Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Human Sunset Shimmer: Discussion and Theories

Persona22

During the movie, we learn that Twilight and Spike both have a counterpart after Pinkie Pie pointed it out that she maybe has a "twin that lives in the city" by City meaning Canterlot since while Fluttershy was passing out flyers for the animal shelter she stated that it was for "Canterlot's Animal Shelter".

Now, I do know that many people have pointed out that if so, then Sunset Shimmer must have a human counterpart as well. But which one of the possible theories makes more sense and/or you agree with more?

The theories of the real Human Sunset Shimmer that I've seen all over the internet are as follows:

- Human Sunset Shimmer is dead by some car accident, or mugger or anything else (some suggest that Pony Sunset killed Human Sunset as well), and Pony Sunset just stole her identity so she could have a home while she stayed in the human world.

- Human Sunset Shimmer is the first human Pony Sunset Shimmer met after she crossed the Mirror, putting two and two together, and using the element of surpirse, Pony Sunset Shimmer tossed Human Sunset Shimmer into the portal so as to steal her identity. And now Human Sunset Shimmer is living in Equestria as a Pony, and didn't go back because the portal closed.

- Human Sunset Shimmer lives in the city and is in a completely different school, just like Human Twilight Sparkle. HOWEVER, to consider this theory true, one would have to argue why Human Pinkie Pie, that seems to know everyone in Human Canterlot, never pointed out that Sunset Shimmer has a twin sister that lives in the city.

- Human Sunset Shimmer ran away from home for one reason or another, and Pony Sunset Shimmer was the one the police found when searching for her, and used said case of "mistaken identity" as a way to live in the human world with a "new" idenity. Human Sunset Shimmer's whereabouts would be unknown in this scenario.

- Sunset Shimmer was a Human all along that went into the portal at Canterlot High and fell into Equestria and seeing the possibilities became a student of Princess Celestia. This theory, however, negates several things one of which is: Why didn't Princess Celestia notice that there were two unicorns exactly alike (one being Human Sunset Shimmer, the other being Pony Sunset Shimmer) in Equestria? It would also negate the comic (if the comic can be considered cannon, which is also up for another debate. I mean, did you see how they portrayed Princess Luna in Issue 9? It was completely out of character for her, especially considering how she was portrayed in issues 5, 6, 7 and 8.)

So, which theory do you think makes more sense, and why? Do anyone else have a different theory?

• Brohoof 1

I like the theory that Pony Sunset replaced Human Sunset with herself. It seems the most plausible, although a little too dark for MLP.

I have a different theory. My theory is, that Princess Celestia banished Sunset Shimmer to the portal and was unaware that she would be in control of the whole school by exhibiting fear to all of the students. That is my theory.

...which is what happened in the movie.

Edited by Pinkie Pie
  • Brohoof 2

Nice theories. I always wondered if Sunset Shimmer was originally a pony or a human? I've got to agree with Scootalove that I liked the one where human Sunset was somehow knocked into the portal while the pony Sunset stole her identity.

In order to make Sunset less of a crappy villain. I would say she just straight up killed her, and after the movie the police found out and assumed shes an idenity theif and put her in prison

• Brohoof 1

I like the theory of the human being trapped in the pony world.  That would be a great setting for a sequel.  I also like the murder theory, even if it's too dark to be true.  I think the most likely is that she lives somewhere else like Twilight.  Maybe she used to go to school with them, moved, then when pony Sunset got there, she just assumed the role of the human Sunset and no one questioned that they were 2 different people.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sunset Shimmer has no counterpart because she didn't originate from either of the two universes. Simple, she was an outsider who somehow ended up reborn in Equestria, without any other knowledge.

You don't want to deal with chaotic overlords more than once...

• 7 months later...

ok so we all know that the sunsrt shimmer from eqg1 is pony sunset shimmer. like twilight her human counterpart lives in ths city. so where does human sunsrt shimmer reside? pinkie speculated that there were two twilights in eqg1 but did she notice the same thing for sunsrt shimmer? your thoughts on this please

Since the pony variant was evil, she most likely "removed" the human sunset shimmer. Or it could be that since celestia is a principal, Sunset never became her student, and is still living in whatever far flung hamlet she came from.

Another interesting bit (that I cannot for the life of me find anymore) was in the "novelization" of EqG, Twilight speculated that her demon form could have been her true form, so there never was a pony or human Sunset Shimmer, but rather she comes from a alternate plane of existence and is what we would describe as a daemon. This would also kinda explain how she went power crazy, and why she was so evil to begin with. But I guess those are the 3 most popular options.

• Brohoof 1

deadric? Is daemon and deadric the same?

Daemon is just the spelling I use most often for demon, but daedric was based of classical daemons.

well gee thanks for putting a boot in my mouth. damn  >_>

And I don't get what you mean man? I mean, there might have been a human Sunset Shimmer, but since the evil daemon/pony one is there, she is either in a prison of sorts, or lives outside the city of Canterlot. I am confused as to how I put a boot in your mouth, I didn't try to sound condescending, and I apologize if I came off as such.
  • Brohoof 1

Since the pony variant was evil, she most likely "removed" the human sunset shimmer. Or it could be that since celestia is a principal, Sunset never became her student, and is still living in whatever far flung hamlet she came from.

Another interesting bit (that I cannot for the life of me find anymore) was in the "novelization" of EqG, Twilight speculated that her demon form could have been her true form, so there never was a pony or human Sunset Shimmer, but rather she comes from a alternate plane of existence and is what we would describe as a daemon. This would also kinda explain how she went power crazy, and why she was so evil to begin with. But I guess those are the 3 most popular options.

Intesesting.. So theirs a possibility that SS was a demon from another plane. If so then why doesn't SS elude to such personally(or does she? i have no clue) or does she not remember or even possibly know that her herself is not from pony equestria?

This is very interesting.  :o

oh ok. it just sounded that way to me. I never read the comics so I dont know much about alll mlp info

Alrighty, I wasn't trying to sound condescending, and I am very sorry if it sounded that way.

Intesesting.. So theirs a possibility that SS was a demon from another plane. If so then why doesn't SS elude to such personally(or does she? i have no clue) or does she not remember or even possibly know that her herself is not from pony equestria?

This is very interesting.  :o

I really wish I could find that part of the EqG book were Twilight speculates that Sunset's daemon form may be her true one. And with her actions of knowing what a element of harmony does outside of its realm, and her destructive search for power and conquest (a trait shared by many a classical literature daemons.) I could see the possibility of her being a daemon, and thus why we never see her human counter part, or why pinkie never mentions that she has one.

Alrighty, I wasn't trying to sound condescending, and I am very sorry if it sounded that way.

I really wish I could find that part of the EqG book were Twilight speculates that Sunset's daemon form may be her true one. And with her actions of knowing what a element of harmony does outside of its realm, and her destructive search for power and conquest (a trait shared by many a classical literature daemons.) I could see the possibility of her being a daemon, and thus why we never see her human counter part, or why pinkie never mentions that she has one.

Hmmm... some good points there. 

Wow i wonder if Hasbro has the guts to reveal such in the show at some point if true.

Hmmm... some good points there. 

Wow i wonder if Hasbro has the guts to reveal such in the show at some point if true.

Well, Tartarus is a place in the FiM canon, and we even see a part of it during the s4 finale. I'm sure they'd never come straight out and go "She is a daemon of the 9th order, she serves in the 7th level of hell", but they could confirm it by saying that she is from a "fiery other plane, were all there is is suffering". With today's current atmosphere, they could never directly confirm it, but they certain could indirectly. However her being a daemon would just be too interesting, and add to much world building. I'm willing to bet hasbro will just continue with the story that she is a pony.

(edited)
However her being a daemon would just be too interesting, and add to much world building. I'm willing to bet hasbro will just continue with the story that she is a pony.

Sadly this,tho there could be one hell(no pun intended) of a redemption story if they went for it. 

Sunset Shimmer,the demon that became a angel..be so epic   :wub:

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

Sadly this,tho there could be one hell(no pun intended) of a redemption story if they went for it. 

Sunset Shimmer,the demon the became a angel..be so epic   :wub:

It would be quite the tale. She is a daemon who became a pony who became a savior of humanity. Certainly a journey worth watching.

But this is EqG and we have prom tonight!

Maybe she did her human self in? I mean, she was willing to hurt a puppy just to draw Twilight out into the open, who knows what she'd do in her quest to greater power?

(edited)

It would be quite the tale. She is a daemon who became a pony who became a savior of humanity. Certainly a journey worth watching.

But this is EqG and we have prom tonight!

lol yea but who knows,maybe it'll be explored when we get to season 13 and Equestria Girls : Electric Boogaloo 2 just bombed at the movie box office.  :)

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

lol yea but who knows,maybe it'll be explored when we get to season 13 and Equestria Girls : Electric Boogaloo 2 just bombed at the movie box office.  :)

We can only hope. I'd really like to see more of her origin story. All we really get is her being thrown out by Celestia because she wanted to know about the mirror.

We can only hope. I'd really like to see more of her origin story. All we really get is her being thrown out by Celestia because she wanted to know about the mirror.

But i wonder why she was so curious about the mirror,imean,what did she want or expect from it? :huh:

Did she honestly only want to use it to gather a army from another plane and then invade and take over equestria like she misreably tried? Or perhaps something more sinister? :fiery:

Either way,i hope to see her get some love(especially if she does turn out to be a demon),because it can give the show another amazing quality because then the show is not only about true friendship(mane 6) or true love(Cadance and Shinning) but also true redemption(Sunset Shimmer)   :)