Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Flies, what do you do and why.

Rainbow    Dash

I can not stand it when theres a fly in my house or even when they are near me. For some reason they seem to fly around me even though I smell great and have recently bathed. I dont even know why they exist unless their purpose was to annoy. Whenever i see one, depending on how close they are to me, I usually rage out and run around the house like a mad man. How do you guys react?

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, I don't know why flies do the things they do. I always keep an electric fly swatter handy to kill those suckers. The loud pop the flies make in the fly swatter amuses me... I am not evil!!!!!

• Brohoof 3

I feel like they make dirty everywhere they land. They usually don't bother me very much unless they are huge or there is a food around. I simply hate it when they get on food. :C  However, it is really fun to watch them clean themselves.

Oh I usually keep shooing them until they leave me alone or open a window for them and try to drive them that way.

Edited by Smoke

Flies think they are so clever, but little do they know that my trusty friend is nearby, ready to entangle them in its clever trap. The spider that lives on my porch built a huge web that traps all who dare touch it. This is one reason why I love those arachnids. Great for getting rid of those pests. :)

• Brohoof 1

I know people are supposed to "love and tolerate" but I tend to make exceptions for pests like flies. I kill them at any chance I get. If they're still alive by the time I swat them or catch them with my own hands, I burn them with a lighter or feed them to the spiders in my back yard. On the occasion I do find their larvae everywhere in the kitchen I tend to light them up with a lighter and feed the remainder to the spiders or ants.

Sorry, I just have a strong prejudice against certain things.

Flies help decompose dead animals - their larvae loosen the skin and make it easier for other animals to come in and feed on them. They also provide an indispensable part of the food chain for spiders, birds etc, and do an under-appreciated amount of work pollinating the less colourful plants and flowers that don't attract bees. Alongside that, they're a very helpful axis for evolutionary science in that they are insects that have existed for a huge period of time.

I never kill flies. I shoo them outside - I think it's mindless to kill them.

• Brohoof 2

I can not stand it when theres a fly in my house or even when they are near me. For some reason they seem to fly around me even though I smell great and have recently bathed. I dont even know why they exist unless their purpose was to annoy. Whenever i see one, depending on how close they are to me, I usually rage out and run around the house like a mad man. How do you guys react?

Fun fact: Insects are more likely to go towards you if you use any flower-scented product. Especially bees, because they're fooled.

Flies.

The disgusting bugs of the earth.

Ugh.

I usually just attempt to shoo them away, or ignore them completely. I used to be really bothered by them, but now I'm rather resigned to their existence. I don't kill them though. I hate killing things, plus it's rather pointless with their multiplication rate.

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

Like all things on the big old rock we call earth, its here for a reason.. well there is one fly that's here for no reason at all.. it dose noting but fly, have sex, and lives in the ground. noting eats it and it does noting.... but we are not talking about that kind of fly.

I'm sure you speak of the other fly.. the house fly.

The house fly was put here to help.. ahh well to help things return to mother earth.

Like dead things, they eat it and put there eggs in it so the larvae may eat it too.

The also eat rotting fruit etc..

Now what do I do when they are around? noting... if they land on me ok... I know what they do when they land.. but I don't mind. If they land on my food well... that's a different story.

Edited by ~Chaotic Celestia~

Urgh... Don't get me started on flies I can't stand them.

I mean they can get through a tiny crack in a window to get to you, but won't get out of a whole fucking open window? You fucking kidding me? *Sigh* Just no.

Jeezus.. Flies. I hate em'. I have a good story with flies and my precious trombone. <3

So, I'm at a band concert and we're performing the last and most complex song. Three notes before the song is over a fly lands on my nose and I lose my shit. I drop my trombone on the ground, not caring for it's quality and started swinging my hands rapidly. For the rest of the song I just kept swatting, the little bastard was teasing me. And as the song ended everyone (audience and the rest of the band) just stared at me.

So, yeah. I'm a pansy when it comes to the subject. Luckily, my trombone made it out safely. Our third final note was B Flat (1st Position) so I didn't ruin the slide.

• 2 years later...

I usually kill Flies as well.

I dont understand what they even want from my House or me.

They just fly around, doing pretty much nothing and then just die in my room from starving to death or they try to get out again.  :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

Flies have a pretty big purpose, actually. They're decomposers and help break down decaying material. I don't really like them, but I understand why they exist and I respect that at the very least.

• Brohoof 1

Flies are immensely annoying, so I tend to react with a flyswatter of fly death. I mean, if they want to do what they do, fine, but not in the house. Another reason for me to hate the Spring/Summer months, they thrive in that timeframe.

• Brohoof 1

I shut the doors to the room and take on the fly one on one with the help of a thick soft-cover book. If they didnt have wings and didn't dart around loudly like the annoying little nuisances they are, I'd be more forgiving. Like with ants, I let those guys back outside.