Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Noob "animator" requesting help

Super-TeddyGuy

After 3 months away from this community I've finally got some time now to sit, relax and enjoy a little bit, but as aways, I'm bored. Some days ago I decided that I needed to do something, so I decided to do some animations. I know near nothing about then, but I've already have some sketches on paper for some of my ideas.

So to the point now: I have 2 questions, 1- Do you guys any good program for starters? And 2- Any tutorials? The ones I found were waaay to complicated to my level. 

Thanks in advance! o3o

I would recommend to use Toonboom animation studio, just google it. It is a really simple application for beginners. It covers up from the basic drawing and animating (duh) and there is the voice fill feature, it is really to use but it needs some getting use to; don't worry it won't be hard as Flash. Toonboom's UI is very simple, which is good too so you won't get confused easily.

If you have cover up the basics of animation with Toonboom, and you decide to move up to Flash. Since you already have the basics, Flash might be easy as well (I don't know about you, but I manage to use that application with ease after Toonboom). Though the UI is a bit sophisticated, it has more tools for you to tinker with. 

As for tutorials, I'd say; you need to explore - jump down to the application, try to understand it on your own, because I think that is the most effective way to know what tools you are using. Yet, if you are stuck - don't have a buckin' clue on how to use it, then... you rely on tutorials. Cause that's how I do it.

I would recommend to use Toonboom animation studio, just google it. It is a really simple application for beginners. It covers up from the basic drawing and animating (duh) and there is the voice fill feature, it is really to use but it needs some getting use to; don't worry it won't be hard as Flash. Toonboom's UI is very simple, which is good too so you won't get confused easily.

If you have cover up the basics of animation with Toonboom, and you decide to move up to Flash. Since you already have the basics, Flash might be easy as well (I don't know about you, but I manage to use that application with ease after Toonboom). Though the UI is a bit sophisticated, it has more tools for you to tinker with. 

As for tutorials, I'd say; you need to explore - jump down to the application, try to understand it on your own, because I think that is the most effective way to know what tools you are using. Yet, if you are stuck - don't have a buckin' clue on how to use it, then... you rely on tutorials. Cause that's how I do it.

I would argue the opposite.

I find Toonboom a lot less user-friendly then Flash. However, it has a hell of a lot more features, and it's arguably better for film-making. It's also better for making your animations nice and pretty, since Flash is quite limiting when it comes to cleaning up your work and making it presentable.

The other good thing about Toonboom, is that you can do a lot of post-production work with it, whilst with Flash, you really need to use After Effects to do anything like that.

I think Toonboom is generally used for a lot of animated television shows and films, whilst Flash is almost always used for phone apps, games, and interactive stuff. Saying that, Flash is getting used more and more for TV now as well thanks to it's symbols feature.

I think at the end of the day, It just depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Whilst Toomboom is arguably better for film-making, both programs have good points, as well as bad points. If you're just starting, I personally recommend Flash as it's more user-friendly and easier to get the hang of. (It's also cheaper, I think)

Edited by Hansel

Flash is Adobe's you know... which is expensive by the way. 

Well... everyone has a different perception about something, and well... it's because I've used Toonboom at first and for a long time, so I'm pretty much used to it.

• Brohoof 1

You can try about all of Adobe's products for free (including Flash) for a 30 day trail to see if you like it, then if you do it only $20 a month (and thats for all of their products, and they're all the lastest versions).

I would recommend double Rainboom tutorials .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlfsG4ged4

Not only do they focus only ponies, which is nice, but I came out of those tutorials knowing pretty much everything I needed to know about using the tools in Flash (animating itself however is still taking forever to learn), and he made in made for people who had never used flash before. 

Edited by Tired Brony