Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Retro Pc & Dos Gaming PONIES unite!

Revy ~ Two Hands

Hey all, some of you may know me and some may not. I'm comicconreviews aka Gamer Twilight. I host the YouTube channel; comicconreviews which is dedicated to looking at the history of video games. I'm especially fond of old pc games, ie Half Life, Deus Ex, and Dos games. I'd like to start a thread for other enthusiasts of old pc games.

To kick-start the thread I want to share this video which is a very easy way to emulate Dosbox games. Dosbox, to those who do not know, allows people to emulate games from the early 80's to the late 90's. So many great games in that time, I know a handful, and would like to share my existing knowledge with those in this thread.

I've put together this video which shows an extremely easy way of playing dos games on a modern OS such as Windows 7/8. I hope I can spark an interest with newbies to Dos with this. Anyone interested please share the video/let other ponies know. I'm very active on my YouTube channel and the social media I have integrated with the channel. Ie

• Brohoof 3

I am a big fan of old Lucasarts adventure games like Full Throttle or Day of the Tentacle biggrin.png! You can easily run these today with a program called ScummVM. Also I really enjoy the original Deus Ex (much more than Human Revolution)! Never got around to playing the original Half-Life though.

I checked out your show and found it to be pretty informative and entertaining :D. You have got yourself a new subscriber!  

Edited by Armchair Adventurer
  • Brohoof 1

I am a big fan of old Lucasarts adventure games like Full Throttle or Day of the Tentacle img-1882982-1-biggrin.png! You can easily run these today with a program called ScummVM. Also I really enjoy the original Deus Ex (much more than Human Revolution)! Never got around to playing the original Half-Life though.

I checked out your show and found it to be pretty informative and entertaining biggrin.png. You have got yourself a new subscriber!  

Thanks dude. I hope you enjoy the videos on my channel wink.png I strongly recommend the original Half life. Well worth the cost on Steam which I think is about £5.99. Either that or the CD version which surprisingly still works (I have both the CD and Steam version). I hope to get into more Dos games like Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle in the future. As well as other point and click classics such as Gabriel Knight. So many great games I hope to play and make videos of in the long term. wub.png 

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

I like the original two Elder Scrolls games and have Daggerfall on CD as well as a Windows 98 PC. I'm trying to get a sound card for the PC and The Elder Scrolls Arena atm. Downstairs I have a crapton of old Windows games that I don't play anymore, but probably should some day.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you Gamer Twilight!  This is soo awesome - I'm such a massive fan of (a lot of games - half life too!) but particularly retro dos games.  I remember back in the day! (actually much of it was spent angrily trying to make a decent boot disk that loaded the mouse and sound drivers into upper memory because the game required 580K of ram which at the time seemed unreasonably large!  lol

The graphics and quality of wolfenstein amazed me when it came out, and then Doom came out and raised the pie still higher! But there were some other great first person shooters that rarely get talked about from that era, so I wanted to give an honourable mention to Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold basically Wolfenstein if it were set in a spacey future killing guards and aliens with lasers ... or ... something.  Crazy, but it really worked!

Monkey Island / Sam and Max / Day of the Tentacle / in fact all Lucasarts game on the Scumm engine had to be among my all time favourites - wait while I'm talking Lucasarts can I also mention X-Wing and Tie Fighter

For those Warhammer 40K fans, I remember great times with Space Crusade  - though I remember it also being frustratingly difficult at times!  I must also mention Elite and Elite II Frontier (an older era still!) stop me if anyone remembers any of these! smile.png

Such a great era, and yet at the time, annoyingly few people had a PC! It feels crazy to write this now, but I never played any multiplayers in Doom or any of these great games because I basically didn't know anyone else who had a PC.  Seems crazy to write this now - and the Internet wasn't like it is today - you couldn't play games or listen to music on it or anything.  It was mostly text, later images and to play someone on a multplayer you had to literally bring your PC around to their house and hook it up with either one of the serial ports or parallel ports lol  flipping heck, why did we even bother? 

Such hard times, but also - strangely - such a golden age of games .... filled with joy and good memories!

Some other memorable ones I have to mention (some of the first commercial games I bought for the PC):: Jazz Jackrabbit / One Must Fall, (in fact, I'm gonna say any Epic Megagame), Magic Carpet, Theme Park and Syndicate!

Edited by CyberFlash
  • Brohoof 1

Thank you Gamer Twilight!  This is soo awesome - I'm such a massive fan of (a lot of games - half life too!) but particularly retro dos games.  I remember back in the day! (actually much of it was spent angrily trying to make a decent boot disk that loaded the mouse and sound drivers into upper memory because the game required 580K of ram which at the time seemed unreasonably large!  lol

The graphics and quality of wolfenstein amazed me when it came out, and them Doom came out and raised the pie still higher! But there were some other great first person shooters that rarely get talked about from that era, so I wanted to give an honourable mention to Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold basically Wolfenstein if it were set in a spacey future killing guards and aliens with lasers ... or ... something.  Crazy, but it really worked!

Monkey Island / Sam and Max / Day of the Tentacle / in fact all Lucasarts game on the Scumm engine had to be among my all time favourites - wait while I'm talking Lucasarts can I also mention X-Wing and Tie Fighter

For those Warhammer 40K fans, I remember great times with Space Crusade  - though I remember it also being frustratingly difficult at times!  I must also mention Elite and Elite II Frontier (an older era still!) stop me if anyone remembers any of these! smile.png

Such a great era, and yet at the time, annoyingly few people had a PC! It feels crazy to write this now, but I never played any multiplayers in Doom or any of these great games because I basically didn't know anyone else who had a PC.  Seems crazy to write this now - and the Internet wasn't like it is today - you couldn't play games or listen to music on it or anything.  It was mostly text, later images and to play someone on a multplayer you had to literally bring your PC around to their house and hook it up with either one of the serial ports or parallel ports lol  flipping heck, why did we even bother? 

Such hard times, but also - strangely - such a golden age of games .... filled with joy and good memories!

Some other memorable ones I have to mention (some of the first commercial games I bought for the PC):: Jazz Jackrabbit / One Must Fall, (in fact, I'm gonna say any Epic Megagame), Magic Carpet, Theme Park and Syndicate!

So many great games from the Dos era. Games like Doom dominated Windows 95 as much as they did dos. ( I have a video on doom on my channel anyhow). There are so many underrated games from Dos. I literally can't even recall what I've uploaded from that era on my channel, also this pony has had plenty of hard cider tnit wub.png 

Two greats of Pc gaming I want to point out are System shock 1994 (dos era, and early Mac) and Unreal Tournament 1999 (not dos)

Now if you'll excuse me I have some passing out sleeping to do img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

Edited by Gamer Twilight

So many great games from the Dos era. Games like Doom dominated Windows 95 as much as they did dos. ( I have a video on doom on my channel anyhow). There are so many underrated games from Dos. I literally can't even recall what I've uploaded from that era on my channel, also this pony has had plenty of hard cider tnit img-1883142-2-wub.png 

Two greats of Pc gaming I want to point out are System shock 1994 (dos era, and early Mac) and Unreal Tournament 1999 (not dos)

Now if you'll excuse me I have some passing out sleeping to do img-1883142-3-img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

Yes!! yes yes! How could I not have mentioned Unreal Tournament!? WHAT a game!  So many happy memories of playing this with my friends at the Universities dorms instead of working lol.  Of course - it was always 'Facing Worlds' (well, mostly!)  Awesome though all the other follow-up games were, the original was always my favourite.

Oh yes I remember Bioshock too! Another great, though I never owned this one in particular.  

• Brohoof 1

Yes!! yes yes! How could I not have mentioned Unreal Tournament!? WHAT a game!  So many happy memories of playing this with my friends at the Universities dorms instead of working lol.  Of course - it was always 'Facing Worlds' (well, mostly!)  Awesome though all the other follow-up games were, the original was always my favourite.

Oh yes I remember Bioshock too! Another great, though I never owned this one in particular.  

I use to play Unreal Tournament versus bots with my dad one of the only games he could actually play/liked. The weapons where just perfect and the music was both atmospheric and exhilarating I can honestly say it's probably the greatest soundtrack in video game history, with Deus ex maybe tying with it.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

Ahhhh DOSBox, amazing!

I used to use this to game at my school as they blocked all of the good gaming websites :)!

Was so much fun playing all the old games, DOOM was great and I love the original quake. I didn't really get a chance to play unreal torney that much, but had some friends that loved it and played it all the time :)!

• Brohoof 1