Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I get Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

Slaigh

Help Me Decide!  

31 users have voted

1. 1. I've never played a Fallout Title, and can get only one, which should I get?

• Fallout New Vegas
    • Fallout 3

First off, I apologize if this is a duplicate/horribly generic thread, but I figured a new one would help more than digging up an old thread that may or may not have the same question as me.

Second off, I am a pc gamer, and I will be downloading more than a couple mods. (Though mostly designed to make the game look better, my Skyrim has ~70 mods installed)

Alright, so I have been looking up reviews for both games, however that hasn't been really effective since reviews tend to happen when a game is released, not long after there have been multiple patches. I have heard that  Fallout 3 is straight up amazing and fun to play, and I believe it. I have also heard that New Vegas is very fun, but it doesn't feel any better than 3, nor does it feel like anything more than a large dlc for 3. Would that even affect me since I never played 3? (Similarly, Skyrim was my first/only elder scrolls game, so I think it's amazing, but it was a disappointment to Oblivion players)  Secondly, I keep hearing about how insanely-terribly-awfully bug infested New Vegas is, but again, would this even affect my choice if there are patches (official or unofficial) for the title that fix many of those bugs?

In short, do the facts that I'm new to the series and have access to bug fixes mean that I should just go ahead and get New Vegas instead of 3?

• Brohoof 1

Having played both, I am of the unpopular opinion that out of the two Fallout: New Vegas is the superior game. Gameplay wise they are basically the same but I found the story of New Vegas to be far better than Fallout 3's. I think the reputation system with the different factions is very well done and I felt like I had a big impact on the game world. Both games set up their plots pretty well so new comers will easily understand either. They tell you everything you need to know in order to understand them. They are both great games but I had much more fun with New Vegas.

Also, I never really found the bugs and glitches all that distracting in either game. Then again I know for a fact that I didn't run into the worst of them. Still, I have a tendency to look past them as long as they are not game breaking.

Edited by Armchair Adventurer

Let me explain this to you. Fallout 3 is a game that changed the fallout series forever. It turned the whole thing into a First person/3rd person game. It was amazing to see a game like fallout 2 just switch into such art. New Vegas is not as great to me, since it is so glitchy and weird. It's going to take a lot more time to get used to, while Fallout 3 is simple, yet so advanced at the same time. Also there are some small features that really bug me for each. Fallout 3 and New Vegas both have ends to the story... Course, they also have DLCs. There are AMAZING DLCs to Fallout 3 and some okay ones for New Vegas. Fallout 3 has:

1. Broken Steel. (Raises level cap to 30, continues the story, and makes the game open ended)

2. Operation Anchorage (You do a simulation of the war in Alaska to obtain important items)

3. Point Lookout (You go to a whole second map in Maryland and fight inbred monster and mutated animals)

4. Mothership Zeta (Get taken by aliens and you have to escape from their ship. Also, it is STUFFED with monsters, aliens, and alien weaponry)

and

5. The Pitt (You go undercover at a slave factory in Pittsburg)

Also, Fallout 3 has Swing tunes, man... Can't beat it.

Unforunately, New Vegas's DLCs all feel the same... eerie canyons and factories that you find a few new pieces of equipment and what not. But, like I said, it is NOT open-ended with any of these DLCs, so you'll just end the game eventually, so there is really no point.

• Brohoof 1

i feel like new vegas has a more refined storyline, while fallout 3 has more linear gameplay.

i played (and modded) both on PC, and i must say i found that there where a few more mods for fallout 3, but i only checked the nexus sites so i dunno if i missed a whole lot.

anyway, i would go for new vegas, since it's more refined and has more interesting missions and gameplay.

I am a pc gamer,

by the way. i know this isn't really a good thing to do, nor is it really fair for the game designers, but if you are a Pc gamer, why don't you just buy one fallout, and torrent the other?

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the replies so far!

I honestly had no idea which would get ahead, but actually knowing why people like each game more is immensely helpful!

I like the fact that New Vegas has a reputation system and you can effect the world, but the fact that 3 has good dlc/continuity and open endedness is a good counter. It seems that the quality of storyline is split so far though.. why is this such a tough choice?

by the way. i know this isn't really a good thing to do, nor is it really fair for the game designers, but if you are a Pc gamer, why don't you just buy one fallout, and torrent the other?

You managed to sneak that in right before I asked it in this post! laugh.png  

Though indeed it is unfair, it actually does seem like a pretty viable option... blink.png

why is this such a tough choice?

because the stories form 3 and new vegas are very different.

some like the new vegas one, others like the fallout 3 one. i guess it really is a matter of taste.

personally, i think if you want the game for playability and how long it lasts, i would go for fallout 3.

fallout 3 has a lot of mods that add entire new missions and even maps and areas to the game, adding hundreds of hours of playtime up to the already immense lasting of the vanilla game.

i bought fallout 3 somewhere last year, and i still havn't seen all of it :) especialy with those mods.

Definitely get New Vegas. The DLC is far more interesting and the mods you can get for Vegas are equal in quality to that of Fallout 3.

New Vegas is also a lot more stable and less prone to crashing than Fallout 3 however New Vegas' world is much smaller than Fallout 3's

There are total opposite opinions about storylines here, so my question is how are they different? Is one game particularly darker and more surreal while the other is more hopeful? I understand that you can be good or bad personally, but overall are there different tones between the global storyline? (if that makes any sense? smile.png )

There are total opposite opinions about storylines here, so my question is how are they different? Is one game particularly darker and more surreal while the other is more hopeful? I understand that you can be good or bad personally, but overall are there different tones between the global storyline? (if that makes any sense? smile.png )

The main plot of Fallout New Vegas is a bit of a war story with some politics and personal motivation (well around the beginning anyway) mixed in. It challenges your morals (though Fallout 3 does that pretty well in a few quests as well) and the way you see things in a post apocalyptic world (mostly how life should be lived, how organized should it be and things like that)   I find it a lot more complex and interesting then Fallout 3.  Also it branches really well but all the quest lines hit some main important points. Still, seeing them from very different perspectives is a lot of fun in my opinion.

I don't remember much of Fallout 3's story to be honest so I can't reliably say much about it. Mostly, I just remember running around getting frustrated and disappointed at the end. I haven't had the chance to play the DLC though and as I said I don't remember it all that well.

Fallout 3 is the superior. It was a groundbreaking title and completely revolutionized the series. Theirs a reason it won game of the year awards. I have not played New Vegas though so my opinions on this are biased. Also the DLCs from 3 are amazing. Some problems I have with three though are at the beginning you will be spending ALOT of time walking and also the game does tend to crash on PC.

I myself preferred New Vegas. I just found the overall world, and plot more interesting than that of Fallout 3's. I also prefer the desert environment to the metro-filled wasteland that is DC. My opinion may be a little biased as Fallout New Vegas was my first Fallout game ever, and It'll always have a certain nostalgia to it that Fallout 3 won't.

In the end they're both great games, and I'd highly recommend getting both. If you had to get one though, I'd say go with New Vegas. That's just my opinion though. img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

Fallout 3: Especially the Game of the Year addition with all the DLC.

Vegas is good but its got bugs in it and it tended to crash at lot in my own personal experience which ruined the game for me. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to base my vote on the fact that with great, great strain, I finally made myself complete Fallout 3 a couple years ago, but never did get around to the DLC.

I've never been able to make myself play more than about 8-10 hours of Fallout: New Vegas, so I don't really know. I'll go with 3.

Buy Fallout 3.

Edit: The music is fantastic in them both, however. Maybe just buy/download the soundtracks and listen to them with your eyes closed for an awesome experience!

Edited by Lifeinsteps

Both felt like different games to myself, Fallout 3 was more about a Post-Appocoliptic Feel and New Vegas was more about wars going on shortly after.

Fallout 3 felt more deserted and more of a wasteland and New Vegas was more about the wrecked cities and exploring what was left and such.

I preferred Fallout New Vegas as it felt they picked up what they did wrong and changed it, and the vibe feels so much more for me, even though it's a smaller game.

(Woo~! My shitty explanations.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Since technically Fallout 3 has a near three-fold lead I believe I will start with it, however the sheer amount of New Vegas love shown here makes me think that I'll wind up having to pick it up too at some point in the future! (and something tells me I won't regret getting either!)laugh.png

Edited by Slaigh

and get the sword and stealth suit from the dlc you can play though the rest of the game as a ninja with stealth camoflauge. Power Armour vs power sword + VATS = Zandatsu. xD

Edited by Malinter

I much preferred new Vegas. I loved the NCR and was happy to see them come back. It was a nice change of pace cuz the world saving vault dweller has already been done. Nice to see a glimpse a little further into the future where it basically is a territory war. The weapon modding system is decent enough concept that 3 didn't have and I LOVE the concept that a nuclear war that f*cked the country could only delay Vegas' corruption

It's upto you and both have their strengths and flaws but I vote Vegas.

Ps retro enclave armour in new Vegas is best pony

• Brohoof 1

Fallout New Vegas. It has a more varied World, with a more diverse color palette. My issue with Fallout 3 was that the constantly grey skies and dark land made the game feel so bleak that at times I was less keen to explore it. 

NV has pretty much the exact same game mechanics as Fallout 3 however I feel that the game has been better balanced in terms of the initial stats, for instance I found my character felt way OP by giving him a high speech skill in Fallout 3, in NV it's harder to get a character that can steam roll through the game.

The story, NV has one albeit a basic revenge story that is set up just as a way to give you basic motivation to move from point A to B. F3 does have a great story but it's short you can beat the main campaign in under 10 hours, the rest of the game is side quests, NV has a longer main campaign.

Also NV tweaks the gameplay of F3 to have subtle improvements such as the ability to temporarily improve stats like lockpicking from reading books, although I didn't that particular option it does open up more game to those who want to try that. Lastly health items and buffs can be used far more tactically, they take a few seconds to be fully used. So for instance if you lost 50 health and are going to go into combat, and drink say 10 sapsperallas you will not only recover the health you already lost in a matter of seconds you'll also recover any health you then lose during the battle. Kind of hard to explain but it adds so much more depth to combat, very smart idea. wub.png 

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

I enjoyed both games.  I started on Fallout 3, finished it, then played New Vegas.  I never finished New Vegas because the game glitched, but I had a lot of fun.  I would start on Fallout 3 because the gameplay is less complicated than New Vegas in that New Vegas has a much more complicated crafting system and more kinds of weapons.  However, both games are quite fun.