Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why do fans attach certain things?

FNGRpony

You know what i'm talking about.
What is Sombre Lord donut steal.

why does lyria know about humans (I love this one to death LOL, I'm totally on board, but why?  I mean Lyria has surpassed durpie as my favorite back ground ponie)

yes I get she has that one sit pose, but from that fans have gone on a high level of crazy I've never seen (AND I LOVE IT!).

Did someone say something at panel or something?

You know what i'm talking about.

What is Sombre Lord donut steal.

why does lyria know about humans (I love this one to death LOL, I'm totally on board, but why?  I mean Lyria has surpassed durpie as my favorite back ground ponie)

yes I get she has that one sit pose, but from that fans have gone on a high level of crazy I've never seen (AND I LOVE IT!).

Did someone say something at panel or something?

Lyra sat like a human in an episode, which turned into a joke about her liking humans, resulting in a popular fanfiction about it.

I guess one person just comes up with a good idea and everyone else seems to like it :P!

I'm sure there are plenty of things that fan's have not got attached to, I think it just needs to be at the right time to really take off!

For characters that are very prominent and people want a name a 1/2 decent one will stick and then its just goes from there, especially with the many talented writers among us!

well it's not just in fan fiction it's in alot fan made episodes

in dan vs Lyria is pawing at dan's hands all mesmorized.  At that time I didn't know who lyria was or why the hell she was doing it.

I've seen a dr hooves series where she over hears the dr mention humans and she goes on about stalking him for it lol.

In epic rage time derpy lyria once again is reading about hands.  Mark my words she's gonna end up on the show with a foam finger just like pinkie pie did,

Fans notice something in an episode and like making jokes about it which lead to the joke becoming something attached to that character. The whole Lyra loves human thing is a prime example of this. Why people do it? I guess because they like giving background ponies a personality. Most if not all background characters were given personalities and quirky traits by fans because it was probably fun.

In a way, it kinda feels like fan-made development for the those background ponies that probably will never get any development, them being background ponies and all. As Smartypants said, it is fun coming up with these things since it involves something that we really enjoy, the show in this case. It is like we are coming up with out own characters and expanding the show's universe, essentially. I think that is pretty neat. :)

Like everybody above me has said, it's just really fun to do. The fandom sees a background pony doing something specific (for example, Lyra sitting like a human) and attaches that characteristic to them. Background ponies probably won't get much development, so it's nice to see the fandom showing them some love and giving them their own personality types. All in all...it's just a fun thing to do.

I think the same goes for Celestia x Bananas and Derpy x Muffins.

another one being Rarity is a marshmallow and Flutters is a tree. (even though she totally isn't)

I was gonna ask has derpy ever even been on screen with in eye shot of a muffin?

And i've only ever seen the rarity marhsmellow joke in one mlp discord drawing where's he's insulting all the ponies.

Do not question it

Accept it

Believe in it

This crazy shiz is another reason I joined this fandom, and it's all freaking beautiful. Lyra is a personal favorite of mine too!

*le edit* look at this newb, talking like a veteran

Edited by limit

I was gonna ask has derpy ever even been on screen with in eye shot of a muffin?

And i've only ever seen the rarity marhsmellow joke in one mlp discord drawing where's he's insulting all the ponies.

I'm pretty sure the muffin/derpy thing came from the episode where everyone got sick from Applejack's disgusting muffins. As the camera pans you can hear her say "muffins!".

As far as the main point of this thread goes, I think some of it is a little bit of fan projection. I think this is very true with Vinyl Scratch and dubstep references. It seems like Vinyl just gets attention from a lot of fans of that type of music and in turn it becomes apart of that character.

I'm in grad school studying anthropology right now, so I'm sure you can guess which pony is my favorite!