Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do Bronies Have A Persecution Complex?

DITR

The RationalWiki defines the Persecution Complex as : a term given to an array of psychologically-complex behaviors, that specifically deals with the perception of being persecuted, for various possible reasons, imagined or real."

It seems that you can't go one day on this forum without finding a topic where someone is getting their panties in a twist about the potential of someone taking down the show or discovering that they are a brony. 

My question is ; do you think bronies have a persecution complex, why or why not?

I think to a certain degree yes, lot of us feel uncomfortable letting others know that they are a brony. I know I did. I was terrified for a while of anyone finding it out except for the close friend who brought me into the fandom. Then it all started to die down and I was surprised how positively most people reacted to it (ranging from "I watched a few episodes and I like the show as well" to "Cool, I don't really care though"). I thought most of my friends and family would make fun of me for it. Today I am not afraid to watch the series openly or talk about it if the topic comes up one way or another.

However, I do think that to some degree some of us are being persecuted for it. Therefore, the fear of being discovered can be justified. Some people just can't understand why we watch MLP and in the eyes of bullies this makes us easy targets.

Edited by Armchair Adventurer

I... Am slowly noticing that I'm different from most of the other bronies...

This show has not made me 20% cooler.

It's made me 15,000% more like pinkie pie.

And love and tolerance has become my rule of thumb.

And trying to get other people hooked on the show is all I really do anymore.

I told my class I was a Brony a couple weeks ago, expecting them to scream "KILL IT WIT FIRE!!!"

But then I hooked up my iPod to the Apple TV in my classroom and played an epic montage of fluttershy wrestling the bear, Rainbow blowing up the barn, some epic shots of queen chrysalis, and some shots of pinkie's "party" all with background music, and they all bit. Slowly but surely I'm turning my class into Bronies, so there is no complex to be had.

• Brohoof 4

Yes, absolutely, but that everything to do with the age of most bronies. Teenagers in particular, being mostly uninteresting humans with very little life experience or anything genuine to base their personality off of, cling to the things that they like as what makes them "Themselves" which is why they are so quick to label themselves. The idea that anybody cares about your hobbies at all is laughable and I think the bronies confuse persecution with apathy.

• Brohoof 2

Yes and no, yes some bronies are being persecuted there is no doubt about it but there are also some that are a bit paranoid. It all depends on the person and the circumstance, some fear is justified but when I see topics like "how to buy pony toys without looking weird" I can't help but wonder why anyone cares so much about the opinions of random strangers? Sure caring about the opinions of classmates, friends, family coworkers ect is one thing but strangers?