Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

slice of life Thunderstorm, a Button Mash fanfic

Chamber Check

Hi all, just a short story to start. I’m working on a longer one featuring my OC but for now, here’s this little one. I couldn’t think up a better title, so I’m just calling it “Thunderstorm”

Enjoy!

………………..

Croomsh

Button Mash jumped, startled fully awake by the ominous crack of thunder in the distance. Eyes wide, he stared around the room, his hooves shaking.

“Mom…”

Hearing no response, he jumped up, crossing the cluttered room to the hall. Down the hall he scampered, on edge for another crack of thunder or flash of lightening. It was just the two of them that night, his dad having gone to a weekend conference and his brother staying at a friend’s.

He opened the door a crack. Seeing his mother’s still form beneath the covers he called out again, “Mom?”

The bundle stirred, “Hmm?”

As soon as Button saw his mother’s head appear, mane tousled and blinking concerned blue eyes in the low light, he galloped across the room and threw his forelegs around her.

“Button? Button, sweetie what’s wrong?”

Lightning flashed, followed by a particularly loud boom of thunder. Button flinched, and buried his face in her neck.

“Hey, hey, hey ,hey. It’s okay. It’s okay. It’s only thunder.” His mother soothed, wrapping her own forelegs around him and pulling him close.

Button snuggled into his mother’s embrace, comforted by her presence, even through the thunder still crashed and the lightening still cut jagged cracks across the sky.

“It’s only a storm,” his mom whispered to him, “It’s only a storm.”

“I had a bad dream, too.” Button whispered, his voice muffled in her shoulder.

“I knew I shouldn’t have let you play Whinny of Terror,” His mom whispered, smiling slightly.

“No, that was awesome,” Button replied, eliciting a chuckle from his mother.

“You are so like your father.”

The thunder boomed again, “Sawhorse!” Button yelped, cowering.

“Awesome, huh?”

“C…can I sleep here with you tonight mom?” Button whispered, hazel eyes wide.

“Of course you can, sweetie,” his mom replied. She pulled back the covers and button scurried under them as more thunder crashed, more distant now.

“There we go,” Button’s mom said, as she pulled the covers over them both. He huddled close, and she wrapped him in an embrace again, stroking his copper mane with her hoof. “Shh, shh. It’s gonna be all right.”

“I’m sorry I got scared…” Button whispered.

Taken aback, his mom replied, “What do you mean?”

“You and dad are always telling me to be brave, to face my fears and not let that stop me and…I couldn’t do it…I’m sorry.”

“Oh, no, no, no honey, that’s not what we meant,” she hugged button close, resting her head on his, “There’s nothing wrong with being scared. You didn’t fail at anything. Being brave means knowing when to ask for help, knowing when you can’t do something. And I promise, I will always be here for you if you need me, your dad too.”

Button smiled, nestling into his mother’s embrace. He was safe now. Mom was right there so everything would be all right. He settled down, breathing in the smell of her shampoo, mixed with a little dish soap and detergent, and knew he was safe.  “Thanks mom.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie. Now good night.”

“Gnightmom,” Button mumbled, drifting off.

And so the pair drifted off, under the fading thunderclaps, to sleep at last.

…………….

What do you think? I kinda threw this together before the plot bunny ran away. It’s fairly standard, but it’s nice to see Button’s mom living up to her cutie mark. I may fix this up in the future, so you’re feedback is appreciated, although no flames please.

Thanks.

Oh, and for those who couldn’t tell, Whinny of Terror is a play on Cry of Fear, one of my favorite horror games, along with the first three Silent Hills, the Amnesia series, and Outlast.

See ya.

Chamber Check

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly thought this thread would be like:
Buttonmash:

1214580_1367959881843_full.jpg

Buttons mom:

censored_pinkie_pie_by_luckygirl88-d4msp

Censored Because Sex. huehuehuehuehuehuehue (But seriously, thats all that buttons mom fanfics are about..)

Also, Great beginner fanfic. There should be more of a plot to it, though, I mean seriously. I hope this was just a teaser because they were getting in bed together. And if so, It was a hilarious way of misleading readers into thinking this is a cf.