Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns.

Emperor Posh

Ok, so I see alot of debate going on about Twilight becoming an alicorn and the statement Lauren Faust made about Twilight becoming Celestia's successor. Now the definition of "successor" is "A successor is a person or entity who takes over and continues the role or position of another. " (Source). To me it does not make sense for a Unicorn to be ruler of Equestria as it would put up debate as to why other races do not have a ruling of their own and why only the Unicorns do. In my opinion an alicorn represents the harmony between all 3 main pony races, so it would be fit for an alicorn to be a ruler as they represent all 3 races.

So what do you guys think? How do you see alicorns and what they represent? Do you think Lauren Faust meant for Twilight to become ruler of Equestria when she said she wanted Twilight to be Celestia's successor?

Now before more "Lauren is not part of the show development team anymore" people show up, let me be clear this is more to do with if Lauren was still working on the show, and if you think she meant for Twilight to become an Alicorn when she said successor. So think of this as if Lauren was still developing the show.

==== More Information regarding this topic ====

Where Lauren Faust says she wanted Twilight to be Celestia's successor. Just click the link in the spoiler and let it play.

Edited by Xelphos
  • Brohoof 3

I think what Faust meant for Twilight to become Celestia's successor, is to continue where Celestia left off when she does die and takes over the role of ruling the kingdom with Luna and Cadence at her side. I see alicorns as a representation of harmony between all of the 3 pony races, and being able to work good under pressure.

• Brohoof 2

You make a good point. If Lauren wanted Twilight to become Celestia's successor, how would Twilight be able to fully follow in Celestia's footsteps if she didn't embody harmony among the three races?

I dunno, Lauren may not have wanted Twilight to originally become an alicorn, but honestly it makes so much sense this way. Sorry Lauren fanboys, I think the woman has come up with great ideas, but I think that the direction that the current writers are taking is good.

• Brohoof 4

Lauren's original idea means about nothing now.

But I think that it would be a bad idea to take Celestia away and put Twilight in her place, EVEN if this was to be the very last episode of the series. It may be just my own narrow point of view, but Luna and Celestia are complimentary parts of a whole. Taking any one of them away breaks this theme, and Twilight just can't fit in Celestia's place: she's too different both in her design and in her "theme" as a character. Not to mention that this would also break the Mane Six. Candance is just "there".

So, I don't have a clue about where they are going with this and I'm really looking forward to finding out in Season 4. IF they are even going to touch this subject.

• Brohoof 1

Do you think Lauren Faust meant for Twilight to become an alicorn when she said she wanted Twilight to be Celestia's successor?
I doubt it, because Faust spilled a tad more of the beans on DeviantArt. In response to a DA comment several months ago, she said she only meant "successor" and said "successor" didn't mean she'd be a princess, alicorn, or a combination of the two.

I doubt it, because Faust spilled a tad more of the beans on DeviantArt. In response to a DA comment several months ago, she said she only meant "successor" and said "successor" didn't mean she'd be a princess, alicorn, or a combination of the two.

So what would Twilight be instead?

I mean I suppose Equestria could change its government. Twilight could be the president instead of the monarch.

But that's boring.

So what would Twilight be instead?

It's just speculation, but my guess is that she's going to be some kind of unicorn ruler/sage/witch, maybe something akin to a teacher of the Magic of Friendship or a Wise Man. During seasons one and two (particularly the first half of the latter, for Faust had a heavy hand for many of them), she really studied magic and was slowly getting into advanced forms of them. As she studied to pass the entrance exam, she really studied her plot off to pass. She didn't merely study magic. She craved it, too. Plus, in Luna Eclipsed (an episode Faust was extensively involved in developing), Twilight trick-or-treated as Star Swirl the Bearded, one of the greatest unicorn magicians, and she knew about him and idolized him.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

(edited)

Could you please supply a link to this discussion because I just went through her entire profile on dA and found nothing stating what you have stated. it's just I cannot find anything no matter what key phrases I search, and with the internet the way it is, it's hard to know what's truth and what's not.

Edited by Xelphos

Nah, actually there's a huge "answer possibly given by an imposter before Lauren had her tripcode confirmed"

And even if that's actually from Lauren, she wrote "I planned for that SORT of thing to happen from the start" a little too ambiguous if you ask me.

Taking that into consideration, she probably just wanted to help Megan with all the hate that caused the "Twilicorn" shennaningans (Sorry if my english fails here, that's a weird word xD). Like "It's my fault, Megan just did what I wrote in my bible, don't hate on her, you can hate on me if you like"

Also, becoming Celestia's Succesor is SORTA what happenned to Twilight, right? Just saying...

And no, I'm not looking to much into it, I just say it's too weird to simply trust blindly this source of information lol

Probably the best answer to this question is: We'll never know until Lauren decides to tell us the answer correctly.

I do remember that People said things like "Lauren said that she planned Celestia and Luna to be the only alicorns in the show" during the time "A Canterlot Wedding" was a Boom (Yes, before we even knew about Twilicorn), I yet have to find that Damn Q&A or dA answer tho, so I can't be sure if that's true or not unsure.png

Off Topic: Well, I just Joined the forum just to send the same answer I've sent Xelphos in youtube, and I'll probably be around for quite some time, so, any good place to hang out here? :muffins: (PM, don't fill this with Spam)

Edited by Icematoro

(edited)

Nah, actually there's a huge "answer possibly given by an imposter before Lauren had her tripcode confirmed"

And even if that's actually from Lauren, she wrote "I planned for that SORT of thing to happen from the start" a little too ambiguous if you ask me.

Taking that into consideration, she probably just wanted to help Megan with all the hate that caused the "Twilicorn" shennaningans (Sorry if my english fails here, that's a weird word xD). Like "It's my fault, Megan just did what I wrote in my bible, don't hate on her, you can hate on me if you like"

Also, becoming Celestia's Succesor is SORTA what happenned to Twilight, right? Just saying...

And no, I'm not looking to much into it, I just say it's too weird to simply trust blindly this source of information lol

Probably the best answer to this question is: We'll never know until Lauren decides to tell us the answer correctly.

I do remember that People said things like "Lauren said that she planned Celestia and Luna to be the only alicorns in the show" during the time "A Canterlot Wedding" was a Boom (Yes, before we even knew about Twilicorn), I yet have to find that Damn Q&A or dA answer tho, so I can't be sure if that's true or not img-1917546-1-unsure.png

Off Topic: Well, I just Joined the forum just to send the same answer I've sent Xelphos in youtube, and I'll probably be around for quite some time, so, any good place to hang out here? img-1917546-2-derpy_emoticon1.png (PM, don't fill this with Spam)

I don't know, I have pieced it together quite nicely below, and I do not think it was an imposter.  But who knows I could be wrong. The stuff below in the spoiler is more or less how I see it. So take it lightly. img-1917532-3-tongue.png

Ok so at 8:50 PM Lauren posted an image of a drawn hulk on her twitter, then at 9:11 PM Lauren posted on reddit that she had posted that image on Twitter, at 9:12 PM someone replied and said "really". At 9:14 PM Lauren replied with "I will post proof on my twitter" and then a few seconds later "proof ;)" showed up on Lauren's twitter. Then 6 minutes later at 9:20 PM Lauren replied to the question about twilicorn.

and then at 10:00 PM she confirmed her tripcode.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Just to add the impostor was trolling her account with rude comments relating to clopping and other nasty topics in another section of Reddit. So I seriously doubt it was the imposter who posted that answer.

Edited by Xelphos

Well Twilight is a successor in that she is an element bearer. She takes (with her friends) Celestia's role of being the guardian of Equestria. As a princess, I'd imagine Twilight's role to be more of a diplomat than a ruler as mastering the magic of 'friendship' would be ideal for that.

There's also the slight fact that Twilight cannot raise the sun & moon. So even if she did assume the mantle of ruler of Equestria. the sisters would not disappear all together. Unless Twilight can also do it but seeing as there power is cutie mark related I'm not sure she could alone.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well Twilight is a successor in that she is an element bearer. She takes (with her friends) Celestia's role of being the guardian of Equestria. As a princess, I'd imagine Twilight's role to be more of a diplomat than a ruler as mastering the magic of 'friendship' would be ideal for that.

There's also the slight fact that Twilight cannot raise the sun & moon. So even if she did assume the mantle of ruler of Equestria. the sisters would not disappear all together. Unless Twilight can also do it but seeing as there power is cutie mark related I'm not sure she could alone.

I watched something recently that had an interesting idea, the guy explained that when Luna and Celestia are done what ever that may be and whenever that may be, that they would go into the moon and sun and become part of it still being in existence and still performing their duties. It was just an idea someone brought up and I found it quite clever in my opinion.

Edited by Xelphos

And this is why i literally gives to figs what ms Faust has to say.

You can't take over for someone and not get their title LOL.

Guess what?  You know what Faust successor does on the show?  All the stuff Faust did more or less.

And as such we should be asking that person  ^^.

Just how if Celestial ever does step down the ponies running around shouldn't be going "But Princess celestial would did this!"

and if i was there i'd go "you mean make Twilight do it for her?"

and than i'd get linched lol

• Brohoof 1

I watched something recently that had an interesting idea, the guy explained that when Luna and Celestia are done what ever that may be and whenever that may be, that they would go into the moon and sun and become part of it still being in existence and still performing their duties. It was just an idea someone brought up and I found it quite clever in my opinion.

The only other thing I could think of off the top of my head is if there is some way the princesses can negate their immortality, like if they ever had children of their own, it passes to them and the princesses become mortal and their offspring assume the roles of raising the sun and moon. This would also work in the regard that Twilight isn't an immortal Alicorn and another would need to succeed her at some point.

Edited by Nail Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The only other thing I could think of off the top of my head is if there is some way the princesses can negate their immortality, like if they ever had children of their own, it passes to them and the princesses become mortal and their offspring assume the roles of raising the sun and moon. This would also work in the regard that Twilight isn't an immortal Alicorn and another would need to succeed her at some point.

Well what get's me is that Luna and Celestia used to be young, and I don't think there is anything on the subject of them growing up like Cadance did, or atleast I haven't come across it yet. So what's to say that at one point Luna and Celestia were not immortal. Like I said, I don't know if this has been explained, but if not it definitely leaves room for debate and maybe even a possibility of others being able to gain immortality. Just an idea img-1917969-1-tongue.png

Edited by Xelphos

Well what get's me is that Luna and Celestia used to be young, and I don't think there is anything on the subject of them growing up like Cadance did, or atleast I haven't come across it yet. So what's to say that at one point Luna and Celestia were not immortal. Like I said I don't know if this has been explained, but if not it definitely leaves room for debate and maybe even a possibility of others being able to gain immortality. Just an idea tongue.png

Well Celestia's hair being just pink when she was young and not an Aurora has never been covered. infact not sure if thats a fan thing or official now that I think about it.

• Brohoof 1

Well Celestia's hair being just pink when she was young and not an Aurora has never been covered. infact not sure if thats a fan thing or official now that I think about it.

During the opening scene of the Pilot Episodes (You know, the book one), Princess Celestia had pink hair, so it is KINDA covered.

Then again, the book sketches aren't precisely perfect.

Season 4 is probably covering the past of Celestia and Luna, so we'll just have to wait.

Edited by Icematoro
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
. In my opinion an alicorn represents the harmony between all 3 main pony races, so it would be fit for an alicorn to be a ruler as they represent all 3 races. So what do you guys think? How do you see alicorns and what they represent?

Well, that's a nice way of looking at it. I can't help but see it as the master race ruling over the lesser races. Either that or a deity ruling over the lesser mortals. I have a harder time seeing the harmony aspect since it doesn't take unicorns, earth ponies and pegasi to make an alicorn; apparently, one of those races just ascends to another, better, form. Maybe if alicorns were a joint science project between the pony races back when they were separate clans, I'd see things differently. 

As for the successor stuff, the only ideas that come to mind is Twilight becoming the new ruler of Equestria or perhaps becoming a mentor for up and coming unicorns of exceptional skill kind of like how Celestia became Twilight's mentor. I think the ruler of Equestria idea is much more likely though.

Edited by Mutemutt
  • Brohoof 1

What nopony is taking into consideration is the fact that Lauren no longer works on the show, therefore, everything she says that was not established in the first two seasons is merely headcanon. It is no matter that she used to work on the show, her intention for the characters now, has no more significance than our ideas and headcanons.

(edited)

What nopony is taking into consideration is the fact that Lauren no longer works on the show, therefore, everything she says that was not established in the first two seasons is merely headcanon. It is no matter that she used to work on the show, her intention for the characters now, has no more significance than our ideas and headcanons.

I am asking in this post in a rather hypothetical question, as if Lauren was still the developing the show. So this is more to do with what Lauren's original plan was for the show, not what the show is today. I have edited my original post to explain this.

Edited by Xelphos

• 1 month later...

Well to be put out there, I love Twilicorn, that said though I'm not sure I like the idea of her taking on the role of leading all of Equestria at the end of the day and taking over Celestia's role. Celestia though an alicorn, she represents a specific duty other then just ruler, she's the alicorn who is in charge of the sun, and of light, like her sister whos in charge of the moon and night.

Someone said here that alicorns are representation of all 3 ponies and a union of harmony. I agree with that, all true that they are, but they also have specific duty it seems too, depending on what magic they have mastered in order to acsend to an alicorn position in the first place. Granted Luna and Celestia supposedly were born alicorns. Cadence and Twilight had to earn that acention however. Cadence turned through understanding the power of love, and Twilight understanding the power of destinies. However all 4 of these alicorns understand the power of harmony, to which is why they all connect in being alicorns. That said, if Twilight were to take the place of Celestia, why would she have the power to be able to rise and set the sun? Her power for ascention was understanding the power of destiny as shown in Magical Cure. Celestia understadsthe light and power of the sun, so to me it wouldn't make sense.

I also just dont like the idea of losing Celestia. She should still be around to rule Canterlot at least and be in power of rising and setting the sun. Luna being along with her sister as side ruler of Canterlot. Cadence is now in rule of the Crystal Empire, which she's well suited for being she understands the power of love and that kingdom is the foundation of that power.

So I'm wondering... what sort of kingdom will Twilight rule? Will she even have a kingdom to rule at all? Or just be represented as the Princess of Destinies and not really have a kingdom or thrown? I guess we'll find out one way or another. But for all I know I'm just looking too deep into this lol.

• Brohoof 2

Well to be put out there, I love Twilicorn, that said though I'm not sure I like the idea of her taking on the role of leading all of Equestria at the end of the day and taking over Celestia's role. Celestia though an alicorn, she represents a specific duty other then just ruler, she's the alicorn who is in charge of the sun, and of light, like her sister whos in charge of the moon and night.

Someone said here that alicorns are representation of all 3 ponies and a union of harmony. I agree with that, all true that they are, but they also have specific duty it seems too, depending on what magic they have mastered in order to acsend to an alicorn position in the first place. Granted Luna and Celestia supposedly were born alicorns. Cadence and Twilight had to earn that acention however. Cadence turned through understanding the power of love, and Twilight understanding the power of destinies. However all 4 of these alicorns understand the power of harmony, to which is why they all connect in being alicorns. That said, if Twilight were to take the place of Celestia, why would she have the power to be able to rise and set the sun? Her power for ascention was understanding the power of destiny as shown in Magical Cure. Celestia understadsthe light and power of the sun, so to me it wouldn't make sense.

I also just dont like the idea of losing Celestia. She should still be around to rule Canterlot at least and be in power of rising and setting the sun. Luna being along with her sister as side ruler of Canterlot. Cadence is now in rule of the Crystal Empire, which she's well suited for being she understands the power of love and that kingdom is the foundation of that power.

So I'm wondering... what sort of kingdom will Twilight rule? Will she even have a kingdom to rule at all? Or just be represented as the Princess of Destinies and not really have a kingdom or thrown? I guess we'll find out one way or another. But for all I know I'm just looking too deep into this lol.

Who knows. The thing about Twilight taking Celestia's place is just what Lauren Faust said, and it is only theory now. Maybe the locked box from the season 4 premier will have the answers. Only time will tell.

Edited by Emperor Posh