Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

I find it strange how some fans would think Spike is so young when he has demonstrated maturity even beyond the 6 main ponies sometimes. See Lesson Zero and Best Night Ever. Sure he can be immature some times but so do the 6 main ponies from time to time.

Compared to the CmC's, Spike is responssibly independent like being on royal business to Canterlot for days on end as mentioned in Look Before you Sleep. I always imagined it was Spike that takes care of Twilight instead of the other way around like cooking or cleaning for her as implied in Its About Time when Twilight left Spike home alone to go to Tartarus. He is a good cook as shown or mentioned in episodes like Over a Barrel, Owls Well that Ends Well and A Bird in the Hoof. In Secret of my Excess, its implied Spike has no curfew because Twilight didn't wait for him to come home before going to bed.

Posted Image

I think why people consider him too young at first glance is because of his tiny dragon body. Pic related. Yes, he's a baby dragon but he is not a baby pony like the Cake twins. Yes, Twilight hatched his egg when she was young but we don't have a declaration of age or how long time has passed since then. Lauren Faust also said the ages were deliberately designed ambigous for story telling purposes. We don't know how these mythical creatures age and we don't know how long a day/year lasts on a world where the sun and moon are controlled by two alicorns.

I disagree withThereisnospoon303 saying the writers reined in regarding Spike and Rarity's ship tease due to real world reasons. S2 episodes ended production some time around late Dec 2011. If that's the case, by the time SomE and DQ aired, both episodes were already completely assembled and ready for airing. There's no way the writers could predict how the fans would react months in advance to what they write in their episodes.

Spike and Rarity are cute and the writers know this. The moment that you sexualize it is the only time it looks weird and that's why you shouldn't. Both characters are innocent and fairy tale-ish with their idea of romance. Rarity as a princess meeting her prince while Spike as a knight saving a princess.

And if Rarity only really likes Spike as a kid/brother/pet, wouldn't the writers make her tell some other pony about it to verbalize it on screen in an episode? Even if it was just for a gag. I mean, the show's real target audience are young children. Kids aren't gonna over analyze each character's behavior and create a subjective conclusion behind it. Kids don't even know what friendzone means. What they see on screen, they'll take it at face value and whatever that may be is what the writers intend to convey. I mean, take Spike's crush on Rarity, for example. The writers didn't beat the bush around that. Or the friendship reports at the end of each episode as a recap for the kids in case they didn't get it.

The way I see it, Spike and Rarity started out as a gag for the characters involved. An unrequitted secret crush used for visual humor. Then it changed by A Dog and Pony Show. The writers turned it into a story about this underdog boy doing touching heroic acts to win the heart of an unattainable girl. Its like a side story now simillar to how the CMC's do things to earn their cutie marks (and how RD wants to be a Wonderbolt member to a certain degree). But unlike the CMC's, Spike/Rarity side story progressed. By SomE, the secret crush was acknowledged. And by DQ, the girl's apathy has melted away and is finally noticing the boy. I can't wait to see what the writers have in store for Spike and Rarity in S3. There's no doubt they'll share at least 1 future episode in S3 like they did in the past two seasons.

Just my opinion.

I watch anime too :P

I dunno, like with things like Bleach, Kubo Tite [the creator] said he has no intention of shipping characters, yet everyone tries to pair the main ones off with each other, for example Ichigo x Rukia, Rukia x Renji, Orihime x Ichigo, Orihime x Ulquiorra, etc etc x3

I agree that the fans will try to pair together any characters that have lines and interact at all, but I just have to bring one tiny thing up in the case of Bleach.-Spoiler-Unless it was filler in the anime, Orihime was allowed to go to Ichigo's invisible before she was taken to Hueco Mundo and there confessed having feelings for him(sure he was asleep and couldn't hear her anyway). This indicates that Kubo may have some plans for at least that pairing and that that one isn't completely baseless for the fans-end Spoiler. Sorry, I'm a sucker for detail and had to bring that up. Sorry for being nit-picky. Edited by super muffin derpy506
  • Brohoof 1

I agree that the fans will try to pair together any characters that have lines and interact at all, but I just have to bring one tiny thing up in the case of Bleach.-Spoiler-Unless it was filler in the anime, Orihime was allowed to go to Ichigo's invisible before she was taken to Hueco Mundo and there confessed having feelings for him(sure he was asleep and couldn't hear her anyway). This indicates that Kubo may have some plans for at least that pairing and that that one isn't completely baseless for the fans-end Spoiler. Sorry, I'm a sucker for detail and had to bring that up. Sorry for being nit-picky.

Haha, no worries. Just think it's kinda ironic that once she's been in hueco mundo for a bit, suddenly she has feelings for Ulquiorria. xD

I dunno guys, even after Dragon Quest I still have a hard time seriously shipping Rarity/Spike.

There are, however, interesting parts about Dragon Quest that have to do with Spike and Rarity that I can't help but notice.

Many people interpret Rarity's concern for "Spikey-wikey" in joining the Dragon Migration as her being receptive of his crush on her. I'm not sure if that's quite how it is.

In Secret of My Excess, Spike finally admitted to Rarity that he had a crush on her. Well, he was about to until she covered his mouth and smiled, knowing what he was about to admit to her. I nearly cried at this moment, it was so cute and touching. And it changed the way that the two of them relate to each other.

I think, though, it's not her returning the feelings for Spike. I think that she is very flattered by Spike's feelings, but being flattered is not the same thing as returning his feelings. I have a friend who is a music teacher for elementary school kids. The other day she said that one of her second graders went up to her and asked if she would marry him. Obviously knowing that she can't marry him and that she's not in love with him the way she would be with an adult man, she adores his flattery, and that flattery was a reminder to her as to why she wanted to be an elementary school music teacher. Even though there isn't a 20-year age gap between Spike and Rarity, I have a feeling that Rarity's feelings are similar to my friend's. Rarity is very flattered by his feelings, and his feelings are a positive reminder for why she is the way she is, as well as the fact that she probably adores young infatuation.

But she doesn't return the feelings to him as she would to another adult. Rarity still sees Spike as a child. And I'm not sure if that will ever change as the series progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if he would ever have a chance, he likes her, obvious statement is obvious, and he is not much younger than her, a few years at most, but due to the fact that dragons age slower he is still quite immature. I was wondering if he actually has a chance seeing as earlier you know that Rarity was completely not bothered and wanted Blueblood (massive douchebag). What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

I don't know. It could happen, but lets just say that I don't really like Spike's chances. She seems more interested in high class stallions. Not to say that Spike wouldn't treat her right, its just that she doesn't seem all that interested in him beyond friendship. Edited by DJ MUFF1N D3RP

Yeah, but isn't Rarity like 20... and Spike just a little kid? Would be quite weird there, given how our culture views romantic relationships between adults and children.

At any rate, I think Rarity likes Spike as a friend, and possibly, a little brother of sorts.

Yes and dragonequuses came out of nowhere? :P

Obviously. :P Let's look at one:

Posted Image

I have a hard time thinking that a Unicorn and a Dragon would make something like that -- they have the body parts of at least 8 different creatures. I would think they would make something more like this:

Posted Image

Except, maybe 20% cooler than that. And with horns.

Just my USD0.02.

Edited by Ashbad

Obviously. :P Let's look at one:

Posted Image

I have a hard time thinking that a Unicorn and a Dragon would make something like that -- they have the body parts of at least 8 different creatures. I would think they would make something more like this:

Posted Image

Except, maybe 20% cooler than that. And with horns.

Just my USD0.02.

Heh, you don't know Rarities Lineage or Spikes! And we saw what that can lead to with the Cakes.

Heh, you don't know Rarities Lineage or Spikes! And we saw what that can lead to with the Cakes.

True dat, my friend. But I would assume Rarity didn't come from a Birdmonkey father and a GoatEagle Mother, and that Spike didn't come from something equally as weird :P who knows, though.