Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

JavaScript issues in Internet Explorer 11

Katana
Go to solution Solved by SCS,

So, Windows 8.1 came out a few days ago, and it includes Internet Explorer 11 (It's also available for Windows 7). Even when I had IE10, I had a few occasional issues with this board, but some of those increased in IE11.

For instance, trying to click the Link icon above the form should usually pop up a window to just paste one link in - now, it shows a multi-part form including E-mail addresses, and none of the controls are responsive. When I open the developer console, I see it running into a lot of errors. Actually, it seems like all of the dialog boxes become unresponsive...even the X buttons in the corner don't do anything.

Generally, IE11 should be catering to most of the HTML5 APIs the same way as the other browsers, so I'm a bit surprised I'm seeing so many issues - some of them could be because of code like this:

if (isIE) {

// do something the IE6 way

} else {

// do it the HTML5 way for Chrome/Firefox/etc

}

I don't know how much time the site administrators ever have to do JavaScript debugging, especially if most of the site uses existing libraries, so I understand things like this could take some time to fix - I just feel I should add I work as a web developer, and live and breathe JavaScript and modern libraries. So, while I really can't guarantee I have the spare time for it, I may at least be able to take some time in the IE11 debugger tools and point out specific areas where there are problems. If I somehow find the spare time, I could even help fix the bugs myself.

I don't recommend Internet Explorer. It is buggy, and it is difficult to develop websites that works with it - some websites just give up on it (Youtube almost did).

I'd recommend you go get Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Personally, I use Google Chrome.

However, if you are attached to IE, I believe that it has a compatibility mode or something.

That's been largely true about older versions of Internet Explorer, primarily Internet Explorer 6 (a demonic curse on the browser world that stagnated innovation for years) and even up to version 9 it hadn't quite caught up in all areas. But as of 10 and 11, it's mostly on par with the other browsers. It supports WebGL and HTML5 features, and even synchronizes your favorites between Windows computers. Plus, it's the best-reviewed touchscreen browser from what I've seen (on Windows Phone, and Windows 8/RT)

(IE made a corny site to summarize some of the changes: www.browseryoulovedtohate.com )

I'm certainly not asking anyone to switch to it - just at the least, respect the choices of someone who does use it. I wouldn't expect people to put in the hours to get IE6 through 8 working, but I feel like IE10/11 shouldn't be as big of a request. At my workplace, there tend to be just two targets: Coding for "all the good browsers" (IE10 included) and then coding for anything that doesn't work in IE below 10.

This topic concerns a technical or general issue that is better suited for an admin to handle, due to its' complicated or private nature. It is thus better suited as a Support Ticket.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.