Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony on here afraid of thunderstorms?

Wardaddy

The first and only time I ever experienced a thunderstorm was last year, we rarely get any big storms where I live. One lightning bolt actually hit my house and blew up my internet modem, the TV in the living room and took out the power for like a week :P But I'm not really scared of thunderstorms too much, after all it can't hit you directly while you're indoors.

I love them. Where I live the lightning tends to be rather on the dull side, single bolts of blue lightning here and there. At the coast though with the sea to power them, you get the crazy, multi-streaking arcs of lightning, which during one storm i witnessed was a shade of purple. Purple Lightning! How can that not be awesome.

I've also heard of lightning being orange too but never seen that other than a picture.

Edited by Malinter

You know, I actually find thunder to be rather fascinating. Lightning, the loud crashes... it's all so incredibly enticing.
I remember disobeying my parents' strict orders not to go outside during thunderstorms when I was a kid.
I prefer "bad weather" over nice weather in general, and could spend hours just watching raindrops hit against my window.

To me, there's something very soothing, and therapeutic about it.

rainy-window-o.gif

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Brohoof 2

Thunderstorms are terrifying to me. Anything that makes a loud noise or looks scary freaks me out. When I was a child I witnessed my first thunderstorm, and was scared all night. I literally didn't go to sleep, and when I did, I only got 1 hour of sleep. good thing school was closed the next day.

Thunderstorms = Bad

134333577520.gif

I used to be terrified of thunderstorms, mostly because I've always hated loud noises.  In recent years though, I've come to somewhat enjoy them, or at least watching the lightning from a window.

Now that I think of it, there hasn't really been a good thunderstorm in my area for a long time.  The last major non-snowstorm I can think of was Sandy, and that was mostly just wind, and no lightning.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, not really. I went through two hurricanes (a rare occurrence in New England) and came out just fine, and those are supposed to be much worse than thunderstorms. They're more like glorified rainstorms with strong winds if you ask me.

I actually like thunderstorms, I'm not entirely sure why. Rain in general is very calming to me and thunderstorms are also fairly relaxing, so long as I can get some sleep and nobody is getting hurt. The only thing I have to worry about is the power going out or a tree falling, which isn't very life threatening. I have strong confidence that a tree will never land on my house. I know anything can happen but eh, not scared.

• Brohoof 1

I live in QLD, Australia, and thunderstorms are a pretty common thing. (Although there hasn't been one for quite a while, now). Anyway, I gotta be honest here, I really love them.

Like, seriously.

I love the heavy rain and the thunder sounds awesome. Besides, they give me an excuse to lay in bed all day playing Pokemon. :P

• Brohoof 1

I find them simultaneously fascinating and frightening. In England they're virtually nonexistent, but they do happen occasionally in Italy. The last time I was there (Italy), there was in fact a sizable thunderstorm later in the night when I was out with some friends. It was the first time in recent memory that I saw thunder and lightning dancing the sky the way it did. It was both alluring and frightening. Part of me wants to see it again, but the other is uncertain if it should dread it or not. Either way, I think they're really, REALLY cool!

Hehe. There was a thunder storm last night. xJpg51C.png

One of the loudest ones I've heard so far. It sounded like nuclear bombs were exploding outside!

SO AWESOME! biggrin.png

It was %120 cooler! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png 

It was at 2 AM though - I was sleepy. sleep.png

@, No... i actually took my umbrella and stood in a thunderstorm counting the lightnings once. I looked forward to rain because it meant that i could use my umbrella... mwhich in my childish mind was awesome. 

I'm not afraid of thunderstorms. In fact, I'm the polar opposite. I'm what you would call a brontophile, which is a person that is very fond of thunderstorms. I love thunderstorms! My favorite part about summertime is the severe weather season. Thunderstorms, especially strong to severe ones, give me such an adrenaline rush that I can be just as excited as Pinkie Pie is when she throws a party. The weaker "garden-variety" storms are more calming than exciting.

My favorite part about them is lightning. I love lightning. I actually go outside to watch thunderstorms approach, and depending on their severity I'll stay outside until it becomes clear that I really should return indoors. Lightning just fascinates me, and it's also really beautiful, yet powerful. A force definitely not to be messed with.

Thunderstorms can also turn any day for me into a good day. I also have a saying, "There is never a bad time for a thunderstorm." I take that very literally, too. No matter what I'm doing, a thunderstorm "interrupting" it has never made me upset. Driving? I'm okay with it. By the pool? I'm okay with it. Out mountain biking? I'm okay with it. Sleeping? I'm okay with that (if I wake up, that is). You get the idea.

Unfortunately for me, where I live (Pennsylvania), we don't always get decent storms. It varies year to year. This year, for example, was very weak in terms of thunderstorms in my area. We had maybe one or two I'd consider decent, but nothing really good. Yet the severe weather season a couple years prior was actually unusually active, with several severe weather events resulting in tornado watches and warnings for my region.

To make up for the lack of storms this year, I'm planning to go "lightning chasing" next summer. I want to practice storm chasing, because someday I plan to travel to the US Great Plains to actually try chasing tornadoes for the first time, because I really would like to see one in-person.

The only time I'll be scared of a storm is if it's destructive. Either by producing destructive winds, very large hail or a tornado that's destroying the town. At that point, the 'fun' factor disappears, but fortunately for me I've never encountered that. Oh, and I suppose being struck by lightning wouldn't be very good either. I often say that if I don't die from a natural death, it'll probably be by lightning, considering I often make efforts to see it, even if it means going outside.

I can be startled by thunderstorms when the lightning does strike too close for comfort and I hear large thundercrashes that sound like explosions. Also like most children growing up, I was afraid of the part of the storm that couldn't hurt you. The thunder. At some point I learned that it was the lightning that was the cause of the thunder and my curiosity got the better of me. So I faced my fear to watch a storm for the first time. I saw the beautiful bolts of lightning streaking across the sky and was hooked ever since.

Now that autumn is here, the thunderstorm season is dying down, if it isn't finished already now. That makes me sad. So now it's time to focus on the potential future snowstorms. Maybe I'll get lucky and experience thundersnow, which is also really cool (no pun intended)! I've experienced thundersnow a few times, and it's pretty exciting. Until then, I suppose watching lightning strike compilations on YouTube will have to suffice.

I love thunderstorms, cold weather, snow, all of that. Even the really bad ones. I'm actually reeeally looking forward to winter because it's my favorite season!

But yeah, when a good thunderstorm comes I love to just get into some warm clothes, maybe get a cup of coffee or something and just sit out on the porch and feel nice and cozy and safe while I just watch the storm. They're very peaceful to me actually. The other thing I'll do is just sit inside in something comfy and just watch out the window and feel safe and warm inside. It's a very calm feeling, and most likely one of my favorites.

• Brohoof 1

Rarely get thunderstorms, but when we do, I adore them. I'd love to go walking at night during one, if it wasn't so feckin dangerous :P

only downside for me is that it probably leads to powercuts, which means no internets or games. Fuck dat.

But the last tie there was one, I whipped out the guitar, had a few pints of guinness with my parents and played cards and board games. Was epic :P

I live in southwest Florida so would I be scared of thunderstorms, not really. It may not be the lightning capital of the world, but it does hold the record for most days out of the year that thunder can be heard, this means it thunders a lot. A few months ago I saw a storm with lightning strikes happening one after another with about one lightning strike per two seconds. As for snow, I rarely see it, but with the time I have been around snow, I have loved seeing it.

• 4 years later...

I like thunderstorms. Well, I don't like being outside in the middle of one. Then, I get somewhat paranoid. But from the safety of my room, I love to watch nature's fury in action. :D

• Brohoof 2

I'm never afraid of thunderstorms unless they're really close by. I actually like hearing thunder except when I'm trying to sleep.

Edited by Gernia

I'm only scared of tornadoes, power outages and other real dangers/inconveniences like that.

My dog is scared of them, though.

Needless to say, I don't like thunderstorms.

• Brohoof 1