Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How is Cadence related to Celestia?

UserNotFound

OK so i just read somewhere that Cadence is Celestia's niece... how does that work? Anypony got any ideas about how that works out?

I understand this may be headcanon territory but... I'm confused... :(

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section, i'm still learning

Adopted niece. In the book, "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell", this is what happens:

The book tells the story of Twilight Sparkle after she'd been made an Alicorn and seeks advice on being a princess. She turns to Cadance, who tells her life story, how as a baby Pegasus she was found in the woods by Earth ponies, who took her to their village. When she grew up she reversed a love-stealing spell cast by a pony called Prismia. Prismia wore a magic-enhancing necklace that amplified her evil and jealousy, but when Cadance confronted her, the necklace amplified Cadance's love. Once Prismia changed her horrible ways, Cadance was surrounded by magical energy and transported to a strange place where she met Celestia, who adopted her as her royal niece.

So yeah, they aren't blood related or anything. Keep in mind this isn't 100% canon but generally this is what most people accept.

• Brohoof 2

She's not related by blood at all. Celestia took her in as her niece after she gained an understanding of love so great she transformed in an alicorn. Similar to how Twilight's understanding of friendship changed her.

Blueblood on the other hand is another mystery. we do not know how he came in inherit the title of Prince.

Edited by Malinter

Hmm, I wonder about that too. Blueblood is Celestia's nephew, which is something I'm confused with too. Twilight can't become Celestia's niece, unless she is related to her in any way or related to the royal family.

Celestia may regard her as such already, Twilight definately considered Cadence family (until her wedding made it official).

I think Celestia may never state Twilight as a niece officially as I think she knows Twilight prefers the roles of teacher & student, their was a small worry from twilight that she wouldn't be her student anymore after she tranformed into an alicorn till Celestia reassured her she would but "not in the same way as before."

On blueblood. The only thing I can think of is that Celestia granted one of his ancestors the honorary title of Prince, this will have been passed on down the ages until it was placed on that ingreatful little shitehawk called Blueblood.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

Celestia specifically seems to makes a habit of adopting nieces and nephews for political reasons. It's not that uncommon, historically for the ruler of a nation to create artificial ties to other noble families to cement their support. Look up the term 'fostering'. It's not quite the same as adoption, but adoption is the closest thing that modern western society has to the ancient practice of fostering.

As for Blueblood's title, the most likely scenario here is that Blueblood claims to be the direct-line descendant of the Unicorn King, and Princess Platinum, both of the Hearth's Warming Eve play. Since the Unicornia that they ruled over no longer seems to exist as a separate country, he can't call himself King, but is retaining the title of 'Prince' out of historical precedent.

OK maby theirs prises we don't know about like Cadence could be the daughter of a pony we haven't seen yet well obviously or she could have just fell out of the sky mabey this will all be answered in S4

Edited by lawrence9021

Well it could be a adopted thing. I would say she was probably adopted by Celestia. Though it could be more medievalish were you accept people to be in your "family"

and that's an excellent answer but where does she get off adopting her as a niece?

I mean that just doesn't make any sense.  "i want to be related to you but i want you to be someone elses problem"

I like to think that Celestia and Luna both have a thousand different long-lost family members. Each one of them comes from a different place that isn't marked on the map, like a different country entirely.

and that's an excellent answer but where does she get off adopting her as a niece?

I mean that just doesn't make any sense.  "i want to be related to you but i want you to be someone elses problem"

You're thinking of adoption in a very modern sense. Fostering includes a wide range of things. Nobility used to regularly trade children around in an effort to 'buy' political support. Earl X would take on Duke Y's son as a 'fostering', so that the son would get the experience of living in a higher court and hopefully earn something with his actions that would improve the Duke's standings, while the Earl could then call upon the Duke to support him with additional finances or troops when necessary as the son would effectively be a hostage. The Duke might end up with one of the Earl's daughters in exchange to be raised in a similar way. You may be familiar with the term 'ward', but the terms 'niece/nephew' were used pretty often with this arrangement. The child is *not* the adopted son/daughter as they do not stand to inherit anything, but is still the responsibility of the fostering family and will likely take on a position of authority when they come to age.

A lot of stories make Maid Marion the ward of King John, and modern people assume that means Marion's parents are dead. No, it just means that she was deliberately placed in King John's care, likely to be trained in noble wifely duties by Isabel, John's wife at the time, and to put a blood relative of some aspiring Duke close to the throne.

You're thinking of adoption in a very modern sense. Fostering includes a wide range of things. Nobility used to regularly trade children around in an effort to 'buy' political support. Earl X would take on Duke Y's son as a 'fostering', so that the son would get the experience of living in a higher court and hopefully earn something with his actions that would improve the Duke's standings, while the Earl could then call upon the Duke to support him with additional finances or troops when necessary as the son would effectively be a hostage. The Duke might end up with one of the Earl's daughters in exchange to be raised in a similar way. You may be familiar with the term 'ward', but the terms 'niece/nephew' were used pretty often with this arrangement. The child is *not* the adopted son/daughter as they do not stand to inherit anything, but is still the responsibility of the fostering family and will likely take on a position of authority when they come to age.

A lot of stories make Maid Marion the ward of King John, and modern people assume that means Marion's parents are dead. No, it just means that she was deliberately placed in King John's care, likely to be trained in noble wifely duties by Isabel, John's wife at the time, and to put a blood relative of some aspiring Duke close to the throne.

Okay so the fan base is okay with children being traded around for political influence but no shipping.

that's down right monstrous

But seriously i think people understand that Candice is an orphan, princess celestial didn't need to suck up to Crysal empire they had Sombe bearing down on them.

she could have easily said

"hay you know what I'm not sombre."

Crystal pony response

"She makes a good point."

Hell Queen Chyselias might got away with that same campaign motto "I suck slightly less than sombre. Accept me as your new queen."

I don't have any proof if that would be true or not, but why would Celestial have go through huge loops to impress a people up shits creak with out a paddle.

Okay so the fan base is okay with children being traded around for political influence but no shipping.

that's down right monstrous

I don't have any proof if that would be true or not, but why would Celestial have go through huge loops to impress a people up shits creak with out a paddle.

*shrug* I have no problem with shipping as such. And trading children for fostering was a common thing right up to the 1950's in America. There's nothing monstrous in wanting your child to have the best opportunities in life. Boarding schools are an extension of this practice when certain well-connected families would have more than a dozen of fosters in their care simultaneously. In the case of standard fostering, you know your child is getting individualized attention in their rearing, rather than being one of fifty to five hundred students in a modern boarding school.

In this case, taking on a ward as a niece would not be for the benefit of the Crystal Empire as the Empire was pretty much theoretical at the time. This would be for *Cadence's* benefit, as determined by Celestia.

If you think Canterlot nobility don't play politics, and play it dirty, they you're buying into the utopia a bit too much. Here we have a sudden alicorn show up out of nowhere, apparently a young teen-equivalent at that. The various Dukes, Earls, Graffs, whatever the different ranks are of noble unicorns are going to be slavering to take control of her, and use her alicorn-ness as a pawn in a variety of political gambits all in an effort to increase their own power and influence. By making Cadence her ward but not her adopted daughter, Celestia basically puts her into 'protected' status, while at the same time positioning her for future responsibilities without any kind of promise to relinquish any of Celestia's own authority. Making Cadence her adopted daughter would make Cadence Celestia's official heir, and make her a *huge* target for any grasping politician.