Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you embarrassed for watching MLP? (Males)

Legacy Dash

210 users have voted

1. 1. Are you embarrassed about watching MLP? (Males only)

• Yes - I don't like people knowing.
    • Meh - Don't really care.
    • I am proud to be a Brony!

You know if I ever get grief for being a brony, i think i'll just reply by 'talking' like fluffle puff.... won't actually achieve anything but they might just back away slowly...

"Pffftpfftt...." *gasp* *chase after them*

Not embarrassed if I watch the show discreetly.

I do not own any MLP merchandise nor do I have any plans to do so. Only with other brony friends do I talk about it. One of my IRL friends enjoys the show but can't be bothered to get involved in the fandom like I do. We've talked about the show or things (in)directly related to it or the brony phenomena. Honestly, I still tend to get nervous when speaking about ponies ,even with him, in my own voice because there's that voice in my head that screams "KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN, SOMEONE MIGHT HEAR YOU!!"

There was that one time me and him briefly talked about the show in front of my younger brother and another IRL friend who already know and just think "well, whatever." That felt really awkward for me.

TL;DR: deeply closeted brony and would rather type about it rather than talk about it.

Embarrassed? Obviously not. Better question, why should I be? Why should anyone be? Because of some stupid, stereotypical views from society? You don't necessarily have to feel 'proud' for the same reasons to not be embarrassed. You love a great show, with this, what is the problem? I know this has been said countless times before so I am not being really creative here, but it is the truth. That is why I think people having to be 'closet bronies' is sad and pathetic. This is why I think America and the world as a whole need to do away with this 'for boys or for girls' bullshit when it comes to things like this. It is just arbitrary and completely pointless. NO ONE should be embarrassed for liking this show. Should anyone be 'proud' for liking it? Well, not exactly. Again, you love a great show, so even those feelings have little merit, but hey, it is far better than being embarrassed so roll with that! I do at times. I wear the shirts, wrist bands, necklaces, wallet, lanyard, all that stuff! My Xbox Live gamertag is KyoshiiTheBrony. Do I have all of this because I am proud? Not exactly. Mainly because of my extreme love for the show. :) So with that, express it!

I am rambling on and on, but this is an important subject to me, people freely expressing themselves and being who they are and not hiding away something just because 'society' looks at it in an idiotic way.

I don't really care, but the thing is, I don't HAVE to really care.  One nice thing about being a grown up is I never have to worry about family members questioning my cartoon watching habits.  My roommate and a handful of regular visitors know, and thankfully they're cool about it.  smile.png

Edited by Wingnut

I had recently stopped caring on what other people think of me, so if I watch MLP in front of my family, particularly my brother, and do brony related things, like meetups, I wouldn't care. And it actually feels great to let other people know instead of keeping it inside.

I don't really bring it up, but if people ask me i won't say am not. Still looking for a way to tell my parents though. If anyone has any ideas let me know

Don't tell them. Just start having things, or watching it openly. Change your desktop background or screensaver. Let them find out on their own. Its not something you need to be overly embarrassed about in any way. Nor should it be taken to a level where you find fear in expressing it.

But you should never really, let alone have too, "tell" someone your into the show.

I had recently stopped caring on what other people think of me, so if I watch MLP in front of my family, particularly my brother, and do brony related things, like meetups, I wouldn't care. And it actually feels great to let other people know instead of keeping it inside.

This right here is the way to go smile.png

Personally I just ended up with a Vinyl Scratch shirt one day and haven't heard a complaint. But since then I have also collected a bunch of other items and put them on display in my house, so yeah... Not many ways to hide it smile.png

Although my Brother does make crude jokes and has his young son convinced of the usual BS social "norm" of "Ponies are for girls!"

But the kid is smart, growing up he'll straighten out and realize life isn't that 2 dimensional on the gender lines anymore. smile.png

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

I am a little bit afraid, I mean I do wear shirts and stuff from time to time and some people at my work know. But, I am kind of embarrassed by it. I think my dad's to blame for that. He used to be on my ass for quite some time, telling me I should keep it a secret because it will stop me from getting a girlfriend, stop me from ever having a full time job, etc.etc.

Not at all! Is watching Adventure Time embarrassing? Nope! Is playing SimCity embarrassing? Nope!

No matter what, there's nothing embarrassing about liking something, no matter how much it contradicts current social norms and terms. In fact, I'm proud to be a part of the fandom. Ever since I stopped caring about anything that people say about me, life's been great.

Now, I can't even imagine why I was so embarrassed and scared of people finding out about MLP or other stuff I like. I don't go out of my way to shove it in everyone's face, but I'm also not shy to answer all kinds of questions. As long as people are respectful, I'm cool with everything.

• Brohoof 1

I generally had no issue with telling people or exposing it as I grew up with a pretty accepting family and good friends. I however avoid making this known to a select few for the sake of avoiding annoying harassment from strangers or people I know who are ignorant or shallowly/inconsiderately aggressive with their beliefs

• Brohoof 1

Why is this only for men? I'm going to answer the OP, because I don't really see how this is just for men. :/

Truthfully, yes. I am embarrassed for watching a show aimed at young girls. It's a bit embarrassing when your friends think you're incredibly childish because you watch it. Then again, my friends don't care that much about it. But they still think it is slightly unordinary.

Edited by Nicole

Only a little bit. This is where I envy brony parents, because at least they have the excuse of "watching it with their kids."

I've always been a bit "weird," so really, it's just another thing. No big deal, but I don't have any merchandise at all.

I'd never really tell anyone I know, but am not friends with. I only trust the information with my family, friends, and ex-girlfriend.

Why is this only for men? I'm going to answer the OP, because I don't really see how this is just for men. :/

Truthfully, yes. I am embarrassed for watching a show aimed at young girls. It's a bit embarrassing when your friends think you're incredibly childish because you watch it. Then again, my friends don't care that much about it. But they still think it is slightly unordinary.

It's only for men cause generally, in the world, most people think men watching MLP is very abnormal - more abnormal than women watching it, cause, if you a female, atleast your the correct gender, your just the wrong age group.

Just wanted to point this out cause I don't really want you to think I'm being sexist.

chrysalis_laughs_at_your_problems_by_joh

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!! No... i seriously can't give a single flying f@ck about what other people think is right for me to like. Screw you....
frankly-my-dear-gone-with-the-wind-gotw-
Does this answer it adequately for you?

Edited by nioniosbbbb

I don't show my love for ponies around my friends. I just don't see any point in showing them I'm a fan of a show that features Technicolor ponies.

It seems pointless to me.

The question then arises do you show it to yourself?

Are you willing to be yourself, if you are inclined to do so at some point, and buy, then wear, an MLP themed shirt?

No need is ever needed in bragging or pushing it on others (as some do sadly..), but there is also no reason to hide it as many feel they need to do.

TBH you'll learn who your real friends are by being yourself (regardless of MLP or not) real fast. The frauds will bail, while true friends won't care, or encourage regardless of personal belief.