Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming are videogames art?

Mr. Critical

43 users have voted

1. 1. Are videogames art?

• yes
    • no

(edited)

Thanks guys. You've helped me far better anywhere else on the internet ever could. For that I say. Metaphysical gold stars for everyone! Now I have a speech to prepare and promise not to plagurize everything you guys said. But before I go. Here's a message from derpy.

post-18043-0-50671900-1382931023_thumb.png

Edited by Mr. Critical

I remember reading a comedian who described his views on this. He said something to the effect of 'Videos games are the weirdest kind of art; they are the only thing that gives you immediate feedback to if you're doing it right or wrong. All other arts you have to wait for someone to tell you fucked up, but with video games, you know.'

• Brohoof 1

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power

-Definition of art

I would consider video games an expression of human creative skill and imagination, so I think video games are art by definition. But there are even more ways I consider video games an art. First off, they have music, which is considered an art, visuals, which is considered art, stories, which is also considered art, so I see video games as this sort of combination of many art forms.

And if the above still doesn't convince you; I recommend trying out games such as: Journey (such a beautiful game), Flower, LIMBO, thomas was alone, Metal Gear Solid series, or the Professor Layton series. While I consider all games art, I feel these games and others are more art-like.

Edited by Blue Moon

I would say it is art but not in the same vein as traditional art, literature or movies. I say that the true art of video games is one of interaction and logic. its an art that creates a set of rules that the player explores. the rules set forth by the developers set the experience in a far greater and far subtler way than any amount of dialogue or any set piece

yes, games combine music, art and storytelling but these aren't exactly necessary. in my opinion, any game's true strength is in the immersion and it doesn't take much. there's reasons why games like pong, pacman and super mario have stuck with us more than halo, gta or call of duty

I can't understand why people would look at games and not consider it art. It's aesthetically pleasing. It can be. And they hire artists to help create them. How can someone look at something like Final Fantasy and not call the cutscenes or gameplay artistic?

Well, considering the experience a game can give you, and the amount of work and effort put into making them, and what is included in them, i'd be inclined to say yes.

Depends on your definition i guess, but i'd say yes.

I mean even within a game is different forms of artwork, like animation, art, ect. 

So yeah, i think Video games are art in their own right.

Yes, yes they are. Take a gander at the vast, open tundras of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Or listen to the roaring Latin chorus of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Or read the massive amount of lore behind Metroid or The Elder Scrolls. How is this not art? It's not a "traditional" form of art, but these games use assets in a way that make them a whole new form of art.

Granted, I'm an avid PC gamer, so I might be a bit biased in this regard ;)

Yeah, pretty much even the ones I'd rather not admit are art are in fact... art. Like Call of Duty. Or even games that are made just to ride on a gimmick for money, or... Angry Birds.

They're all pretty much create with "imagination and skill" and usually either "express important ideas" or express "feelings", or are indeed, just "beautiful." [All quotes taken from the Merriam-Webster definition of "art."]

In my opinion they are, there is a lot of work put into video games and what you see on the screen was created by someone. So it's more of an art then anything else, skyrim for example is art and many other video games. Video games are indeed art, the concept, storyline, soundtrack and the finishing product as well as all the programming and scripting is one big art. So yes video games are an art, one I have a lot of respect for.