Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Words you cannot pronounce properly?

Mr F

There is some words I cannot pronounce properly in norwegian. An exsample is "jordbær" in english it means strawberry, I end up saying jor-bee-r. (I know I am a genious.)

I wondered if anyone here have a simlar problem in their main language.

sometimes it ends up like this:

S6xPkSU.jpg

Edited by a crazy pony
  • Brohoof 3

I can't say "wash" correctly. I always say "worsh" instead of "wash" and people think it's kind of funny. My friend says "monster" as "munster" so I think that's more humorous to me.

Other than that, I can't think of anything, I usually have pretty fluent speaking unless I prefer to say a word with its alternative pronunciation. 

What I mean by that is instead of saying "vase", I would say "vaze"...the fancier way of saying it, pretty much, I just love the sound of it.

• Brohoof 3

When I was younger I used to pronounce caterpillar as cat-a-pill-i-tar. But that's about it haha. I like to think I have a good tongue for pronouncing foreign words.

I cannot pronounce aluminum no matter how hard i try it. I also have issues pronouncing Three don't know why but it always comes out as tree when I say it and it sounds funny

I always used to say Al-you-min-e-um just because everyone else did but later switched to Al-eww-me-num because I think it sounds smarter.

laugh.png

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy
  • Brohoof 2

There are quite a few a friend was mocking me about on XBox Live several times, but to be honest, I only remember the Word "Question" at the moment. There are lot's of other words I cannot pronounce properly and once I notice some more, I will not hesitate to update them here I suppose :P

• Brohoof 1

There are quite a few a friend was mocking me about on XBox Live several times, but to be honest, I only remember the Word "Question" at the moment. There are lot's of other words I cannot pronounce properly and once I notice some more, I will not hesitate to update them here I suppose tongue.png

Okay I have the same problem on that one... I am not sure if que-sti-on or questi-on or if both are wrong. I gotta learn how to speak soon.

• Brohoof 2

Okay I have the same problem on that one... I am not sure if que-sti-on or questi-on or if both are wrong. I gotta learn how to speak soon.

I always tend to mess up the "Q" in Question, aside from that I remember having problems pronouncing the word "headache", I somehow pronounced it in a way that made him (XBox Live Buddy) laugh excessively.. don't know why though lol

Edited by Lunatic Cake

i dont really have a problem saying words it is more often troble spelling them i dont know why but it always happens and my brother hates me for it.

one of my friends hates it when I dont use proper grammar or spelling and it bugs him so much so when ever he bugs me about something I use the worst possible grammar possible

Ever since I was a kid, that one word I have always struggled with is "world." I have improved a bit, I used to say "whearld", now I just sound really awkward when I have to use it (I pause mid sentience to ensure I get the pronunciation correct.)

• Brohoof 1

I can't say strategy properly. I always end up becoming tongue-tied. And it sounds like "fjioqpnfsoa8USJ9A"

I also have trouble saying "three". I say it like "free".

• Brohoof 1

well there are a few, 

geëquilibreerd -> Dutch for "in balance"

consiliumabeundi -> Dutch word for "the need to suddenly leave the classroom"

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliofobie -> very ironic, this word is Dutch for "The fobia of long words" (seriously this exsists, look it up)

and that's about all i can think of right now.

I've always pronounced Question as "quest jun" which sounds about right (if ya say it alittle fast xD) and i can't recall anyone calling me up on it.

There are words i struggle on but none come to mind. :P

I can't say "insomnia" I end up saying "Inzomnia" I don't find it a big deal unless someone makes it a big deal. There's also Pnuemonoultramicroscopicsilicovalcaniosis. I always have to pause in the middle to remember the rest.

Edited by Jack Spades

Aluminium is a big one I tend to mess up. A lot. I've done it less over the past while, but haven't a clue why it doesn't work. I can say it in my head. <.<; It gets rather butchered "Alumina.. Aluminiua.....Alum....FACK."

Also, melancholy is another tricky one. I dunno why. I normally end up saying "melonchony". .____. 

I can pronounce pretty much any word in English the correct way. Thank god for learning multiple languages. Though there is one type of language I have way too much trouble with, and that's the Scandinavian languages and any language that resembles it. Words like Duergar and Lodr (First one is a race, second one is a name) are impossible for me to pronounce, I just can't do it even if my life depended on it. 

Strangely enough, I've never had any problems learning Dutch, German or French. Sure, I had to adjust to the way French people pronounce stuff, but it was pretty easy afterwards. I can speak those languages in such way, most people would consider me to be a native speaker. Still, I can't get  the hang of Norse, Swedish or Finnish, I don't even sound like a foreigner pronouncing their words. I sound like some kind of super foreigner. The king of foreigners with the worst pronunciation ever.

Edited by Winterbass

I don't know.  I can't pronounce train very well.  I end up saying twain.  I've always have had a problem with words with ra in them. I usually replace them with w.

Naturally, I pronounce the word "orange" differently. It entertains one of my friends, who doesn't have any clue how to say it like I do. xD I can, however, pronounce the word properly, I just am used to saying it the other way.