Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

So, I just participated in a thread about banishment to the moon, and my argument was that Luna is different from everypony else, so the same rules might not apply. Then when I read a thread about the Sisters' hair flowing, I just started wondering. Exactly what are the Celestial Sisters? Their past is shrouded in mystery, and they are immortal and godlike.

There are things which separate the sisters from all other alicorns, and ponies in general. Their flowing mane, their birth as alicorns, their immortal status, and influence over nature itself all mark them as unique figures who are almost on a completely separate level from anypony else in Equestria, save Discord. Are they even of the pony race?

Here is what I personally propose. Celestia and Luna seem to be very similar to Greek gods of nature in many respects. I think that Celestia and Luna are most likely spirits of some kind, or represent some type of pony from ages long past. They are tied to Nature, and seem to be in a separate class altogether from anypony else. So, what is the nature of this class of being? Are they gods? Spirits? Where did they come from? How are they related to ponies, if at all? What are your thoughts everpony?

mlp__luna_and_celestia_by_wolfenm-d54uuy

• Brohoof 4

I keep wondering to myself, the same thing. My thoughts on the Celestial sisters themselves is, they are goddesses who's spirits almost intertwine with one another and they share their words of wisdom with their subjects to show them that even if your different you are still able to learn the lesson of friendship. That's what I think.

• Brohoof 1

They do seem akin to the Greek gods, although basically all powerful, they can be deceived and nearly defeated, but never killed. Then perhaps the elements of harmony make the main six like Greek heroes.

However, this may be stretched a little bit far.

• Brohoof 1

They do seem akin to the Greek gods, although basically all powerful, they can be deceived and nearly defeated, but never killed. Then perhaps the elements of harmony make the main six like Greek heroes.

However, this may be stretched a little bit far.

There's no too far in a discussion like this. Although, I would posit that we stick closer to the original topic of the Celestial Sisters.

Well, the question of if they're gods or not has been asked many a time, and it's been said by Lauren herself that they are not gods, spirits or deities in any way, shape or form. So unless the show goes out of their way to directly undo that, I'm more inclined to think that alicorns simply appear to be a rare, superior race of equines with higher capabilities in magic than unicorns or other races. What separates Celestia and Luna from 'normal'-appearing alicorns like Cadence and now Twilight is up for debate. Could be anything from royal heritage to some ancient force choosing them, or maybe they've just used the Elements so many times over the centuries that they've become radiated with friendship that give them OP powers and anime-hair.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

Well, the question of if they're gods or not has been asked many a time, and it's been said by Lauren herself that they are not gods, spirits or deities in any way, shape or form. So unless the show goes out of their way to directly undo that, I'm more inclined to think that alicorns simply appear to be a rare, superior race of equines with higher capabilities in magic than unicorns or other races. What separates Celestia and Luna from 'normal'-appearing alicorns like Cadence and now Twilight is up for debate. Could be anything from royal heritage to some ancient force choosing them, or maybe they've just used the Elements so many times over the centuries that they've become radiated with friendship that give them OP powers and anime-hair.

Then my other thought would be that they are the last remnants of some lost race of ponies that are pure alicorns, born with their powers. Otherwise, we are left with a gaping hole in the continuity.

If we take Hearts Warming Eve as a true historic account and not just a history play, we are left with the idea that the sisters were not yet ruling and may not even have been born yet. I see the sisters taking over raising the sun and moon as a result of an event and we may get more information in season 4 I hope. We also have proof that the mane flowing is linked in someway to power. Luna regains her flowing mane once she recovers from the EOH blast, so I suspect that Cadence and Twilight will have flowing manes at some point too.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a clue about what the producers mean to do with them. But they are my favorite thing about the show, along with the Mane Six and the Elements of Harmony and the Nightmare Moon story is what got me hooked to the show.

I'd prefer if they are kept as "unique" in some way. Because if they are not (and they already hurt this in the Hearth Warming Eve episode), then why are they in power for so long? If they are just two normal ponies that somehow got to their position why aren't other ponies doing the same and why are they revered the way that they are? The ponies make a big deal about Celestia raising the sun and possibly Luna raising the moon. More importantly, I want to know how Equestrian Government works. Because if I was a Canterlot pony, I'd be questioning why are the rulers of the country able to do something reckless like freeing Discord out their whims "because she has uses for his magic", SPECIALLY if they are simply ponies just like me.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see something that sets them apart from the other ponies and I particularly like the "fallible gods" idea. What I don't want to see is "oh... just about anypony could be in their place".

But this is just my opinion. And honestly, knowing TV these days, they are going to nerf down the princesses until they are as absurd as any real world monarch. And worse... Actually replace them...

I don't have a clue about what the producers mean to do with them. But they are my favorite thing about the show, along with the Mane Six and the Elements of Harmony and the Nightmare Moon story is what got me hooked to the show.

I'd prefer if they are kept as "unique" in some way. Because if they are not (and they already hurt this in the Hearth Warming Eve episode), then why are they in power for so long? If they are just two normal ponies that somehow got to their position why aren't other ponies doing the same and why are they revered the way that they are? The ponies make a big deal about Celestia raising the sun and possibly Luna raising the moon. More importantly, I want to know how Equestrian Government works. Because if I was a Canterlot pony, I'd be questioning why are the rulers of the country able to do something reckless like freeing Discord out their whims "because she has uses for his magic", SPECIALLY if they are simply ponies just like me.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see something that sets them apart from the other ponies and I particularly like the "fallible gods" idea. What I don't want to see is "oh... just about anypony could be in their place".

But this is just my opinion. And honestly, knowing TV these days, they are going to nerf down the princesses until they are as absurd as any real world monarch. And worse... Actually replace them...

Well one thing we know is that the current plan is for them to be the only Immortal alicorns. One of the writers noted that Twilight would not outlive her friends, and also noted that there was no intention of making all of the Mane Six into alicorns. I don't have the source, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

I've ben asking myself something like that but the original ones (you might disagree) standed for light and darkness but came, using magic(elements of harmony) in the form of alicorns they had kids (Selestia and Luna), killed by discord, and killed everypony else and then the sisters who oddly survived Turned him to stone and the rest is history...

But this isn't the whole story at all.

and this is my inference and schema.

I can explain that you see, they lied about no Selestia and luna they were there to begin with Luna was on the moon and selestia hid away.

Edited by Equin_Starbeat

Well one thing we know is that the current plan is for them to be the only Immortal alicorns. One of the writers noted that Twilight would not outlive her friends, and also noted that there was no intention of making all of the Mane Six into alicorns. I don't have the source, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

I see you meaning, and I've seen these. Can't remember if it was in a convention or tweets...

But the problem is that unless it happens in on-screen, or is mentioned, it's not canon. And it's not like they have the utmost respect for canonicity.

Honestly, I feel that I'm whining. Well... You asked our thoughts... happy.png

• 4 weeks later...

I think they have either been around since the creation of the land, or been immortalized when they received their "duties".

If we believe everything told in the HWE story, then the sisters shouln't have been around unil the 3 tribes came to Equestria, because it is said that the unicorns used to manipulate the sun and the moon. But if that is true, than when were they actually born, when did they inherit their roles, and most importantly, why didn't they live in Canterlot (which was built by the unicorns), why live in their own castle (which shows no sign of anypony else living there besides the two) in the Everfree forrest if they were elected rulers by the tribes?

So my oppinion is, that they have been living in that castle long before the tribes arived to Equestria, which would mean, that either the unicorns were fooling everypony else about them raising the sun and moon, or the sisters gained control of the 2 celestial objects after the tribes came in from the north.

I don't remember seeing them, but others have said that their appeared to be a village outside the castle in Ep4 1&2. I believe that Canterlot was established after Luna was banished. Why it's mostly Unicorn and why Celestia made her capital city there isn't clear but it could indicate that she was once a unicorn.