Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone here an only child?

LED Dasher

I don't have any siblings. There are some things I like about it, and some I don't. For me, the good things about being an only child include having to face less conflicts, having a lot of time to myself, and not having to share stuff. I usually don't have to worry about anyone else but myself.

The worst part about not having siblings is the loneliness along with boredom. It would be nice to have someone other than my parents to talk to. I still talk to my friends and relatives when I meet them, but it would be nice if someone closer to my age lives with me. 

If you are an only child, how do you feel about it? If not, how would you feel if you were?

Edited by LED Dasher
  • Brohoof 7

*raises hand*

I'm grown now, but I'm an only child.  My parents met and married later in life than most of their peers so when they were ready to have children, they only had time for one.  Me.  I sometimes wish I had siblings growing up.  On the one had I was spared the inevitable brother-brother or brother-sister fights.  On the other hand, I never learned how to toughen up in the way that ususally accompanies that.  My parents meant well but they often treated me inconsistently.  Sometimes they spoiled me rotten.  Other times, they were very authoritarian.  I also never had the experience of seeing mom and dad raise another child aside from myself and I would've greatly valued that perspective. 

I do have an extended family including relatives that I'm close to, and I am grateful for that.  :)

• Brohoof 3

I'm an only child too, though I rather enjoy that fact.  One of my best friends growing up had a brother that was only a year or two younger than him, and it seemed like they did nothing but fight whenever I was at their house.  As far as the being lonely factor, I'm not much of a people person anyways.  I have a handful of close friends that I can confide in when I feel the need, and around the house I have my pets.  I never feel lonely when I have one of my dogs or cats around to talk to and play with.

• Brohoof 3

I'm not an only child, but I feel like one most of the time.  My brother is seven years older than me and my sister is four years older than me, in other words, they played together and left me alone.  I've been quite lonely when I was younger because they went to school and I had to stay at home.  I would have liked to have a younger sibling but that wasn't possible (my mom had me at 40).

I know some people who are only children and most of them are spoiled rotten.  That's not meant to be offensive to only kids, it's just that parents seem to have trouble not spoiling their kid when they have just one :\

• Brohoof 2

Being an only child is rather boring compared to the siblings life, it has it's benefits though. I like peace and quiet therefore it is rather positive for me being an only child, however I sometimes miss someone I could possibly talk to, in fact I am mostly at home, just surfing on the internet, if I had a sibling, I'd probably have a more cheerful life or rather a more active life, as my life as it is right now seems rather dull. I'd rather be on my own though and not getting disturbed all that much in my home so I think it might be better being an only child in my case.

• Brohoof 4

I myself am an only child. All of my friends who have siblings claim I'm so lucky, but I don't know that I'm that lucky. What happens when I'm older and my parents die? I'll be alone. Sure I may have a wife, and some kids but what If I don't? I'm not bored being an only child, but it can be a little lonely at times. Even though you may fight and such, just knowing there's somebody out there who will always be there for you is rather comforting, at least I'd think it could be.

Being an only kid has it's pros and its cons. It is what it is. I wouldn't want to start over with siblings, as that would change my current life. I guess In the end I'm happy with what I have. Being an only child has been decent enough for me over the years, and sure it can get lonely but it's not too bad. Having siblings also has its pros and cons too. 

Edited by Seibutsu Akuma
  • Brohoof 3

Though I'm not an only child, it certainly feels like I am. I'm technically the only "child" in the house(feels odd saying that since I'm 18 lol). I don't really talk with my siblings at all really. Most of them are parents and have kids of their own, so I don't really see them as much anymore.

So I have a really good idea of what it's like, and honestly, it feels nice. I'm normally an introvert so having my room to myself, not having to share any of my possessions, and having zero sibling rivalry and arguments is great for me. :P

So I'm technically an only child! :P Yay!

• Brohoof 4

I'm not only child, but I feel like it at times. Since my younger brothers don't live with me, it does sort of feel like it. I'm thankful to have them though. It would be horrible if they weren't born. I would be totally alone in this life. :(

• Brohoof 2

It seems to me that people are happy the way they are. I guess when you grow up with or without siblings, you're used to it. It can come as a shock if your siblings leave you or if you suddenly have a sibling after not having one before.

• Brohoof 1

I'm an only child and I live with my grandparents. It's really lonely and I don't really have anyone to relate to or anything. Thus, I'm a loner. :/

I grew up as an only child and I still kind of consider myself one. I have a much older step brother and we are pretty much polar opposites. What he likes I hate and the opposite is true. He's an introvert and I'm an extrovert. We still care for one another, but we would be clueless for conversation if we were stuck in the same room.

As for the experience, it really isn't that bad. Two friends I had when I was a kid had younger siblings. They made me so happy I was an only child, silence was a very rare occurrence in their houses... It can be lonely at times, but I have my pets to keep me company. I can also confide my full trust in my best friend when I'm really conflicted about something.

• Brohoof 1

I have a brother who is two years older than me. However, he is high functioning autistic, so most people thought I was older. My parents forced us to play nice, and I'm glad they did. My brother is a facinating guy, so smart, funny, and a musical genius. I think living apart makes things a lot easier, but he's one of my favorite people to spend time with, and it's unfortunate that we live so far apart.

As a child, it was tough, because he got more attention than me, but that was because he had A LOT of doctors appointments trying to figure out exactly what was wrong with him. It made me bitter for a long time, but I'm rather over it now.

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if I would have been better off as an only child, but a little more affection from my family would have been nice. As the youngest of four I've always felt like the most insignificant part of my family, and I have been. My sister and my brothers have always been more important than me, and I've been emotionally neglected, which probably at least partially accounts for how messed up I am.

• Brohoof 2

I have two brothers and a sister and I am the eldest brother.

Its definately a mixed bag, its fun being able to do things with your siblings but it makes fighting with them worse than your typicial argument. All in all I'd say it was a good thing for me.

Sadly seen others on the absolute worst terms with there siblings. It isn't pretty at all.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not an only child, I grew up with three sisters, two older than me and one younger. I always wished I were an only child, even though my sisters mostly had conflicts between each other. I just wished to have more time on my own instead of having big family dinners and night-outs.

• Brohoof 2

I'm an only child. I was my parent's second attempt at a child. I would have had a brother two years older than me had that pregnancy not failed.

When I was younger I liked being an only child, but now I kinda wish I had a sibling. It did kind of make me a loner. :/

• Brohoof 4

I'm an only child and I personally like it mostly because I like it to be nice and quiet which I probably wouldn't get if I had a younger brother or sister. I also seen and been around my friends younger brother and it just made me so much happier that I was one lol

• Brohoof 1

I'm an only child here. I know exactly how everyone feels. I always get lonely and I really don't have anypony to talk to. I have much more responsibilities, but I'm okay with that. On Friday nights my parents go out and I'm home alone for awhile. It tends to get scary and lonely at the same time.

But all in all, It's cool, but it sucks.

giphy.gif

• Brohoof 3