magic presently is already at Stage 8 Animes, I'm not sure how much farther we could go. Unless we rolled back a bit on the giant eyes.

It wouldn't be impossible for it to become some variety of Magical Girl whatevers but one thing's for certain, I wouldn't buy it.

I would be doubtful of quality.

• Brohoof 2

bAA1t28.png

Seeing as Friendship is Magic presently is already at Stage 8 Animes, I'm not sure how much farther we could go. Unless we rolled back a bit on the giant eyes.

It wouldn't be impossible for it to become some variety of Magical Girl whatevers but one thing's for certain, I wouldn't buy it.

I would be doubtful of quality.

Oh god that pic is killing me XD

You hit it right on the head though, mlp is about as "anime" as you can get. the only thing they are missing is that giant sweat drop when they get nervous or those vein bulges when they get mad or fustrated.

I don't know how I would feel if MLP was an anime. I feel that their designs would look too odd.

I do, however, think that it would be awesome if the show was more 'Sonic X'-ORIENTED.

Yup, that's exactly how I'd want it to be like. The ponies themselves don't have to look overly anime-ish either. The Sonic characters in Sonic X looks just about like how they looked in their Sonic Adventure art pics. The ponies could look a bit like the ones in the original show, just a bit of a more different style.

Also, it could have a few full length movies thrown in the mix as well, being a bit like the Pokemon movies.

Edited by vgmaster9

Eh, I don't know. There's already a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic over here, so having an My Little Pony anime seems a bit redundant to me. I just don't see the point of having two My Little Pony cartoons on air at the same time.

Edited by Blue Moon

That moment when people magically believe that "anime" is somehow different from "cartoon".

Ehhh... better be a bit more precise in your speaking terms there...  anime does literally mean cartoon... however, this thread is talking about the Japanese anime style.  Which, IS different from the American anime style.

You must have an Otaku level of zero.  On a scale of 1 to 10.  Where 1 is none, 10 is WOT (wide open throttle) Otaku.  

(My Otaku level is probably only a 3 or 4.  Thanks to my new college friend, that is.)

Ehhh... better be a bit more precise in your speaking terms there...  anime does literally mean cartoon... however, this thread is talking about the Japanese anime style.  Which, IS different from the American anime style.

You must have an Otaku level of zero.  On a scale of 1 to 10.  Where 1 is none, 10 is WOT (wide open throttle) Otaku.  

(My Otaku level is probably only a 3 or 4.  Thanks to my new college friend, that is.)

Your arbitrary numbering system means nothing to me. I've been watching anime and reading manga semi-regularly for the last fifteen years. :P

I understand that there is often a difference between American and Japanese animation and that's mainly because of culture and the decision to make shows based on that culture but that isn't necessarily what makes anime, it just happens to be what anime is like. Coincidence.

I don't really feel like MLP would necessarily have to change if it were to become "anime". That would be a conscious decision to make a Japan-relevant version of the show.

But I guess I'm possibly splitting hairs at this point. I suppose people in this topic specifically want an MLP that's made with the same mindsets as anime.

• Brohoof 2

Your arbitrary numbering system means nothing to me. I've been watching anime and reading manga semi-regularly for the last fifteen years. :P

I understand that there is often a difference between American and Japanese animation and that's mainly because of culture and the decision to make shows based on that culture but that isn't necessarily what makes anime, it just happens to be what anime is like. Coincidence.

I don't really feel like MLP would necessarily have to change if it were to become "anime". That would be a conscious decision to make a Japan-relevant version of the show.

I guess then, I don't see how you can say that you don't think there'd need to be much change for MLP to go from what it is now to [Japanese] Anime.  I think alot would need to change.  But meh, I digress.  It's not really a big deal to me, tbh.

I'm just a country boy who likes MLP as it is.

b4e855960e.png

• Brohoof 1

I just really don't see how that could turn out well for anyone. Japanese anime differs quite a bit in terms of quality as well as animation style (though MLP is quite close to anime style) but in general would probably lose a lot of the feel that we have come to know, love and expect from MLP. In others words if it's not broke, don't fix it. :blush:

I guess then, I don't see how you can say that you don't think there'd need to be much change for MLP to go from what it is now to [Japanese] Anime.  I think alot would need to change.  But meh, I digress.  It's not really a big deal to me, tbh.

I'm just a country boy who likes MLP as it is.

img-2985387-1-b4e855960e.png

Nothing needs to change. Creative direction is not tied down so easily as all that. If they changed anything it would have to be a conscious decision to make it different. Not all anime is influenced by the fact that it's made by Japanese people in Japanese culture. Not even one of the elements in Japanese anime is unique to anime, it just happens to be a commonly used element in the medium.

Im not sure i would feel about this i mean they would def make them look better then the equasta girl looked (if they made that again) but japanese anime is pretty amazing graphics... So i mighht be for it

• Brohoof 1

That moment when people magically believe that "anime" is somehow different from "cartoon".

While both are caricatures that may be animated, anime usually has visually distinct features for characters, and a more "limited animation" style for depicting movement. Anime usually runs at 13-20 FPS there are some rare Occurrences such as high intensity scenes in which it goes to 30. Cartoons usually run at a steady 25-30 FPS at all times because generally they have less movement involved and are easier to animated fluidly. 

Anime Character Design

Distinct facial expressions. Wide variation in physical characteristics. Physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than cartoons.

post-25968-0-40891400-1408172651.jpg

Cartoon Character Design

Characters usually have features that are not relative to the rest of the body and therefore further from reality than anime.

post-25968-0-29923300-1408172665.jpg

Anime Definition (English)

English dictionaries define the word as ‘Japanese style of motion picture animation’.

Cartoon Definition

A cartoon was used as a model or study for a painting but is now associated with caricatures for humor and satire.

Anime Plots or Themes

Anime concentrates mostly on life issues or things tied closer to human emotion and has more violent and sexual themes.

post-25968-0-68655800-1408172723.jpg

Cartoon Plots or Themes

Cartoons are generally made to make people laugh and so are more comical.

post-25968-0-29425900-1408172838.jpg

At their Base yes they are both the same and while both can dip into the others form from time to time they usually stay very constant, but they have very Different meanings. Not arguing just sharing the Differences for educational purpose.

post-25968-0-90511500-1408172540_thumb.jpg

Now do I think MLP should be an Anime?...No because it would need to have some sort of flow that I don't think MLP FIM can keep up with for more than one or 2 episodes at a time. Anime is usually Long stories sometimes lasting for huge periods of time (One Piece i think is on season 22 after 15 years) they would have to change so much of the MLP formula that it wouldn't be anything like itself anymore and I don't think it would hold the same Charm.

But for a taste a fan made this

Edited by Digit
  • Brohoof 3

Hmm, if it stuck with the fantasy and slice of life style, and kept it at least TV-PG or lower, I might watch it. 

The thing is I can't see them doing it.

I don't really think FiM would work all that wall as an anime, but I always thought that EG would have been better as an anime, but that's just because I disliked the animation style and thought the girls looked really weird.  So, an anime EG might be good, but I think that's as far as I'd go.  But certainly if they made an anime MLP, I'd check it out.

Considering how styilized that MLP already is, i don't think it would work as an anime.  However, i wouldn't mind seeing  Equestria Girls in an anime  style, especially if it was in the style that Digit posted up topic with "My Little Anime'. 

• Brohoof 1

Nor introducing young kids who are the main focus instead of the characters WHO MADE IS WATCH THE SERIES IN THE FIRST PLACE  :angry:. I mean, seriously, if I want to watch an anime based on Sonic, I WANT A FUCKING ANIME BASED ON SONIC, NOT ON A LONELY RICH KID MOST OF THE TIME MARY SUE WITH SONIC ON THE SIDELINES AND HARDLY ANY LINES  :angry:

Edited by Zekromic
  • Brohoof 3

Nor introducing young kids who are the main focus instead of the characters WHO MADE IS WATCH THE SERIES IN THE FIRST PLACE  :angry:. I mean, seriously, if I want to watch an anime based on Sonic, I WANT A FUCKING ANIME BASED ON SONIC, NOT ON A LONELY RICH KID MOST OF THE TIME MARY SUE WITH SONIC ON THE SIDELINES AND HARDLY ANY LINES  :angry:

Just imagine if Megan and her siblings from G1 were brought back and were made the central characters of such series and the ponies being more minor *shudders*.

Edited by vgmaster9

I wouldn't like that too much for two reasons:

1) The animation style is already perfect, in my opinion

2) I don't like anime art styles very much (it's just weird most of the time, namely facial expressions)