Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had/have braces?

Zygen

71 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had/have braces?

• Yeah I did
    • Nope, my teeth are fine thank you
    • No, i just don't want them or want to spend the cash.

i had braces for like 3 or 4 years, it was freakin awful! to this day i still wonder if it was worth the money my parents spent, and the pain i had to go through.

basically, the top part of my jaw was "too narrow", so they put some horrible device in the roof of my mouth. every night, we had to use this little wire key thing (depicted in spoiler) and twist it 1-3 times until it clicks. the rotations cause the thing to spread wider. also on valentines i got the jaw expander. i recieved chocolates for valentines day though, and i made a deaded mistake. i ate a caramel chocolate with that thing on. it got trapped in the space above the expander, and i literally spent 10 minutes trying to remove it. anyway, the horrible device looked liked this.

img-1918648-1-hqdefault.jpg

i also had to get the herbst device, which is used to move the jaw forward or backward. its as evil as it looks. i'm not sure which of these devices were worse.

img-1918648-2-herbst-appliance.jpg

how the HELL can orthodontists do this for a living? are they all just sadists that found a legal way to inflict pain on people? you can't look at these things and not think they look like a diabolical mad scientist torture devices.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2

My dentist tells me every time, except last time...odd, that I need braces. Guess it's true, but my dad doesn't wanna pay for them, and I just don't want them, so I don't have them. Guess if they had pony bracelets I'd think about it.

Yeah, well i only went once and they told me i might need them, (They also said my brother has perfectly straight teeth ;p) but my parents don't really have the cash anyways. 

My teeth really aren't bad enough i think personally.

They says I need braces, but I'm sure they only want money. So no, I won't have them.

-They are a lot of trouble and demands a lot of attention, which I cannot give to braces.

-Darn expensive.

-The way my teeth are placed, they can cut through almost anything.

-When teeth are too straight, it doesn't look good.

So basically: What a waste of time and money.

-Also, there are some chances that you need to wear something in your mouth for a whole life, the teeth might gtfo of your mouth lol.

And you can always remove a tooth or two to have more space in your mooth, useless teeth. But since they want moneh, they put braces that costs thousands of dollars.

Yeah, I guess having perfectly straight teeth isn't really that great anyways, like i said people say I have a "Perfect smile" which while i dunno the truth in that, it still must mean that my smile looks good despite my teeth not being perfectly aligned.

I dunno if i'd wanna get a tooth removed though, that sounds incredibly painful :(.

I kinda think my dentist wants money outta me to frankly. ;p. Although he said my brothers teeth are perfect so idk ;p.

I had braces, they straightened out my teeth. If you do decide to get them make sure you

A)Wear your Retainer when you get them off 

B)If you still have wisdom teeth get them removed. I was pretty bad at remembering to wear my retainer and my wisdom teeth started shifting putting pressure on my other teeth (forcing them to get all crooked and weird again).

Since I got my wisdom teeth removed I opted to getting braces put back on to re-align (it was also painful to chew due to the shifts). Braces aren't so bad now, you can get clear brackets, and all you can see is the wire. It took some of my friends who I didn't tell about it 3-4 months before they noticed I even had them. They're really not too horrible, just gotta make sure to take care of your teeth and not eat foods that can brake your braces -- really chewy stuff (laffy taffy/starburst) or really hard stuff (doritos/nuts). 

In the end it's your decision. If it isn't impacting your health, your ability to eat or you still have wisdom teeth, I wouldn't suggest getting them unless they are bothering you.

I doubt i'll get them, for multiple reasons, including the fact they're expensive anyways, and my teeth ain't that bad.

I dunno if i'd worry about others seeing them really, but if i was a bit older it would be weird since normally people get braces a bit youunger, 16 is already a bit late frankly.

And really i don't think i need them personally ;p.

I've got them now. To be honest, I never really notice them, and they only go across 6 of my top teeth. I needed them because my retainer which I had before for like 3 years to sort out an under-bite I had caused a massive gap in between my two top front teeth. 

They'll only be in for another couple of months, and no-one's really noticed them.

i guess it just becomes another part of you, kinda like when you wear like a hat or sunglasses and forget your wearing them ;p.

And yeah, i don't really have any massive gaps, sure i have some misaligned teeth, but overall i don't think its that bad.

I'm three years into my second set of braces. Hopefully, I'll get them off sometime this month. Then again... That's what I was hoping for last month... I miss Snickers img-1918139-1-sad.png

Edit: I forgot to mention, I just got my pallet expander off in July. So I got that going for me. img-1918139-2-smile.png

Dang... 3 years, and 2 sets? What the heck :(

I guess you got that going for ya though, one step at a time i guess.

I had braces from 5th to 8th grade.  I played the trombone, and aside from hurting a little the first time you play with them they don't impair ones playing.  I had very troublesome teeth back then.  I had nearly all my baby teeth pulled and had surgery on my mouth 3 times.

Hm, idk, all the trumpet players i know say it was much harder to play with them, so beats me, maybe they're exaggerating, or it somehow doesn't affect other brass instruments that much? I have no idea.

Danggg, talk about pain, i never got any pulled, and if i had to... well i don't know if i could.

I've never had surgery either, i'm not really that great at dealing with alot of forms of pain. Surgery sounds a bit scary frankly.

I have braces right now and after the first bit of getting used to them, you forget they're there at all. I'm really glad my orthodontist was good. I almost got 4 teeth pulled.

Yeah, i guess they fade into your thoughts, and you forget them.

I guess its better then having 4 teeth pulled.

I had some but they were on the top set and they accidentally fixed it too tight, so it caused eminence pain, after a while we didn't go back, my bottom teeth are still really jagged though

Owww. :/. well sounds a bit counter productive.

i had braces for like 3 or 4 years, it was freakin awful! to this day i still wonder if it was worth the money my parents spent, and the pain i had to go through.

basically, the top part of my jaw was "too narrow", so they put some horrible device in the roof of my mouth. every night, we had to use this little wire key thing (depicted in spoiler) and twist it 1-3 times until it clicks. the rotations cause the thing to spread wider. also on valentines i got the jaw expander. i recieved chocolates for valentines day though, and i made a deaded mistake. i ate a caramel chocolate with that thing on. it got trapped in the space above the expander, and i literally spent 10 minutes trying to remove it. anyway, the horrible device looked liked this.

img-1918648-1-hqdefault.jpg

i also had to get the herbst device, which is used to move the jaw forward or backward. its as evil as it looks. i'm not sure which of these devices were worse.

img-1918648-2-herbst-appliance.jpg

how the HELL can orthodontists do this for a living? are they all just sadists that found a legal way to inflict pain on people? you can't look at these things and not think they look like a diabolical mad scientist torture devices.

You know with the description you gave and the pictures those do look like a bit of a sinister torture device. I get pain just thinking about it...

• Brohoof 2

My dentist kept trying to convince me to get braces, but there was no way I'm going through that! It wouldn't be worth the pain anyway, the one troublesome tooth is at the bottom part of my mouth and I smile with my upper teeth! I just have to take care to brush that one individually when I'm done with my mouth, but oh well, it's better than being indefinitely stuck with a retainer.

Thankfully my parents left that decision up to me. I never went through with it because it was obviously a massive pain for little reward. I mean just look at them, they look like medieval torture devices! Now, my dentist is harping on my wisdom teeth... For the record, they are coming in just fine and they are happy where they are.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 2

My dentist kept trying to convince me to get braces, but there was no way I'm going through that! It wouldn't be worth the pain anyway, the one troublesome tooth is at the bottom part of my mouth and I smile with my upper teeth! I just have to take care to brush that one individually when I'm done with my mouth, but oh well, it's better than being indefinitely stuck with a retainer.

Thankfully my parents left that decision up to me. I never went through with it because it was obviously a massive pain for little reward. I mean just look at them, they look like medieval torture devices! Now, my dentist is harping on my wisdom teeth... For the record, they are coming in just fine and they are happy where they are.

Well, i guess they do help pay for their job. ;p.

And yeah i have most of my misaligned teeth on my bottom jaw, but i have an upper teeth smile mostly.

Having  retainer indefinately sounds like it'd kinda suck.

Mine probably won't get it, they forgot by now probably, and don't have the cash regardless. I don't want them anyways.

And omg wisdom teeth are a pain normally, i hope mine come in ok and don't screw up everything >_>. I hear they tend to do that.

I never had braces, but I am considering get them. My teeth sort of need them because of a problem here and there. Hopefully, I will get braces soon.

I considered them, but the fact they might impair my playing trumpet, and being of the random annoyances and pain, plus the fact i don't feel like my teeth need to really be fixed, and the cost of them, i just don't feel i need em.

But i guess if you have problems with your teeth its probably a good idea. Good luck with em.

• Brohoof 1

Well, i guess they do help pay for their job. ;p.

And yeah i have most of my misaligned teeth on my bottom jaw, but i have an upper teeth smile mostly.

Having  retainer indefinately sounds like it'd kinda suck.

Mine probably won't get it, they forgot by now probably, and don't have the cash regardless. I don't want them anyways.

And omg wisdom teeth are a pain normally, i hope mine come in ok and don't screw up everything dry.png. I hear they tend to do that.

I won`t lie, there are days where they hurt pretty bad. On a pain scale from 1-10, I`d say probably around a 6.7. Not painful enough to avoid eating, but just painful enough to be a nuisance. These moments are pretty rare though and I think it`s just because they`re still growing.

Tooth be told (hah!), it`s a wonder my dentist never suggested to just remove that one impacted tooth instead... Oh well, I'm not a dentist so what do I know?

• Brohoof 1

I had to get some braces to straighten my teeth, luckily it did some wonders. I no longer have to wear any braces anymore, sadly.

Well I guess that's good then :) glad they worked.

Why is it sad they got taken off though? I would think that getting rid of them would be good. Even if they worked well they did their job eventually :P

I won`t lie, there are days where they hurt pretty bad. On a pain scale from 1-10, I`d say probably around a 6.7. Not painful enough to avoid eating, but just painful enough to be a nuisance. These moments are pretty rare though and I think it`s just because they`re still growing.

Tooth be told (hah!), it`s a wonder my dentist never suggested to just remove that one impacted tooth instead... Oh well, I'm not a dentist so what do I know?

Well I guess it would get painful at some point, it's slowly realigning your teeth basically I can't imagine it's painless.

Oh you and the tooth puns :P.

I guess it's odd, although sounds painful, I dunno I've never had any teeth removed, hope I never have to, but when I get my wisdom teeth I imagine I will probaly.

Also I assume pulling a tooth costs less then braces, so maybe he wanted money :P idk

• Brohoof 2

Well I guess that's good then smile.png glad they worked.

Why is it sad they got taken off though? I would think that getting rid of them would be good. Even if they worked well they did their job eventually tongue.png

Well after you have braces in your mouth for a couple of years you get kind of attached to them, literally and figuratively.

I've had braces on for over two years now and I should be getting them off in a few months.

They only hurt when you first get them and when you get appointments, other than that you can't even feel them.

They don't need that much maintenance and you can't eat really hard foods. You're not supposed to eat sticky or chewy foods either but that's only because it will get stuck in your braces, Oh and NO gum.

Braces aren't as bad as people make them out to be but the first week is UTTER HELL!

I could barely speak.

It hurt like hell to eat, I couldn't even eat a sandwich.

And it was extremely uncomfortable, it made it hard for me to even sleep.

But after the first week all those problems disappear.

• Brohoof 1

Well after you have braces in your mouth for a couple of years you get kind of attached to them, literally and figuratively.

I've had braces on for over two years now and I should be getting them off in a few months.

They only hurt when you first get them and when you get appointments, other than that you can't even feel them.

They don't need that much maintenance and you can't eat really hard foods. You're not supposed to eat sticky or chewy foods either but that's only because it will get stuck in your braces, Oh and NO gum.

Braces aren't as bad as people make them out to be but the first week is UTTER HELL!

I could barely speak.

It hurt like hell to eat, I couldn't even eat a sandwich.

And it was extremely uncomfortable, it made it hard for me to even sleep.

But after the first week all those problems disappear.

I see, interesting i guess ;p.

I see, well i guess those would be the points where the most tension is applied, so it makes sense.

Well, that could suck in some cases, I don't chew gum but yeah. 

Well, i guess they probably aren't, but i really don't think i need them enough to warrant the trouble, so mostlikely i won't be getting them.

And dang, yeah i'd probably be in alot of pain then. Of course i don't normally talk alot so idk.

Yep, at least twice.  I inherited my mother's bad teeth.  I never remember it affecting me much. Sometimes I got away with chewing gum with them.

Curiously enough, when I was younger I thought that a dentist and an orthodontist were the same profession.  I almost never remember going to the dentist when I was young, but always to the orthodontist.  The equipment there looked much the same to me, and there was always the same antiseptic waiting room, how could I tell?

• Brohoof 1

I really should have had them. But for some reason I never did. Probably because my mouth is so sensitive that I can hardly even manage dentist appointments. xD

• Brohoof 1

I've had braces 5 or 6 years ago and let me tell you -- they sucked.

I constantly had canker sores, my teeth would be sore as heck, it was just awful. I also couldn't eat certain foods, which was a major disappointment.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I had braces to push back my goofy teeth when I was a teen: I had one for the bottom and one for the top, and they used to break because I used to chew on them. I did sort of think they were cool

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

Yep, at least twice.  I inherited my mother's bad teeth.  I never remember it affecting me much. Sometimes I got away with chewing gum with them.

Curiously enough, when I was younger I thought that a dentist and an orthodontist were the same profession.  I almost never remember going to the dentist when I was young, but always to the orthodontist.  The equipment there looked much the same to me, and there was always the same antiseptic waiting room, how could I tell?

Oh that sucks :/. 

And i guess as long as you didn't get it stuck thats cool.

I thought they where the same thing basically to for a while. They are pretty close I guess ;p.

I had braces for two years to straighten out my overcrowded mouth. When I finally got my braces off, I couldn't help not licking my chops.

I see, so then you where happy to have them off?

I really should have had them. But for some reason I never did. Probably because my mouth is so sensitive that I can hardly even manage dentist appointments. xD

I don't think i really need them, but my mouth is kinda sensitive to.

I've had braces 5 or 6 years ago and let me tell you -- they sucked.

I constantly had canker sores, my teeth would be sore as heck, it was just awful. I also couldn't eat certain foods, which was a major disappointment.

Dang, you had quite a harsh time with them.

And I'd hate to not be able to eat some of the stuff. Glad you don't have em anymore.

Yeah I had braces to push back my goofy teeth when I was a teen: I had one for the bottom and one for the top, and they used to break because I used to chew on them. I did sort of think they were cool

My teeth aren't that goofy, i have like 1 or two who are kinda outta place, thats it the others are pretty minor typically.

And yeah I guess they aren't super sturdy.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if it technically counts, but I NEED braces. I have a gap in the middle of my teeth and while some find it cute, I find it...eh... 

The only type of braces I am willing to get are those clear ones you can take on and off. I will NOT get metal braces.....Even if metal braces look cute on some people.

Also, my teeth always seem to be white even when I don't brush them for days...it's odd.

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 1

I used to have braces. For over two years and just late last year was when I finally got them taken off. It felt great considering how much all the patience was worth it in the end. :3

Two years of discomfort and pain, finally over and long done for. :P

I definitely don't miss having braces. :P

• Brohoof 1

Personal description :

Day1: hmm it feels weird

Day2: hmm slight pain *tries to eat something* Holy s*** the pain T_T

Meh.

Plus the "extras" something you wouldn't like to hear about xD

2 years later. Done

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if it technically counts, but I NEED braces. I have a gap in the middle of my teeth and while some find it cute, I find it...eh...

The only type of braces I am willing to get are those clear ones you can take on and off. I will NOT get metal braces.....Even if metal braces look cute on some people.

Also, my teeth always seem to be white even when I don't brush them for days...it's odd.

Well, maybe I should've put a poll option for that, didn't really think about that..

Anyways I only really have like 1 tooth thats off centered, most of my other teeth are fine or slightly off center.

I didn't know those existed, but it sounds convient. And yeah some people do look cute in them, just depends I guess.

That's odd, i brush mine daily or bi daily, and yet they are still tinted slightly near the top.

Maybe your just lucky :P

Never had braces and according to my dentist, I don't need them which is lucky. I do have a very very slight overbite but it's literally not noticeable. I am a Brit with good teeth, apparently a rare sight xD

Well I guess that is, just one thing you don't have to deal with.

My brother apparently has perfectly straight teeth according to my dentist, funny thing is i brush mine more often ;p.

And if it's not noticeable it isnt really worth it, besides having slightly unaligned teeth almost looks Better then totally even teeth.

I used to have braces. For over two years and just late last year was when I finally got them taken off. It felt great considering how much all the patience was worth it in the end. :3

Two years of discomfort and pain, finally over and long done for. :P

I definitely don't miss having braces. :P

Yeah I guess it feels nice after finally having them taken off.

Although taking them off sounds a bit painful.

I wouldn't miss them either, considering while they fix your teeth they impair them.

Personal description :

Day1: hmm it feels weird

Day2: hmm slight pain *tries to eat something* Holy s*** the pain T_T

Meh.

Plus the "extras" something you wouldn't like to hear about xD

2 years later. Done

Ow, If that was the case I wouldn't eat at all almost..

And idk.. Why wouldn't I want to hear about it?

You have me curious now :P.

Up to you I guess.

Sounds like a pretty simple story overall.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I used to have braces because i had a pretty big overbite but I got them off like 8 months ago. They sucked at first but eventually you get used to it. I'm pretty happy that I don't have them anymore though.

Edited by Super Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

And idk.. Why wouldn't I want to hear about it? You have me curious now .

Well depending on your case... idk but i simply had overbite, "simply" LOL, yeah it's not that simple to fix an overbite. ( Screws in the gums (or that head gear thingy to put at night..it wouldn't let you sleep)... plus later on you have to remove your wisdom teeth via surgery. 2 down 2 to go for me, second one is in December) and the multiple times they would scrape the hell out of my inner cheeks, and when they break. Plus the monthly trip to the dentist which sucks, because when he tightens them you will feel intense,vivid pain for 2 to 3 days. But I got used to them and they didn't stop me from eating anything. PS: i still have some kind of permanent retainer glued to the internal side of my teeth which is still annoying after 3 years.

(here a errr little explanation http://www.warringtonandhaltonhospitals.nhs.uk/page.asp?fldArea=3&fldMenu=21&fldSubMenu=10&fldKey=1206)

Edited by Sir. Rayray
  • Brohoof 1