Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony on here afraid of thunderstorms?

Wardaddy

I love thunderstorms. They make it so cozy and nice to be inside (as long as they don't knock the power out). I even like being outside in them as long as there isn't too much lightning nearby.

Severe weather can be beautiful as long as it doesn't get destructive. 

When I was a child, I was afraid of thunderstorms. But since I am older and I got interest into meteorology, I am really fascinated of thunderstorms. My interest started with an experience in my childhood where a Tornado hit my village.  Nowadays, I stay always on my window when I have a thunderstorm.  I love especially the cloud formations in front of the storm (my favorite clouds are the shelf cloud). I am also really interested into storm chasing. I really like thunderstorms (as long as nobody get hurt or something get destroyed).

I love storms of all kinds, especially rainstorms but thunderstorms are cool too. Even better if I'm outside and under the pouring rain, which isn't the case for most people I know.

The only thing I'm afraid of, honestly, is falling sick from being drenched and in the cold for a long time.

Used to drive my mom crazy but since like the age of 8, Everytime we'd have a tornado warning, quite often in tornado alley, I'd pop Twister in the VHS player and start watching it in the living room.

So no, im not afraid of a little rain, electricity, and a twistin' funnel.

Not really. I went almost a decade without ever seeing or hearing one. When I did for the first time, it was more wonder than dread or fear.

Now they're pretty occasional during half the year. More an annoyance than anything.

Though when the sirens go off, s:mellow:t gets real.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen first hand what they can do and they're no laughing matter. But that didn't stop me and my dad from going out in the old beater Chevy S10 that we called storm chaser every time there was a storm in the area or standing on the porch watching them blow by. Sadly, that doesn't happen anymore after his stroke, now he just sends me out and says "take pictures." Mom hates it.

We had a tornado blow right through my Grandma's land one weekend when everybody in the extended family was out camping. While the whole family was inside, in the basement or under a mattress in the bathtub, me, my dad, and my cousin were outside looking at the beautiful green sky. When the weather starts to look like it came out of a Beatles' music video, you know it's serious.

Edited by Cyclone 1066

(edited)

Im afraid of Thunderstorms, i think they are way to loud and im always in fear, that they hit our home or that they strike me and im dead. Edit: Okay, maybe i missunderstood something, if you mean with Storms, really big ones, than i guess i never experienced such ones. It gets Windy of course, but im not sure if you can call that a Storm, what we have here, but there is Thunder at least.

Edited by Luna Moon

3 hours ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

Don't get me wrong, I've seen first hand what they can do and they're no laughing matter. But that didn't stop me and my dad from going out in the old beater Chevy S10 that we called storm chaser every time there was a storm in the area or standing on the porch watching them blow by. Sadly, that doesn't happen anymore after his stroke, now he just sends me out and says "take pictures." Mom hates it.

We had a tornado blow right through my Grandma's land one weekend when everybody in the extended family was out camping. While the whole family was inside, in the basement or under a mattress in the bathtub, me, my dad, and my cousin were outside looking at the beautiful green sky. When the weather starts to look like it came out of a Beatles' music video, you know it's serious.

I remember the sky turning green right before or during a storm when I used to live in central Illinois, and I remember once we had a little twister that nearly came down in our backyard. Thankfully it ended up disappearing before it caused too much damage. :wacko: You don't see too many twisters here in Florida, we tend to get waterspouts a lot though. 

• Brohoof 1

Afraid? No.

But I dislike thunderstorms for sure. Loud crackling noises, potential to fry the computer and any consoles AND turn off my freaking power... Have had a grudge with the whole phenomenon since it fried my brother's Xbox, on a day which happened to be a Friday the 13th that was ALSO my 13th birthday.

Though I find them a little bit fascinating, no matter how much contempt I have for them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I do get scared of thunderstorms, but they aren’t a big deal to me unless they try to knock my house down. About two years ago, I almost got hit by a lightning bolt during a hard storm but thank goodness I was under a bridge.