Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Super Mario 3D World

SPLinux

post-22-0-46841100-1382553433_thumb.jpg   

Super Mario 3D World is the next 3D Mario game in the main Mario series, it is the first 3D Mario to have co-op multi-player like the New Super Mario Bros. series that allows 4 players on the same screen. Like Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS the game feels like a combination of the 2D and 3D Mario worlds. Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad, the same cast as Super Mario Bros. 2 are the playable characters in the game, and like Mario 2 each character has different properties. Mario is the average well rounded player, Luigi has the highest jump, Peach has the ability to float a short distance, and Toad is the fastest character.

The game releases on Wii U in North America on November 22, Europe on November 29, Australia on November 30, and Japan on November 21.

Trailers:

E3 2013

Nintendo Direct 10/1/13

Nintendo of Japan's Youtube Overview

English Super Mario 3D World Overview

10 New Things from Super Mario 3D World (Warning: Possible Spoilers)

So let's discuss all things Super Mario 3D World :-D

Edited by ~Harmonic SPLinux~
  • Brohoof 1

This game looks so superb. November 22nd needs to hurry up lol.

I remember people hating on it months ago just because it wasn't Galaxy 3 or Sunshine 2. Now it looks utterly fantastic. :P

• Brohoof 1

It's probably just because I grew up back when games were really low quality, but I liked Mario when it was simple and 2D and had the amazingly memorable music. The gameplay was simple and anyone could play it. These new games just feel weird to me.

At first yeah, I was pretty disappointed that this was going to be the big 3D Mario game. Oh no not another 3D land.

However the latest video completely changed my whole opinion on it. It certainly has that Galaxy feel to it and the level design is impressive.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was one of my favourite multiplayer games but it was often really annoying with the constant bumping. With a 3rd dimension added not only do you get some amazing adventuring from the Galaxy game but it gives so much more space to move around = less bumping. And Nintendo have filled the space well, especially with that new cherry power-up. Looks crazily fun and I'm sure it will be.

The only problem I have with the game right now are the sucky and gimmicky gamepad control. It's really uninventive and boring. It's like playing 2nd player in Galaxy, and nobody did that. Well at least it's not a main focus in the game so it can be gently ignored.

Overall- super hyped, this will make me buy the WiiU.

It's probably just because I grew up back when games were really low quality, but I liked Mario when it was simple and 2D and had the amazingly memorable music. The gameplay was simple and anyone could play it. These new games just feel weird to me.

The 3D games have a lot more memorable music than the 2D I assure you ^-^ I also grew up playing 2D Mario only (Super Mario World and Land and All Stars) I wish the new 2D ones were taken more seriously and had better secrets. They just don't make secrets/bonuses like they used to~

The 3D games have a lot more memorable music than the 2D I assure you ^-^ I also grew up playing 2D Mario only (Super Mario World and Land and All Stars) I wish the new 2D ones were taken more seriously and had better secrets. They just don't make secrets/bonuses like they used to~

I'm sure they do, but I also believe in the "don't fix what isn't broken" philosophy, so trying to move on from a ame that I enjoyed is difficult to say the least. Much like the newer Pokemon games.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit... When this was announced in the E3 direct... I was pretty disappointed. We all expected another Galaxy game, or something of that scope. But the more I see of this game, the more I think I'll like it. My family is always clamoring for more multiplayer games, and I've loved every 3D Mario game I've played.

This looks like it may be the best Mario game since Galaxy. It's visuals are on par - actually - even better than Galaxy's beautifully simple graphics. There are a lot of throwbacks to previous games, but looks relatively unlike any Mario we've seen before. It also seems like Nintendo is finally listening to their fans and changing up the tired concept of Princess is captured by Bowser, and creating a totally new story.

Overall, this game looks amazing, and it'll definitely fit in with my Wii U family.

I have to admit... When this was announced in the E3 direct... I was pretty disappointed. We all expected another Galaxy game, or something of that scope.

And how was this game ever so different from the Galaxy series?

If you mean in that Galaxy was an original theme, while Super Mario 3D World isn't, I understand, but otherwise I can't see how this ever looked like it would pale in comparison to Galaxy. Galaxy had the same linear level designs. There's not a huge difference between the two. =/

I didn't want Super Mario 3D World, nor did I want Super Mario Galaxy 3. I have a hard time understanding why everybody was rightfully disappointed at the beginning, but then they changed their minds. It still looks like the same game that was shown at E3. It's a sorry way to launch off the 3D Mario series on a new console. It may end up being a great game, but it's a bit underwhelming and reflects badly upon the Wii U when you consider that each console beforehand (N64 and beyond) had a Mario 3D platformer with a unique theme. The Wii U doesn't... It continues what should have remained a handheld series.

And how was this game ever so different from the Galaxy series?

If you mean in that Galaxy was an original theme, while Super Mario 3D World isn't, I understand, but otherwise I can't see how this ever looked like it would pale in comparison to Galaxy. Galaxy had the same linear level designs. There's not a huge difference between the two. =/

I didn't want Super Mario 3D World, nor did I want Super Mario Galaxy 3. I have a hard time understanding why everybody was rightfully disappointed at the beginning, but then they changed their minds. It still looks like the same game that was shown at E3. It's a sorry way to launch off the 3D Mario series on a new console. It may end up being a great game, but it's a bit underwhelming and reflects badly upon the Wii U when you consider that each console beforehand (N64 and beyond) had a Mario 3D platformer with a unique theme. The Wii U doesn't... It continues what should have remained a handheld series.

I think the world somehow seems... Smaller. I can't explain it, really, but it just seems like 3D World is a smaller game, not necessarily in length, but it just looks smaller. I dunno if it's the depth of field or what, it's just different. I think Kyle Bosman puts it well that it seems like 3D World is made up of designed video game levels, where the point is to get from point A to point B, and while Galaxy 1 & 2 may have this same linear style, the worlds felt like real worlds rather than obstacle courses. We'll have to wait and see what different gameplay mechanics 3D World gives us. If it's purely platforming and a few powerups that don't give you new abilities, but make it easier to do what you already are, I think I'l still be disappointed.

Just three more weeks until this game comes out. Got it pre ordered at Gamestop. Hopefully I can get enough cash to get it on launch day. Can't wait to play as Peach because Bowser constantly capturing her has gotten pretty old.

I cannot wait for this game to come out! I was eager to get more glimpses at the game ever since they first showed it off and every time a new trailer comes out it keeps looking better and better!  I wish Nintendo released this instead of New Super Mario Bros. U at launch and gave us a full 3D Mario title that would be the successor to Galaxy right now. But beggars can't be choosers. :S

If you happen to live near a Potterty Barn PBTeen location you may have a chance to try out Super Mario 3D World before launch :), you may also have a chance to win a Wii U Deluxe Console, the promotion starts November 4th and ends November 24th, just go in from 3:30pm to close every day during the promotion. Find if a store near you is doing this here:   http://www.pbteen.com/pages/wiiu/

Looks like a interesting way to promote the Wii U and Super Mario 3D World, never would think they would do something like this at Pottery Barn.

My husband and I agreed to go cheap for Christmas, because we're currently kinda broke-ish. He got a ticket that's kind of expensive over BS. Anyways, we agreed in January that we would get a WiiU. He really wants this, but I never really felt that close of a connection with Mario.

I really want Pikmin >.>

• 2 weeks later...

Only 5 days remain until the release of Super Mario 3D World in North America! :-)

Reviews of the game should be up on November 19th, and according to a leaked review accidentally posted by IGN the game was given a 9.6/10 score which sounds excellent smile.png

I'm so excited for this game, just have to wait until Christmas because I only have $20 right now.  It's a good thing I got my Wii U when I did, because there's some great games coming out for it soon.

Reviews for the game are now being posted all over the web, the game is getting very high scores all over. Critics are calling the game the best since Super Mario Galaxy 2 and some call it one of the greatest Mario games ever.

The game currently holds a 93 on metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/super-mario-3d-world/critic-reviews

I cannot even describe my excitement for this game, i just want to play it as soon as possible!

Game has been getting fantastic reviews so far. I can't believe everyone was calling this 3D Land HD lol.

Because it pretty much is.

A bunch of positive reviews from big gaming sites doesn't change that at all.

Because it pretty much is. A bunch of positive reviews from big gaming sites doesn't change that at all.

So multiple playable unique playable characters, over world map, unique bosses, special captain toad levels, etc is just 3D Land HD to you?

So multiple playable unique playable characters, over world map, unique bosses, special captain toad levels, etc is just 3D Land HD to you?

Pretty much.

All of those are incredibly insignificant considering that the game, at its foundation, is just another Super Mario 3D Land. They can add as many playable characters with minor differentiations, and such, but they can't cover up the fact that it's just more of the same.

I only say this because I expect more out of a 3D platformer on a Nintendo console. Until the Wii U, each console had started off with a unique 3D Mario platformer. Now we've just got a bland follow-up to 3D Land. A title I did enjoy, but definitely felt that it should have stayed on handhelds. Is 3D Land/World going to transform the 3D Mario series into a bland series of similar follow-ups like New Super Mario Bros.? It doesn't help that when Nintendo thinks of a 3D platformer outside of 3D Land, they can only think of Super Mario Galaxy 3, which I most certainly don't want either.

3D World may be a fun game, but it will only be for a short time. Everybody's Wii U's will start collecting dusts again in no time. This is why I refuse to get a Wii U until they get a game out like Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros. 4, which are more than a single-player mission that gets boring in a week or less. 3D World is a renting game, nothing more.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much.

All of those are incredibly insignificant considering that the game, at its foundation, is just another Super Mario 3D Land. They can add as many playable characters with minor differentiations, and such, but they can't cover up the fact that it's just more of the same.

I only say this because I expect more out of a 3D platformer on a Nintendo console. Until the Wii U, each console had started off with a unique 3D Mario platformer. Now we've just got a bland follow-up to 3D Land. A title I did enjoy, but definitely felt that it should have stayed on handhelds. Is 3D Land/World going to transform the 3D Mario series into a bland series of similar follow-ups like New Super Mario Bros.? It doesn't help that when Nintendo thinks of a 3D platformer outside of 3D Land, they can only think of Super Mario Galaxy 3, which I most certainly don't want either.

3D World may be a fun game, but it will only be for a short time. Everybody's Wii U's will start collecting dusts again in no time. This is why I refuse to get a Wii U until they get a game out like Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros. 4, which are more than a single-player mission that gets boring in a week or less. 3D World is a renting game, nothing more.

I'm getting this game tomorrow. I'll I'll be playing it plenty wink.png

Edited by Bright Honor

Hopefully I can get my hands on this game tomorrow... I rarely get to go into town. :(

If I do, though, I'll be taking advantage of Target's buy 2 get 1 free deal and I'll get this, Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends all at once. :3

• Brohoof 1