Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

So let me start off by saying that I do NOT intend to start a flame war here. I'm just trying to figure out what seems to be the most canon ship in the entire show. (then again, I've only just watched up to episode 10 of Season 2, so there's still stuff I'm still not aware of)

There's nothing really wrong with the whole thing, right? But yet, there does seem to be a problem with it. I still can't help but think it's strange.Forgetting that they're different species (that doesn't really matter), I can't help but wonder; wait, Spike's a baby dragon, right? And I'm going to assume Rarity is a filly or something close to an adult, right?Now perhaps being a baby dragon means he could be closer to fifteen or sixteen when it comes to human years, since dragons in most fantasy settings tend to live for thousands of years. But even still, something about how small he is coupled with the fact that he is constantly referred to as a baby dragon kind of bothers me. All the innocent kissing is fine, but honestly after watching that episode it really seemed like it was a little more than that. I mean, he was going to confess his love to her right when he thought they were going to die. That was pretty intense.Bravo to the writers for doing something like this in what started as a children's cartoon. And honestly, I do like the whole Spike x Rarity ship. I love it in fact. But at the same time, I still can't help but find it strange.No flame war intended, and I hope I am not the only one who feels this way. I am still kind of newborn brony after all...

Edited by Aquila
Updated tags
  • Brohoof 6

Maybe it's because he's never met any other dragons in his life? I don't know, I like the Spike-centric episodes because he is such an interesting character and hasn't been developed much as the rest of the cast.

• Brohoof 2

There's nothing really wrong with the whole thing, right? But yet, there does seem to be a problem with it. I still can't help but think it's strange.

Yeah, the whole age gap thing is just a bit awkward, and then, well.... Canon or not, I've never really been a huge fan of the Rarity/Spike thing. My thoughts on the matter are similar to yours.

I'm not so sure that the species difference matters though. If you think back to Luna Eclipsed, those ponies pulling Luna's chariot were not normal pegasi. I could be completely wrong here, but I assume that there is a reason these guys have dragon eyes and wings?

post-1882-0-58708500-1330137848.png

• Brohoof 2

So let me start off by saying that I do NOT intend to start a flame war here. I'm just trying to figure out what seems to be the most canon ship in the entire show. (then again, I've only just watched up to episode 10 of Season 2, so there's still stuff I'm still not aware of)

There's nothing really wrong with the whole thing, right? But yet, there does seem to be a problem with it. I still can't help but think it's strange.

Forgetting that they're different species (that doesn't really matter), I can't help but wonder; wait, Spike's a baby dragon, right? And I'm going to assume Rarity is a filly or something close to an adult, right?

Now perhaps being a baby dragon means he could be closer to fifteen or sixteen when it comes to human years, since dragons in most fantasy settings tend to live for thousands of years. But even still, something about how small he is coupled with the fact that he is constantly referred to as a baby dragon kind of bothers me. All the innocent kissing is fine, but honestly after watching that episode it really seemed like it was a little more than that. I mean, he was going to confess his love to her right when he thought they were going to die. That was pretty intense.

Bravo to the writers for doing something like this in what started as a children's cartoon. And honestly, I do like the whole Spike x Rarity ship. I love it in fact. But at the same time, I still can't help but find it strange.

No flame war intended, and I hope I am not the only one who feels this way. I am still kind of newborn brony after all...

Spike must be about 10 years old. That's the way he feels to me, and I'm assuming the events of the cutie mark chronicles happened about 10 years in the past, since I believe the mane 6 are now 20-24 years old and back then 10-14

Yeah they are different species, but spike was raised by ponies wasn't he?

I don't really like the Spike - Rarity ship because Rarity doesn't act like she cares for Spike much... in my opinion (please no one hurt me) she seems to kinda use him, use her flashy female stuff to get what she wants out of him. I know him giving her that heart shaped gem was sweet and VERY selfless and generous of Spike, but she only wanted it because it was pretty and valuable ("At least 20 carats! No inclusions, pristine facets") - and he only gave it up because she connived for it a little bit. She didn't care that it was going to be delicious for him. He even told her it would be a wonderful, special birthday dinner for himself. She didn't care. Then she defended it from crazy-adult-Spike, citing that a dear friend had given it to her and that was why she didn't want it stolen, but I didn't believe her. Then she stops Spike mid-word from admitting his feelings to her. I felt like that way she could continue to string him along without acknowledging out in the open his feelings. To not outright reject him would aid her in exploiting his feelings while keeping him at hoof's length in the friend zone. She praises him just enough and gives him just enough affection for him to remain full-momentum head over heels in her direction.

If I were under the impression they both mutually cared for each other, then I'd be on that rated G or PG ship until Spike got old enough to be romantic without it being creepy. Or he might be old enough now considering dragon years and "baby dragon" could be the first 100 or so years of a dragon's life.

If you disagree with my opinion/perspective of Rarity, then you disagree with my opinion/perspective of Rarity, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just please do not flame me. I potentially could be wrong or misjudging her.

• Brohoof 1

like you said, yea "spike is a Baby dragon" but i think everyone looks past that and as kinda a way to explain why hes not huge and breathing fire and destroying everything :P i think spike x rarity is reallly cute , and i try not to look too much into the strangness of it ... to be honest the whole baby spike x Grown rarity never occurred to me until you mentioned it xD

oh i just remembered! spike is around their age as well ! he just isn't greedy which is why hes still small :D

Edited by Devyp2theizo

The only thing that seems weird to me is the age difference between Rarity and Spike. I would think that Rarity is like twice Spike's age, so it's kind of weird to have them love each other, but I suppose it could work.

I don't really like the Spike - Rarity ship because Rarity doesn't act like she cares for Spike much... in my opinion (please no one hurt me) she seems to kinda use him, use her flashy female stuff to get what she wants out of him. I know him giving her that heart shaped gem was sweet and VERY selfless and generous of Spike, but she only wanted it because it was pretty and valuable ("At least 20 carats! No inclusions, pristine facets") - and he only gave it up because she connived for it a little bit. She didn't care that it was going to be delicious for him. He even told her it would be a wonderful, special birthday dinner for himself. She didn't care. Then she defended it from crazy-adult-Spike, citing that a dear friend had given it to her and that was why she didn't want it stolen, but I didn't believe her. Then she stops Spike mid-word from admitting his feelings to her. I felt like that way she could continue to string him along without acknowledging out in the open his feelings. To not outright reject him would aid her in exploiting his feelings while keeping him at hoof's length in the friend zone. She praises him just enough and gives him just enough affection for him to remain full-momentum head over heels in her direction.

If I were under the impression they both mutually cared for each other, then I'd be on that rated G or PG ship until Spike got old enough to be romantic without it being creepy. Or he might be old enough now considering dragon years and "baby dragon" could be the first 100 or so years of a dragon's life.

If you disagree with my opinion/perspective of Rarity, then you disagree with my opinion/perspective of Rarity, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just please do not flame me. I potentially could be wrong or misjudging her.

These are all really good points, actually. I know Rarity is the pony of generosity and all, but honestly I could see her pulling the whole manipulation game. I wonder...is a fanfic brewing in my mind? I came here to discuss the strangeness but now it just seems to be giving me ideas...

But like I said, good points. Sad that Rarity might stoop to such a level. :(

Edited by Discolt
  • Brohoof 1

I actually agree with this. I felt like Rarity was using Spike and manipulating him to get that gem, and it didn't seem like she truly genuinely cared for him. She seemed to be really inconsiderate of the fact that Spike really wanted it.

As I've expressed elsewhere, I too take issue with the Spike/Rarity pairing. I'm not the least bit bothered by the fact that they're two different species...they're both intelligent beings, after all, and if they love each other, why should we get in the way of that?

No, what bothers me about it is, as you said, the fact that Spike is still essentially a little boy, while Rarity is an adult. Fortunately, I don't think Rarity really...loves him in the same way he does her. I feel it was more that she was caught up in the romanticism of the moment, and acted in a way she might not have otherwise.

I think also that what we saw in Secret of My Excess was the furthest it would go in the show...beyond that there's not too much need to acknowledge it any further. In fact, I don't believe we've seen Spike and Rarity interact together once since that episode, have we? Personally, I don't think any relationship between the two would last unless Spike became an adult before Rarity reaches the end of her natural lifespan. If he does, and he still loves her after having grown older, then something just might work there. But until he's an adult, the two really shouldn't get together romantically, because it just leaves me feeling unsettled otherwise. He's too young.

• Brohoof 1

As I've expressed elsewhere, I too take issue with the Spike/Rarity pairing. I'm not the least bit bothered by the fact that they're two different species...they're both intelligent beings, after all, and if they love each other, why should we get in the way of that?

No, what bothers me about it is, as you said, the fact that Spike is still essentially a little boy, while Rarity is an adult. Fortunately, I don't think Rarity really...loves him in the same way he does her. I feel it was more that she was caught up in the romanticism of the moment, and acted in a way she might not have otherwise.

I think also that what we saw in Secret of My Excess was the furthest it would go in the show...beyond that there's not too much need to acknowledge it any further. In fact, I don't believe we've seen Spike and Rarity interact together once since that episode, have we? Personally, I don't think any relationship between the two would last unless Spike became an adult before Rarity reaches the end of her natural lifespan. If he does, and he still loves her after having grown older, then something just might work there. But until he's an adult, the two really shouldn't get together romantically, because it just leaves me feeling unsettled otherwise. He's too young.

This is exactly how I feel about the Spike/Rarity ship. And not only is he still a boy (at least, in comparison to Rarity), Rarity treats him like a boy, not like a grown man. For them to get together as a couple while she still treats him like a boy would be... awkward, and probably not socially acceptable. Rarity wants to be with a full-grown, mature man, and I think that's what she needs in a man as well, because she is a strong, capable, independent woman. While Rarity is into modern fashion and coming up with new trends, at the same time, I find her to be more old-fashioned and classy. She wanted to marry Prince Blueblood, after all (until of course she found out that he's a douche who lacked all the chivalry in the world, but her impression of her before the Gala was that he was a gentlecolt).

I actually really like the RarityxSpike ship. I just don't like how they kinda dropped it off and hoped that everyone would would forget about it after that episode. The next hint at it was when spike caught Rarity when she fell during the "Would Famous Flim Flam Brothers".
  • Brohoof 1

I actually really like the RarityxSpike ship. I just don't like how they kinda dropped it off and hoped that everyone would would forget about it after that episode. The next hint at it was when spike caught Rarity when she fell during the "Would Famous Flim Flam Brothers".

Well, Spike is getting a new episode in a few weeks. It will be the first time we'll see him with other dragons, too. I'm looking forward to that episode very much.

Well, Spike is getting a new episode in a few weeks. It will be the first time we'll see him with other dragons, too. I'm looking forward to that episode very much.

Yea I read the summery for that one XD