Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you consider yourself a misanthropic or philanthropic brony/pegasister?

InvaderShy

Misanthropy and philanthropy  

30 users have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself a misanthropist or a philanthropist?

• Misanthropist
    • Philanthropist
    • None of above

Since I met the MLP universe I've found many different thinkings related or not with the series. One of those topics is the standpoint of many people about humanity and I've found many misanthropic opinions about it. Some of them saying we're parasites, monsters, violent, evil and stuff like that. I barely have found philanthropic bronies/pegasisters that really believe in mankind.

Sometimes, I've found points of view that demonize human race and sanctify ponykind, even ignoring that between ponies there are detestable and heartless ones; King Sombra and, partly, Sunset Shimmer are examples of that.

At other times, I've found optimistic standpoints about human nature and even some of them stated that ponies and humans beings could perfectly coexist.

Don't get me wrong, I know humans are not perfect, nor saints, but that doesn't mean we're pure evil and destruction. If you want to know my standpoint humans are such complex creatures to immediately classify them as evil or good. 

I don't know if after seeing the MLP series the misanthropic sense of certain type of people increased by 10, maybe I can be wrong. Does being a brony/pegasister implies to abhor humankind just for not being like ponies?

I don't want to bother anybody with this, but to discuss and debate about it. I repeat it, I just want to debate, nothing more, nothing less.

So, do you consider yourself a misanthropist or a philanthropist? Why?

• Brohoof 1

I'm more of an philanthropic brony since, I don't think that mankind is evil or good if they don't believe in my interests or beliefs and not even for liking ponies either. It would just be pointless.

Leaning more philanthropic.

I don't believe humanity is inherently bad. You'd have to be pretty cynical...and ignore all the good people have managed to do and still do. I do believe people have the power to change, and can themselves make a difference if they only bothered to try. The smallest things can make the world a brighter place. If not in a grand scale, you can impact somebody's life positively. Little things, even things as simple as kindness, do make an impact. I've had too many encounters out on the road to be convinced otherwise.

I am SO misanthropic it hurts.  I mean, sure, it all started when all the bullshit human nature made me put up with when I was younger, but I just cannot STAND how much our desires for bigger shiny things and sharper sticks has stood in the way of a decent and functional society.

• Brohoof 2

Well I didn't know either of these words till I used google. 

And it seems like philanthropic people are like optomists about humans and misanthropic people are like haters of humanity or something. 
So I'll stick on the philanthropic side. 

But I might have this whole philanthropic/misanthropic thing wrong. If I am could you please explain, if you want to. 

But I might have this whole philanthropic/misanthropic thing wrong. If I am could you please explain, if you want to.

You're right. Misanthropy comes from greek and means "hate at humanity"; Philanthropy comes from greek as well and means "love of humanity". 

• Brohoof 1

I'll say philanthropic. There are some horrible people, but there are many genuinely nice and caring people as well. 

It feels like everyone just focuses on the bad side of humanity, not the good. 

• Brohoof 2

Eh, I lean more towards philanthropy. Humans are flawed, no doubt but in general, humans are on of the kinder species. Have you ever seen a wolf drag their brother from the way of an elk herd or seen a horse come back for a member of the herd? Humans have done this while no other animal would even think of that. There are bad people, but think about it, how many evil humans are there in comparison to the billions that are good?

I'm neither, I don't have a good experience when it comes to other humans. But I don't really care whether people are good or bad, there are good people and there are bad people. That's it, not all humans are good or bad, it's complex.

I neither hate or love humanity, but I love what humanity has given us. Cars, internet and all that. So I'm neither, I'm just neutral I don't see a reason hating it or loving it.

I pretty much think that in it's current development humanity is at a crossroads. We have achieved many remarkable things in recent history after a really dark period. However there are still things that drag us down. I believe that humanity can be great but today's society doesn't make things any easier. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens in the future and do our parts to steer things in the right direction.  

• Brohoof 1

Neither, really. I'm not terribly optimistic about humankind but I don't hate it either. Some of the posts I see glorifying fictional ponies at the expense of our own species are downright silly. Don't compare the ponies to us, love them for what and who they are. Same with humans for that matter. This is something I've accepted with time.

• Brohoof 1

I pretty much think that in it's current development humanity is at a crossroads. We have achieved many remarkable things in recent history after a really dark period. However there are still things that drag us down. I believe that humanity can be great but today's society doesn't make things any easier. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens in the future and do our parts to steer things in the right direction.  

When you said that post, this came to mind 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvjoWOwnn4

Humans are born good, one of the nicest people I've ever met was a psychopath. We need to focus on the good side of humanity, not the evil

• Brohoof 1

When you said that post, this came to mind 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvjoWOwnn4

Humans are born good, one of the nicest people I've ever met was a psychopath. We need to focus on the good side of humanity, not the evil

Funny thing is: we just recently watched this exact video in class :D and I do believe that there is a lot of truth to this speech still to this day.

I see myself more on the philanthropist side. Sure humankind does plenty of wrongs, but we do right much more often. Unfortunately, the rights go largely unnoticed; they're just too expected, normal, taken for granted, that's why we make such a big stink when someone does something wrong.

If you asked me a couple months ago, I would probably said "none of the above" since I liked to keep my options open (and still do), but I find myself rushing to humanity's defense way too often these days. I feel like I've said this somewhere before but, I guess you just don't realize how much you care about something until you're forced to defend it.

Funny thing is: we just recently watched this exact video in class biggrin.png and I do believe that there is a lot of truth to this speech still to this day.

Really, if humans are so bad, why does most art portray evil as weak? We focus on the bad of the world because the good is the norm. I have no clue why, but this video gives me a "I'm proud to be human" vibe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh_dBMz-rG8

• Brohoof 1

Well, maybe my late-night response was a little less than true.  I'm not so misanthropic that I'm antisocial (just heavily introverted - like, resting-bitch-face introverted) at all, and I'm generally willing to see the good in people, but it bugs me how I hard I have to dig to find good in people, when it really should just be in front of me.

• Brohoof 1

I'm somewhere in the middle. There is no perfect creature and there is no worst creature. We only strive to get better in our lives and hope that in the future it will get better. But even then, it will still never be perfect. 

I'm more of a philanthrop. Neither the human race, nor the ponies are perfect. Both races have the same inherent flaws, like tendencies to make snap judegments about people like Zacura, and having crap leaders. However, both have shown that they have the capacity, and the desire to do good. 

I lean more towards philanthropic. I mean there's a lot about humanity that I hate; war, lust for money, intolerance, etc. But there's also a lot of wonderful aspects, probably more than the negative aspects. Overall, neither humans nor the ponies from the show are infallibly perfect, but at least most of us both really strive to do good.

No matter what, I always try my best to look towards the bright side of almost anything. It's much better than dwelling in negativity. :)

I'm in the middle, leaning misanthropic.

I believe that humanity is an incredibly flawed species full of jerks, stupidity, and corruption. But, as the days go by, I feel that people are improving, and knowing right from wrong more. But at the same time, some people are the opposite and become worse over time.

I'd say that living in this century is better than living in any previous ones, as a lot of people have been more accepting, and other stuff that make them better people now than others.

Edited by Franklin Clinton

I'm very in between on the matter of the human race.Most people see humanity  as all bad or all good,but I feel humans as a whole, are a very grey area.We have done both what we consider "good" and "bad",to say humans have done more good is to undermine the bad. And to say we have done more bad is to undermine the good we have done. 

• 7 years later...
On 2013-10-26 at 4:46 AM, LittleRawr said:

I'll say philanthropic. There are some horrible people, but there are many genuinely nice and caring people as well. 

It feels like everyone just focuses on the bad side of humanity, not the good. 

Same with me.

• 7 months later...