Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you do when nervous?

Zygen

Usually, I zone out and contemplate on what I can do to overcome my nervousness. I clam up completely and avoid talking if I don't have to. Often times I will just sit there and dwell on it until it's all over with and then I can finally relax.

Another terrible habit of mine is that I bite my nails when nervous. It's so icky and unsightly, but thankfully I've been getting a lot better about not doing it, but when I do slip up I make sure to wash my hands real well afterwards. smile.png

Edited by Sugar Cube

When II'm nervous, I either:

• Start stuttering 
  • Take deep breaths
  • Hide behind my hair as my voice goes quiet 
  • I curl/twist my hair
  • I pace back and forth
  • I organize things
  • I stack things

And my heart rate has the nerve to increase severely to the point where I'm hyperventilating. 

I'm nervous quite a lot and being extremely shy also doesn't help the situation. 

I tend to get very stiff and very fidgety.  If I'm sitting down, my left leg will bounce involuntarily.  I'm also constantly looking for some way to escape.  When I'm really nervous, I'll actually start shivering as though I'm cold.

• 2 years later...

Typically I start stuttering and my voice cracks... If I'm in the situation for prolonged periods of time my heart rate starts to fail me and my body shakes terribly. Every time we had a presentation or essay to talk about in the front of the class in middle school and high school I'd near beg the teacher to schedule something after school or during lunch with little to no other kids/school staff in the classroom, which effectively helped me out a ton- not a lot of my peers found out about my anxiety issues.

• Brohoof 1

When I'm nervous I tend to ask things like "Please tell me I'm going to be okay, there's life after this" but if no one's around, I answer them myself and try to calm down. I hate being nervous because it hurts and sometimes ruins the thing I'm going to do. Be it a presentation or meeting new people, my mind makes everything seem like a huge deal. I also usually start to fiddle with my hair or something else.

(edited)

Let's see...

- greatly elevated heart rate and blood pressure (evident from doctor visits)

- heart palpitations

- sweating

- chills

- shaking

- stuttering/mixed up words

- inability to focus/concentrate

- watering eyes

- blushing

- excessive yawning

- if prolonged, I get digestive tract issues

- my voice sounds different, possibly higher pitched

- I rub my hands together in repetitive motions

- if I'm sitting, I sometimes rapidly stomp my feet

...and that's all I can think of now, but I'm probably forgetting something.

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 1

From what I've noticed, I tend to shake my head (not too much though), and I seem to keep my hands/fingers occupied with something, even if it's just moving them. Dunno if I do anything else but I just don't notice it. I recently got a stressball (mostly just to squeeze it, rather than to de-stress :P), so I give it a few squeezes if I'm nervous.

I tend to inflict pain to myself when I'm nervous. I either bite my finger or something similar. I find it usually helps me focus as the pain distracts me from my nerves.

Living with crippling anxiety, I have developed numerous things that I tend to do, most often these happen with me thinking of it at all.

I tend to:

Rock back and forth, I do this a lot anyways when I am not nervous, but it increases when nervousness hits.

Mess with my nails. Picking at them and whatnot.

Bounce my legs.

Tap my hands.

I sometimes have a nervous eye twitch.

I sometimes have a nervous kinda noise that I make, this one is difficult to explain.

I also tend to snack on somethign when I am nervous, as that cna help kinda take my mind off of it immediately, but not always.

• Brohoof 1

When I'm a little nervous I will sweat (even though I can sweat pretty easily when not nervous) and my voice will sound kind of monotonous and I will have trouble saying complete answers to questions. If I'm really nervous I shake and my heart will beat really fast.

I find that I need to hold onto something. My hands being free really bothers me when I'm nervous. I need a pen to flip around, a drink to sip, hair to braid, a paper to fold, SOMETHING...

I get queasy, twitchy and a huge pressure builds in my chest when I'm nervous. I often stammer and get tongue-tied, tap my feet or pace around. Sometimes I launch into house chores and get tons of stuff done, or I'll pick up a drawing tablet and scribble something furiously (which usually comes out awful, but compelling at the same time).  :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

I usually sweat excessively, have horrible stomachaches (actually happened yesterday when I had to take a test at my local college), or bite my fingernails. If my nervousness completely breaks the scale, sometimes I'll even have the feeling of having to throw up.

If I'm in front of people doing a presentation and I mentally break character, I go bright red like a tomato. I force myself to keep the act up, but let's just say things get pretty warm until I can get back into my role.

If I'm just generally really nervous about something, I notice I get clammy hands and cold sweats. It's also pretty obvious because of how curt I become when I'm discussing something as opposed to being my regular overly-verbose self.

When I'm nervous I talk quickly and feel a shortness of breath. I also lose my appetite and feel hypersensitive to any other stimuli around me (which makes me feel very overwhelmed).