Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people Hate Sombra but not the Windigos?

Mywas

Well, Its seems that a lot of people in this fandom hate Sombra because he wasn't a "in your face" type of villain like the others(So the writers should just the same type of villain over and over again?) and he is more of a Force of Nature than a person.....Well a pony, But doesn't that remind you of somepony? img-1964841-1-my_little_pony_windigo_vec If anything Sombra did more in the first episode alone than what the windigos in theirs. He defeated shining Armor which was not ruined by side effects like with the Chrysalis Vs Celestia fight. The Windigos just froze three ponies for a while· And that is not counting the traps, Curse, Erasing the crystal ponies memories, Bringing Cadence to the point of near death, Trapping Twilight inside a anti-teleportation crystal trap, Nearly eating spike, And dying with an angry face. So how come Sombra caused a lot of butthurt for being a plot device when so Where the Windigos. I swear its all because he is the first *Normal* Villain so people expected an anti hero when the writers were going for a mortal satan, They should have made him a snake or something.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 2

Sombra was a terribly developed character with no history or legitimate motive. He was forgettable, and to me his design is just awful

The windigoes on the other hand acted more as a force brought on by the disharmony of the pony races. They weren't meant to be the villains, the conflict between the ponies was. The windigoes just fed on that

• Brohoof 11

Sombra was a terribly developed character with no history or legitimate motive. He was forgettable, and to me his design is just awful

The windigoes on the other hand acted more as a force brought on by the disharmony of the pony races. They weren't meant to be the villains, the conflict between the ponies was. The windigoes just fed on that

The eye of Sauron was the same thing. Unless you red the other books you wouldnt know ANYTHING about Saurons motivation or background.

First things first- how many theories are you going to post, What?

Here's the difference- Windigos were ice spirits. They are around because of the disharmony. That's it.

Sombra, however... he was supposed to be huge. I mean, he was the villain of a two-parter, for goodness's sake. He should have had more story to him. But he didn't. And that's why everyone hates him.

First things first- how many theories are you going to post, What?

Here's the difference- Windigos were ice spirits. They are around because of the disharmony. That's it.

Sombra, however... he was supposed to be huge. I mean, he was the villain of a two-parter, for goodness's sake. He should have had more story to him. But he didn't. And that's why everyone hates him.

The eye of Sauron had no story unless you read the other books, Darth Maul had no story besides being a sith lord, The nothing from the never ending story had no story, The Hunters from Bambi had no story. Why nobody hates them?

Because MLP is known to have creative and unique villains. Wombats was a let down compared to the other, more creative villains. If MLP didn't put so much emphasis on three dimensional villains, Sombra wouldn't have gotten the same reaction

• Brohoof 1

Because MLP is known to have creative and unique villains. Wombats was a let down compared to the other, more creative villains. If MLP didn't put so much emphasis on three dimensional villains, Sombra wouldn't have gotten the same reaction

Thats because he was different than the others. He wasn't the main center of the two parter, twilights test was, Not all villains have to be deep, some are Looming threats like Sombra

I think the reason why Sombra is hated more than Windigos is purely for appearance sake. Sombra looks like an OC pony a fanfiction writer made up. Maybe if Sombra started out looking like an average Crystal Pony and then turned into King Sombra, it wouldn't be so bad.

Personally I would have made him a Jafer-like character. He would start out as a high rank Unicorn Crystal Pony but his thirst for power lead to resorting to using untested dark magic in order to accomplish his goals. In the end, the magic corrupted his mind and he became King Sombra.

Edited by windy_prance
  • Brohoof 1

A lot of people seem to hate Sombra because of the following reasons:

• He wasn't that interesting
  • Barely any backstory
  • Was supposed to be villain for a two parter, unlike the windigos who only needed to be there for one episode; and they didn't really seem like a villain. 
  • His design looks like the standard "bad" black and red OC pony.

Now, windigos were only in one episode while King Sombra was in a two parter, which served as the opening two episodes to the season. The Windigos weren't in the opening or ending episode(s) of the series, so they didn't need to be as important as Sombra was supposed to be. The windigos just served as an outside force to the arguing ponies, nothing more. Sombra was supposed to be some extremely dangerous foe but barely did much in both episodes other than be in the background and look menacing. 

I cant sit here and say I hate him.. because I don't... I think they should have given him more time to grow.. on us, maybe do a comic about him or something.

But he just kind of jumped in to the show and then... well kind of died... yeah sorry man.. you are not coming back for what happened to you.. sorry anyway, I love Nightmare Rarity the most so anyway.

Ahh as for winddigos, I ah I feel the same way... like they kind of rushed them they didn't really give us much time for them to grow on us.  

but at the end of the day... Nightmare Rarity is the best.... so blah

I can see your point here, but I do think there are differences between the two. I actually liked Sombra, for the most part. He just died too quickly. I loved the atmosphere surrounding him and the atmosphere he gave almost made him feel like a force of nature, like the Windigos. It was probably the two episode build then instant death t the end that angered many. I can see that, but it was the build up that I personally loved. For that I liked him more than the Wondigoos.

Edited by Kyoshi

Hate here is quite misplaced. In all actuality a lot of the fandom actually liked the idea of a villain like Sombra and even after the Crystal Empire Arc he was incorporated into many lovable comics and fics. On the other hand, fans do feel very disappointed at how Sombra turned out as a villain, due to high expectations. Disappointment is not of course, synonymous w/ hate.

As for the Windigos, they were just supporting characters that advanced a (fictional) plot. They weren't exactly a key villain. The irony is that Sombra is also like the Windigos in this regard since the writers specifically stated that he's more of a plot device for the mane character Twilight than he is an actual villain, which when you think about it he actually did his job well as.

Fans were hoping for an imposing big antagonist like Queen Chrysalis, Discord or Nightmare Moon,but were letdown when they realized King Sombra was so limited and 1 dimensional, in part due to a misplaced expectation that he would be a bigger character but actually wasn't.

• Brohoof 2

The Sauron comparisons are far from apt.

No one really likes Sauron, not in the way they like Darth Vader or Voldemort. Sauron is a non bad guy, bad guy built to fill in the role as the great evil while the story revolves around the real "not him" bad guys. LoTR's real antagonists are the Orcs, the Wraiths, Sarumon, that giant Spider, Trolls, the Easterlings, the Belrog and other such neferious nare do wells. They need to throw the Ring into the fire to stop them.

If Sombra had all that then things might have been different. Instead they built him up but he never provided anything but a black cloud, horn herpes and some Scooby Doo tricks. Basically they tried to create Sauron and they Failed. As for the Wendigoes, everyone ignores them in this fandom. They weren't built up to be the big bad seasonal villain. If Wendigo's were a big bad they would be the subject of ridicule as well.

Next time bring some Orcs smoke boy.

Edited by ALIS
  • Brohoof 4

To easy explain these words for you. Three words.

Wingdigos made by Lauren Faust.

Sombra made by Greedy Hasbro.

I hope you see the differences

Not with standing they were made by the wicked witch of the west.

they really weren't villians.

Didn't they technically punish those who were being dis harmonies?

That and they gave something interesting in a other wise kinda dry episode.

Actually after watching ''A Tale of one Shadow'', it made me gain new respect for the one off foe. Mainly because it actually did give him a back story, and a interesting one to boot. The thought of King Sombra, once being good only to be corrupted by his own greed fascinated me.

• Brohoof 1

Couple of things that made the Windigos work better than King Sombra.

1. No pony knew about the Windigos until the very end, thus it made sense for us to see very little of them.
  2. There was no indication that the Windigos were sentient.  Thus lacking depth it's as much of an issue.

A lot of people seem to hate Sombra because of the following reasons:

• He wasn't that interesting
  • Barely any backstory
  • Was supposed to be villain for a two parter, unlike the windigos who only needed to be there for one episode; and they didn't really seem like a villain. 
  • His design looks like the standard "bad" black and red OC pony.
Now, windigos were only in one episode while King Sombra was in a two parter, which served as the opening two episodes to the season. The Windigos weren't in the opening or ending episode(s) of the series, so they didn't need to be as important as Sombra was supposed to be. The windigos just served as an outside force to the arguing ponies, nothing more. Sombra was supposed to be some extremely dangerous foe but barely did much in both episodes other than be in the background and look menacing.

1)Pretty sure being the master of Dark Magic, Most clever Villain, Strongest Unicorn in history is intresting.

2) Same thing goes for Chrysalis and Discord

3)You see unlike Discord he was not the center of the episode, But Twilight was, had the episode been about him it would been a lot different

4) Never understood why people hate his design, If anything I have seen way worst from this fandom

Also He did not need to do much, His already did stuff in the past enough to cause conflict for the two parters, such as Placing traps, Hiding the crystal Heart, Cursing an empire, Erasing the mind of the crystal ponies. Not to mention that he actually did two three things in the episode, Defeating shining armor, Placing Twilight in an anti magic crystal trap, and nearly killing spike.

• Brohoof 1

I don't hate anything about the show (hard to hate something that's so uplifting) but I will say that Sombra wasn't properly developed. He had and still has potential, but without developing his character further, he is useless. The Windingos felt like they were only supposed be there for one episode because they were only there for one episode. I would never expect them to be developed more or make a come back. Sombra on the other hand might, but who knows.

• Brohoof 1

I don't hate Sombra in the slightest. It's true he wasn't a fully developed character in the show, but that's exactly what I like about him! His lak of a backstory leaves more room for the imagination, it lets you think of what he could have been like in his early years.

Of course this is from a writers stand point, so he might not be as enjoyable to people who strictly watch the show.

Actually after watching ''A Tale of one Shadow'', it made me gain new respect for the one off foe. Mainly because it actually did give him a back story, and a interesting one to boot. The thought of King Sombra, once being good only to be corrupted by his own greed fascinated me.

Hunt down somber meeting on u tube.  He either needs the back story or the personalty.  (both wouldn't hurt).

The windigos again aren't the villians in the story, the ponies them selves are.  You might even see the windigoes as mearly a metaphore for the ruin between the races.

sense clearly the show won't show a battle between the three factions the windigoes are their to show the ruin in a kinder sense.

Though being frozen to death still looks pretty bad.

My best guess is because that was back during season one, before people starting holding the writing staff to such a high standard.

Personally, I like Sombra precisely because he's written the way he is. He pretty much personifies fear of the unknown because there's nothing to identify with, no motives to justify his actions, not witty remarks to endear you to him. He's just pure evil that wants to enslave and destroy for the pleasure of it. He was just a unrelenting force of destruction, like the devil incarnate. He's all the more intimidating because all that.       

Edited by Shoboni

My best guess is because that was back during season one, before people starting holding the writing staff to such a high standard.

Personally, I like Sombra precisely because he's written the way he is. He pretty much personifies nothing is scarier because there's nothing to identify with, no motives to justify his actions, not witty remarks to endear you to him. He's just pure evil that wants to enslave and destroy for the pleasure of it. He was just a unrelenting force of destruction, like the devil incarnate.     

you say tomato, i say tamato.

When you say devil in carnate i think of the movie the Devils advocate.  the Devil is a likeable guy.  I mean why else did he use to be the favorite.

A good villain is someone you secretly in your darkest desires want to see win.

I mean even as the black hat I am i'm not sure why i'd route for sombre.

I can see routing for trixie, NMM, Discord (Duh),

but sombre? 

I don't say meh, but i sure am thinking it.

you say tomato, i say tamato.

When you say devil in carnate i think of the movie the Devils advocate.  the Devil is a likeable guy.  I mean why else did he use to be the favorite.

A good villain is someone you secretly in your darkest desires want to see win.

I mean even as the black hat I am i'm not sure why i'd route for sombre.

I can see routing for trixie, NMM, Discord (Duh),

but sombre? 

I don't say meh, but i sure am thinking it.

That's the point, it takes away from a villain and makes them less scary when you want to root for them. There's a difference between a villain that truly scares you, and one that you just find creepy awesome. The devil himself even has the former effect because you know deep down it's a facade what's inside wants nothing more than to see you suffer for no other reason than you remind him of his own fall from grace. You know that the most horrible act of human depravity you can think of would bring him nothing but pleasure as it played out in front of him.