Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is My Little Ponys Planet Called?

Harmony And Rarity

Before I went to bed I realized that the writers never talk about the geographical part of MLP except Hearths Warming Eve. But it clearly stated that Equestria is the name of a land that the 3 types of ponies found. What about their land before? and I don't think they named their whole PLANET Equestria, so what do you bronies and pegasisters think about our beloved MLP universe?

Well in many fan fics The Doctor refers to the planet Equis. So if you want to put that in your head cannon go right ahead. Other than that I don't know the name of planet; Than again Twilight did say in the episode Too Many Pinkie Pie

"Pinkie Pie,what in the wide world of Equestria are you doing?"

So Equis or Equestria you choose

• Brohoof 2

I never thought about that before. Maybe the writers thought we just wouldn't care, but now I'm curious about the name of the planet. I imagine it would be some sort of horse pun. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

I never thought about that before. Maybe the writers thought we just wouldn't care, but now I'm curious about the name of the planet. I imagine it would be some sort of horse pun. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Well no it's not a major thing.

I thought it was equistria

heh hay now that twilight sparkle is an alicorn someone needs to send her a letter and ask this.

I don't know the exact name ;P But someone made a map of the World, and it looks like Equestria is only a small part of the World. Although it's not canon, it does seem like an interesting thing to look at:

equestria_and_beyond__rev_8_1_by_hlissne

The real map shows that there's more places other than Equestria if you look to the right of the map:

Map_of_Equestria_April_2013.jpg

Edited by Rainbow Dash Loyalty
  • Brohoof 2

Based on the map of Equestria, the land of griffins lies to the east while Dragons reside in the southeast (Yay! img-1878639-1-yay.png  The ninja above has provided said map). Since their are various sapient species, the planet's name shouldn't be dictated by Equines alone. They may have their own name for it, but an all encompassing name would be the most fitting. "Harmonia"...or something. Given how such different creatures can coexist. Though some Dragons need a good stare from time to time img-1878639-2-tongue.png 

In Heart's Warming Eve, Chancellor Pudding-Head had a newsflash for Smart Cookie: "The Earth is round, there is no up or down". If this came from almost anyone else, it'd be more fun to joke about it being called Earth- but Pinkie (and her possible ancestor) break the 4th wall so often, she may have forgotten which world she's currently in! Plus, Smart Cookie suggest the name Earth when the Chancellor dubs the land Dirtville.

Less exciting theory: it's called Earth because they invented a similar term for the land. Earth ponies got their name from somewhere, right?

Idealistic theory: They never give it a name because it's not a fixed place. It's a world the inhabitants create. Not a magical land to escape to, but one to work towards and strive for.

And that's about all the ones I want to mention. Not sure what the comic canon has to say on this, but it appears to run separately from the show anyhow.

Edited by Starlight Sky

it is most likely called Earth as the ponies are Dubbed Earth Ponies. It would make sense since Earth would be a Place know for creatures to wander and ponder about. It would make sense if you think about the term earth. Equestria would be a Province like Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls Series.

• Brohoof 1

I do not believe they ever mention a name for their "planet" (nor do i believe the writers have come up with one; yet). Who knows, maybe with Season 4 potentially taking the cast to more exotic locations, they will make a canon term for the planet.

Personally I prefer Equus, but i'm willing to bet they'll just end up calling it Earth.

The planet is named Equestria itself. Fanfics are just theories but not fictionally confirmed in exsistence of the fictional omniverse.

This provides conflicting and confusing information though. It's already been mentioned several times in canon (And by Lauren Faust herself if I remember correctly) that Equestria is in fact a country. There's even a canon map showing it as only a portion of the planet. It would be pretty odd if both the planet and the country were named Equestria, don't you think?

Now, one theory I heard was that the ponies themselves consider the world "Equestria", because as far as they know, that is the extent of their world. However, with the confirmation of a Griffon Empire, (and some sort of dragon kingdom) both residing outside of Equestria, it seems likely that a different term would be used to describe the planet in it's entirety.

Edited by TheGr3ml1n
  • Brohoof 1

Equus, is the common fanon name of the planet in which the MLP FIM Ponies live.

Equus, is used in many fan fictions as the name of the planet. 

Edited by Rush

I do not believe they ever mention a name for their "planet" (nor do i believe the writers have come up with one; yet). Who knows, maybe with Season 4 potentially taking the cast to more exotic locations, they will make a canon term for the planet.

Personally I prefer Equus, but i'm willing to bet they'll just end up calling it Earth.

This provides conflicting and confusing information though. It's already been mentioned several times in canon (And by Lauren Faust herself if I remember correctly) that Equestria is in fact a country. There's even a canon map showing it as only a portion of the planet. It would be pretty odd if both the planet and the country were named Equestria, don't you think?

Now, one theory I heard was that the ponies themselves consider the world "Equestria", because as far as they know, that is the extent of their world. However, with the confirmation of a Griffon Empire, (and some sort of dragon kingdom) both residing outside of Equestria, it seems likely that a different term would be used to describe the planet in it's entirety.

Just calling that planet Equestria! LOL! Why do we need to call it Equus?

Confusing and the name is not high almightly attracting.

If the planet name was Equus, then that is implying that the pony is the dominant race of all others, which is incorrect. Politically, other countries would disagree on the name.

I prefer to call it Phylum. Just because it sounds good and I expect the dominant species to at least have a backbone (then again, Chordata sounds good).

The planet name isn't mentioned, so it'll be impossible to give it a name altogether. But I do believe Equestria is a world power, since their land seems promisingly big, and all mapmakers seem to agree on that.

If the planet name was Equus, then that is implying that the pony is the dominant race of all others, which is incorrect. Politically, other countries would disagree on the name.

I prefer to call it Phylum. Just because it sounds good and I expect the dominant species to at least have a backbone (then again, Chordata sounds good).

The planet name isn't mentioned, so it'll be impossible to give it a name altogether. But I do believe Equestria is a world power, since their land seems promisingly big, and all mapmakers seem to agree on that.

They're a little more than a world power. Without Celestia and Luna to raise the sun and moon, the world would... well, be sad. And without the Elements of Harmony and their bearers, the world would be in a state of eternal chaos.

I have no idea what the world is called, though... I don't have a problem with the name Equis, though.

They're a little more than a world power. Without Celestia and Luna to raise the sun and moon, the world would... well, be sad. And without the Elements of Harmony and their bearers, the world would be in a state of eternal chaos.

I have no idea what the world is called, though... I don't have a problem with the name Equis, though.

The unicorns can still attempt to "raise" the sun like they did before, but it'll be difficult. And it isn't just the Elements of Harmony; I think a good deal of populace are self sufficient, now with the majorly god like antagonists dealt with.

And if I had to take it to a completely different extent...the sun is actually capable of raising itself, their solar system is a part heliocentric system with their life planet and sun revolving around each other, and Celestia and Luna "raise" the sun and moon in order to maintain its orbit.

The unicorns can still attempt to "raise" the sun like they did before, but it'll be difficult. And it isn't just the Elements of Harmony; I think a good deal of populace are self sufficient, now with the majorly god like antagonists dealt with.

And if I had to take it to a completely different extent...the sun is actually capable of raising itself, their solar system is a part heliocentric system with their life planet and sun revolving around each other, and Celestia and Luna "raise" the sun and moon in order to maintain its orbit.

But that would mean momentum didn't exist... I mean, why would the sun and moon need extra pushes to get going?

Anyhow, getting off-topic here...

The planet gets called earth several times in the series. In Feeling Pinkie Keen, Twilight says "Earth to Pinkie!". In Hearths Warming Eve, Chancellor Puddinghead said "The Earth is round, there is no up or down." Her assistant Smart Cookie even mentions the name Earth and 1/3 the pony population are called Earth ponies.

So Equestria may be part of  Earth in either it's distant past, future or alternate universe.

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

it is most likely called Earth as the ponies are Dubbed Earth Ponies. It would make sense since Earth would be a Place know for creatures to wander and ponder about. It would make sense if you think about the term earth. Equestria would be a Province like Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls Series.

The Earth ponies are only called "Earth" Ponies because they're the race that tends the land and is mostly made up of farmers. "earth" is another name for dirt or soil and the term "Earth" Pony kind of makes sense in that context

• Brohoof 1

Like said above, Earth means basically the ground in English. Terra means ground in Latin. Head cannon: the "translators" who "dubbed" the dialogue translated their word for ground/planet they are on to the English word "earth". Anyone know what they call earth ponies in the other language translations?

I prefer to avoid using earth in any sort of connection to the pony world. Yes, they have a sun and a moon, but they work SO MUCh different from our world that the connection just doesn't work.

In any case, we don't know, and I won't care a guess.

• 7 months later...