Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

OK, I'm probably setting myself to be flamed here, but I wanted to get everypony's opinion.

I'm a big fan of the Rarity x Spike ship (having written some fan fiction with that as an element), and I'd really love to see this come out in the show. We haven't gotten any sort of inkling as to the status of this since Secret Of My Excess.

Until today, that is.

Do you think Rarity's character in today's episode implies that the relationship is blossoming? Further, do you believe the writers will touch on this fic in the future?

I dunno. I'm not really a big fan of Rarity x Spike, I mean, it's cute that Spike's in love with Rarity but in all honesty I believe it's just for her beauty. More like an infatuation rather than an actual love. In one of the earlier episodes of season 2 (I can't remember which one), for a brief moment, Twilight's mane is curled up and it's styled like Rarity's and Spike looks at her with hearts in his eyes.

I think it will be addressed later, but i doubt it would happen. I think they'll bring another Prince blueblood type into the picture, Rarity and him will go out, spike gets jealous, he turns out to be an arss and only spike notices, he hurts her in the end, spike gets back at him and rarity finds comfort in their friendship. But it's always possible, endless possibilities.

I think the issue is that spike's a baby dragon after all. Well, except for the fact that he grows by hoarding. So I guess if he hoarded enough to get to the right age it could work.

A thread regarding the spike x Rarity ship has already been started, so I'm merging your with the older one ;)

Oh god.

Guys, PLEASE.

This show is intended for kids.

Obviously there is no 'shipping' behind it. It's just everyone reading WAY too deep into a CARTOON.

It's almost as bad as anime-fags being all 'OMG THAT IS SO OTP' :I No. It's a show. God.

Spike has a crush on Rarity. That's it. There's nothing more to it.

But if you're going to be lame enough to try read what's not there, I guess you could suggest that spike is over his Rarity crush, since he kept rejecting her in the latest episode when she was trying to compliment him, or get him to stay. So, there you go.

Anime-fags? that's hurtful :(

If the creators had no intention of shipping they wouldn't add subtle hints of it in a lot of the time :P

I watch anime too :P

I dunno, like with things like Bleach, Kubo Tite [the creator] said he has no intention of shipping characters, yet everyone tries to pair the main ones off with each other, for example Ichigo x Rukia, Rukia x Renji, Orihime x Ichigo, Orihime x Ulquiorra, etc etc x3

I feel I can't really say that the Spike/Rarity ship is canon. I mean, it's obvious at this point that romantic feelings are canon, because Spike has obviously confessed his crush on Rarity. But I don't think it's mutual quite yet, so I don't think the ship can be called canon. But if there is one that would most likely become canon in the future, it'd probably be that one, I suppose.

If the creators had no intention of shipping they wouldn't add subtle hints of it in a lot of the time :P

What you see as "subtle hints" I see as, well... nothing. IMO, the relationship is completely one sided, and there's no indication that Rarity sees him as anything but a little brother-type.

I'll "repost" what I said on the discussion thread:

Rarity got familyzoned. Hard. (At the end of the episode where Spike's like "You're my family!")

As much as it is adorable, I don't think the writers are gonna take this anywhere.....

On the one hoof, the relationship is definitely one-sided: Spike is like a 14 or 15 year old boy with a crush on a 20 year old girl. It's clear that, in terms of emotional and physical development, Spike isn't quite compatible with Rarity and vice versa. She behaves like an older sister toward him, and he has recently been a little more subdued in his pursuits of Rarity's affections since the events of "The Secret of My Excess." Rarity appeared to understand that Spike felt romantically inclined toward her, but she has continued to downplay it in favor of a more motherly approach, as DumbFabric and others have highlighted.

On the other hoof, the relationship is made endearing because of their stark contrasts. Poor Spike can't really catch a break, and Rarity is not totally oblivious to his attention. I remember that one comic which portrayed the two of them building a relationship as they grew older, except Rarity entered late adulthood and old age as Spike blossomed into full maturity. What a melancholy thought! That melancholy atmosphere to the relationship lingers, and such a facet makes their potential romance viable in a peculiar manner.

I have to agree with ynomir, however, in that the writers have reined in, so to speak, the romantic undertones (and overtones) between Spike and Rarity. If I had to guess, they found Rarity x Spike was getting a little too much attention and developing beyond its intended purpose, i.e., Spike having a sweet teenage crush on an older girl. As I said, since the aforementioned episode wherein Rarity seemed to acknowledge Spike's feelings, the two of them have been altered slightly so as to cool down their relationship, e.g., Spike being more easily embarrassed by Rarity's attention; Rarity being overly doting toward Spike.

If we see a revival of their romance, I would be a bit surprised though not wholly opposed---so long as it didn't consume the show.

Personally I think it's cute. And yeah I have to agree with that, I'm guessing the creators are like 'Hmmm, adult fans? Lets give them something to ship'

It's a kids program, yeah, but just because it's a kids program doesn't mean we can't interpret it in our own way. Where would fan fic come from then (aside for original ideas )

I always saw it as Rarity just humoring Spike's crush, 10-12 y.o. kid has a crush on a 20 something year old woman and she just thinks it's cute I don't think there ever was any romance from Rarity other than just her humoring Spike. (imo of course)