Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Boom! You're suddenly homeless. What do you do?

Glaci

What would you do if you were homeless? How would you live your life everyday.

Would you simply just live that way forever, or would you pull yourself out?

I dunno, I would probably try finding anyplace that would let me have a job. If that failed, I would do my best to provide myself with things I HAD to have to live. 

Also, scaring people could always be fun :P

I would try to pull myself out of it, and maybe ask some help from my friends to help me get out of this rut. It might not be easy at first, I'll find a way to get out of the sudden homeless feeling.

I guess, if possible, go live with another family member or friend if possible.

If not, then I'd try and find a good spot to settle in I supposed - then try to work out how/where I'd get food, like someones orange tree or something.

I'd be a bit stuck.

Well first things first, i am going to every drivethru around me to collect the change on the ground. But yes i would pull myself out of it one way or another

I would contact a family member and see if I could stay with them till I find a job... AND of course try really hard to get one... I don't wanna be a bum the rest of my life living on other people couches and making them pay for stuff that I need... 

• Brohoof 1

I actually ran into a homeless person I've seen before in a restaurant, and he gave me a few tips, so this is what I'd do if I were homeless.

Try your best to get ahold of a shopping cart or anything similar, as it the best way to carry any belongs you find among the waste.

Now you need to find a food source, anywhere will do as long as the food doesn't get you sick, then it's pretty much over. Dumpster, places that throw out scraps, soup kitchens, churches, anywhere. Finding drinking water isn't as big as a problem as you think in America, as you can find a water fountain just about everywhere.

Shelter is now another thing you'll have to find, the best thing you can find is a broken tent you can attempt to repair and sleep in under a bridge to keep you dry. Cardboard boxes are another good choice, as it is a good wind blocker. During winter it is ideal to move south with the birds if possible, if not possible than stay indoors (like what the homeless man was doing during this) and see if there is any homeless shelters near by to sleep during the night. If not...well you're going to have a very cold sleep unless you'd manage to find a terminal sleeping bag.

Once you have all this down you have an ideal way of survival, and can start looking for a job to get money to move up in life. Though I based this all of true homelessness, not just staying over at a friends house all the time since you don't have one. Living homeless will most likely get you depressed, so you'll have to find something to do doing your free time.

Oh and the homeless man, my mother gave him a gift card for the restaurant we were in so he could get something to eat. Just such a sad planet...

Edited by Retro✮Derpy
  • Brohoof 9

I actually ran into a homeless person I've seen before in a restaurant, and he gave me a few tips, so this is what I'd do if I were homeless.

Try your best to get ahold of a shopping cart or anything similar, as it the best way to carry any belongs you find among the waste.

Now you need to find a food source, anywhere will do as long as the food doesn't get you sick, then it's pretty much over. Dumpster, places that throw out scraps, soup kitchens, churches, anywhere. Finding drinking water isn't as big as a problem as you think in America, as you can find a water fountain just about everywhere.

Shelter is now another thing you'll have to find, the best thing you can find is a broken tent you can attempt to repair and sleep in under a bridge to keep you dry. Cardboard boxes are another good choice, as it is a good wind blocker. During winter it is ideal to move south with the birds if possible, if not possible than stay indoors (like what the homeless man was doing during this) and see if there is any homeless shelters near by to sleep during the night. If not...well you're going to have a very cold sleep unless you'd manage to find a terminal sleeping bag.

Once you have all this down you have an ideal way of survival, and can start looking for a job to get money to move up in life. Though I based this all of true homelessness, not just staying over at a friends house all the time since you don't have one. Living homeless will most likely get you depressed, so you'll have to find something to do doing your free time.

Oh and the homeless man, my mother gave him a gift card for the restaurant we were in so he could get something to eat. Just such a sad planet...

Yeah, I can imagine that I'd get somewhat depressed if I was homeless. However I would need to get out of it somehow, and find the joy in it, if there is any. I'd find family who would give me something to at least look good in a resume, maybe get a job if possible. Getting a job is extremely hard when you're homeless, so I imagine trying to find someone to live with in the spare time would be best.

What would you do if you were homeless? How would you live your life everyday.

Would you simply just live that way forever, or would you pull yourself out?

I dunno, I would probably try finding anyplace that would let me have a job. If that failed, I would do my best to provide myself with things I HAD to have to live.

Also, scaring people could always be fun :P

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and got myself back on my feet.

Anyway as for the 'what would I do', I'll replace it with 'what did I do.'

I started travelling, I took it as an opportunity to explore the world around me. While travelling I learned a lot, met new people and found out things about myself. I also discovered how to live on little and alternative lifestyles. Once I returned 'home' (4 years of wandering) I knew I couldn't work for anyone else and started my own business.

And before anyone says it, no you do not need money to go travelling. You have feet and a thumb. As for places to stay you just be smart, it's not hard to sleep outside and usually you can create something, also people throw away all sorts of useful stuff. Lastly food.., dumpster diving my friend. I'm not homeless anymore and I still fill my fridge with food the supermarkets throw away. Technically it's theft, but meh.

While on the road there are quite a few places (at least in Europe) that allow you to work for food and board, a good example is what's know as Woofing, meaning Workers On Organic Farms. Go to a farm involved and they will house you and feed you all you need do is a few hours work a day.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 3

Immediately apply for wellfare, take advantage of the government's system, and make it so your tax dollars go into my monthly booze funds. Just like any other self-respecting American would do.

• Brohoof 3

Well, if I were suddenly homeless I'm sure my family would help me out so I'm going to answer this based on having no family.

I would apply for jobs wherever I could, a skill based job may overlook my current lack of housing so I may have more luck applying for an IT Technician job. Failing that, I would head out of the city and go from farm to farm to see if they needed pickers, any sort of job that's cash in hand would do, just enough cash to rent the cheapest of places I could find, once I have an address finding a job would be much easier. As for food, I would try random restaurants and ask if I could clean or wash dishes for a meal. There are plenty of restaurants in my city.

• Brohoof 1

I would call my best friend, explain the situation and ask if he would handle me until I get myself back together. My educational plans would have to be suspended and I would work as a part timer at my current job instead of as a summer student.

After a short while of this, I could leave my friend and obtain a small apartment, then get back to education. I would have to give up a fair number of luxuries, but I could probably pull through my education okay. Then from there, it's just a matter of getting hired. The apartment really would come in handy at that point.

Now, this is what I'd do if I suddenly became homeless, all my investments crumpled and my parents were unwilling to help. Here's what I'd do if I were homeless and powerless to alter anything:

Get one of those stereotypical long brown coats, get to know the location of homeless shelters (because the winter can get crazy), build myself a makeshift shelter and live off of instant noodles. I would also continue to avoid alcohol, drugs and cigarettes like the plague, it wouldn't help my image nor my cause.

• Brohoof 1

Immediately apply for wellfare, take advantage of the government's system, and make it so your tax dollars go into my monthly booze funds. Just like any other self-respecting American would do.

Or you could do this

HomelessManSignNeedMoneyBeerPotHook.png

Seriously though a good way to tell if they are full of BS is by offering them food, if they accept than they are usually the real deal if not than well I am not going to feed that habit.

If I found myself homeless the first thing I would do is either find or make myself a reliable shank, it can get dangerous out there and I don't want to make the streets my grave. I would try to get in contact with a relative and stay with them until I am able to find a job and somewhere to live if not I will be hanging around churches, soup kitchens and homeless shelters as much as possible and will be doing a bit of panhandling and maybe some scavenging through dumpsters if necessary.

I would pull myself out of it, I would try hard finding a job whether it be a low income job or not it would slowly get me off the streets. If not then I'd find a tall bridge, there my climbing abilities would help.

Of course if you're only talking about suddenly moving away from my family I would just rent an apartment.

I know for a fact that I have friends and family who would help me in a situation like this. Still though, if I had to go a week or so homeless before help would arrive I'd probably look for a homeless shelter of some sort, and I'd try to get a job so that I'm making an income once help does arrive.

Well, realistically speaking the first thing i'd do when i'm all of a sudden homeless is that i'd cry, because that would suck a whole lot, and i'd be worried and scared like crazy.

After i collect myself i'd probably look for a job, maybe call a friend or something, and maybe try and get somewhere like a fast food restaurant to be nearby where i am so that I have somewhere I can be for the bathroom and possibly temporary shelter, maybe even food.

But i would try to get out, i wouldn't want to be homeless my whole life, whether i'd get out is another story...

If I where to become homeless,I would do everything in my power to become the local crazy homeless guy.People would walk by be like''Hey there is Lone the crazy homeless dude.''The I would live out my days going town to town becoming famous for my insanity. The I would buy a shotgun and fight crime.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Walk around and explore as far as I can before I die of starvation or something. I wouldn't be able to recover from it, so what's the point? =/

• Brohoof 1