Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Boom! You're suddenly homeless. What do you do?

Glaci

Well, living homeless IS possible. You can make a couch-surfing rotation around with your friends and family until you can find a stable job and pull yourself together. You can take part in government programs that help people in these situations, if you think it can help.

Besides that, it's possible to live inside a car, if push comes to shove.

Obviously, the goal is to find a job and earn money as fast as possible so that you can help yourself out of the mess. Get a pager, or one of those super-cheap department store cell-phones (or even a pager or something), clean your clothes (even if by hand, so that you look presentable) and if you need, you can shave using some cheap razors. Get some hair product and deordorant, and you're practically set to go looking for a job.

Doesn't even have to be something fancy, but as long as you can produce money and can appear relatively clean (as in, not a homeless) around work without arousing suspicion it's indeed possible to gather money and escape the life of homelessness.

Living outside, with no stable food source, little to no fresh water, pollution, pests, punks, always looking for a place to sleep in or a place where you can leave your stuff... non of it's easy, even if you can manage somehow. Once winter comes, it becomes even worse. So if at all possible, it'll be up to you to do everything you can to save yourself from this situation.

I'd probably kill myself.

Awfully blunt, I know, but when I'm hardly motivated to live day-to-day life as it is, I just can't find any reason to dig myself out of a hole like that when I have nobody to turn to.

I would try to find a place to sleep, and find a job as soon as I can before I start needing to bathe. If I have a job, then minumum wage income will go a long way in buying meager food and water. Education will go out the window though, not much I can do about that. Or maybe I could still go to school, then live at the school in secret. (That's a much better idea, at least until I graduate)

That's already happened in my lifetime - when I was much, much younger.

And moving on to the question. I would find another place to live, simply put. 

What do you mean suddenly, ive been homeless for years now. Havent been in a place of my own since 2003

As a professional driver I live at my job 24/7, this smart phone is my only internet access and live out of an old duffle bag

But overall, life is good

• Brohoof 2

I would try to join a primitive tribe, like the (probably misspelling all of these) Burbor nomads of the Sahara, the Embaraa tribe of Panama, or maybe the Tuvins of Siberia.  But I hate cold, so probably not that one.  I have no idea how I'd go about this.  I have no idea how I would get there, or what I would do if I did.  It would truly be a Dances With Wolves situation.  I would throw myself on their (metaphorical) doorstep, and try to overcome the language barrier, and hope they would take me in, that I may become one of them, turn my back on the modern world and live out my days in harmony with nature.  But really, there's no question that I would try to do this, because part of me has actually wanted to do this anyway for a long time.  Part of me wishes I could, and I think about it a lot.

Depending on the circumstances I would first find a place where I could contact some of my friends to see my options. Then I would go learn about my other options..

Get a job. I can easily see myself being on the starving artists side of things, so already having worked as a trashman, I'd be fine with that kind of life until I could scrape together enough for a living.

I would probably ask a friend or a family member for a place to stay and try to find a job. 

• Brohoof 1

The first thing I'd do is ring my parents. I'm 100% positive they'll help me out with a temporary place to stay.

Depending on whether or not I'd reach them, I've got friends who can help me out whenever I get in a pinch, so I'm not really concerned it's the end of the world if it ever does happen.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ugh, being homeless is one of my greatest fears, I have no idea what I would do...

I'll do my best to get a job I guess...

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

Bawl my eyes out until I can't cry anymore.

What I would really do is go to a relative's house or a friend's house and stay there for awhile. Then I would get a job and save up money until I can afford to live on my own. Or I could sit on my grandmother's couch and eat Oreo's.

Do NOT confuse homeless with jobless. HUGE difference!

I had a job and was homeless for months back in 2007. Even though I was making 400+ a week take-home, there was almost no way to get a place to live. I ended up having to move way back away to my mother's place and restart.

Homeless= No place to rest your head

Jobless= No job

Destitute= both of the above. Luckily I have never been there. Homeless was bad enough.

Do NOT confuse homeless with jobless. HUGE difference!

I had a job and was homeless for months back in 2007. Even though I was making 400+ a week take-home, there was almost no way to get a place to live. I ended up having to move way back away to my mother's place and restart.

Homeless= No place to rest your head

Jobless= No job

Destitute= both of the above. Luckily I have never been there. Homeless was bad enough.

and hopeless means you have nuthin! :D

and hopeless means you have nuthin! :D

Please do not make light of such a horrible situation. I would not wish for my worst enemy to be in any of these situations. It is horribly depressing, and make one wish they were never born. Added note: your glib reply makes light of the struggles that myself and others have had to go through due to hardship. Luckily I had a job during my hardship. otherwise I would not have known what I would have done.