Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is It Possible The Princess's Don't Actually Raise The Sun And The Moon?

Denim&Venöm

The thought had occurred to me that Celestia might not raise the sun and Luna might not raise the moon and stars. While both of them are powerful beings, they may just lead the ponies into thinking they could move the sun and moon or have been lead to believe it themselves, and in actuality, the earth orbits the sun and the sun orbits the moon, but the majority of ponies wouldn't know that form their vantage points. 

What do you think? Is it possible that the princess don't have any real control over the sun and moon, and it was jut a ruse to create the demigod like images the Equines know?

• Brohoof 1

Nope, we know from "Hearth's Warming Eve" that in the old days, it took several unicorns to move the Sun and Moon. Even if that were just superstition, why is Nightmare Moon so chatty about eternal night if she can't actually do that?

• Brohoof 5

They probably do have control of the sun and moon, but they do show it in their respective backstories. In Hearths Warming Eve, it took more than one unicorn to move the Sun and Moon.

I would say its posible, but from the season 4 promo, we can say yeah they control the sun. Because it was simultaniously day and night. I'm not talking sun and moon in the sky at once. I mean half of the sky is high noon, and midnight in at the same time. Either equestria has an interesting solar eclipse, or Celestia and Luna had gone missing.

Well one theory about the movement of the sun and stars is that we see in Hearth's Warming Eve how it took the power of all the unicorns to do it. But this was before the reign of Celestia and Luna. The two sisters having alicorn parents isn't canon. For all we know, it could have been some kind of freak gene thing where their father was a pegasus and their mother was a unicorn and something that is so rare, it's only happened twice in Equestrian history happened: alicorns were born. And maybe having both wings and horns gave them immense power and immortality on top of it. Perhaps it was their destinies to raise the sun and moon. And when they found it out, they earned their cutie marks. And when the other ponies learned of it, they immediately decided that Celestia and Luna should rule over them. 

I don't know. This is just some headcanon I threw together in a couple minutes lol 

Edited by Space Woona

Well one theory about the movement of the sun and stars is that we see in Hearth's Warming Eve how it took the power of all the unicorns to do it. But this was before the reign of Celestia and Luna. The two sisters having alicorn parents isn't canon. For all we know, it could have been some kind of freak gene thing where their father was a pegasus and their mother was a unicorn and something that is so rare, it's only happened twice in Equestrian history happened: alicorns were born. And maybe having both wings and horns gave them immense power and immortality on top of it. Perhaps it was their destinies to raise the sun and moon. And when they found it out, they earned their cutie marks. And when the other ponies learned of it, they immediately decided that Celestia and Luna should rule over them. 

I don't know. This is just some headcanon I threw together in a couple minutes lol 

But Luna and Celestia were born at separate times. I find it unlikely that such a freak accident resulting in immortality and omnipotence could happen even once, let alone twice. I definitely wish we knew more about the actual nature of the princesses. They are different from everypony else, and are freed of the limitations and rules which apply to the rest of the inhabitants of Equestria (save Discord).

Their destiny to raise the sun and moon... I would argue that it is not their destiny. It is their duty. Their destiny is more than just carrying out that simple task.

And that's another interesting thought... Did the ponies choose Celestia and Luna as their leaders? Or did the princesses just come out of nowhere and declare themselves? We really need to know more about how Equestrian history played out. We just have scattered events currently. There isn't a clear progression of how it all went down. Hasbro history episode please!

• Brohoof 2

But Luna and Celestia were born at separate times. I find it unlikely that such a freak accident resulting in immortality and omnipotence could happen even once, let alone twice. I definitely wish we knew more about the actual nature of the princesses. They are different from everypony else, and are freed of the limitations and rules which apply to the rest of the inhabitants of Equestria (save Discord).

I'm actually wondering if they are technically twins, and Luna is just a tad younger than Celestia 'officially'. I know twins do this, that they make a big deal over one being slightly younger as my mother is part of a twin set. And given that their current forms appear to be consciously chosen by them and supported by transformational magic(using Luna's change in appearance as a marker), then Luna might be consciously choosing to appear that much younger.

As for whether they raise the sun and the moon, likely what we're seeing is a 'sun' and 'moon' that are reasonably close to the same size as each other, and not the celestial bodies we're familiar with ourselves. If they are in a solar system like what we're familiar with, likely the real 'sun' is too far away and relatively cold, and Celestia's sun is some kind of artificial sun in orbit around the world. There's a lot of hints towards this planet being terraformed (artificial day/night cycles, edible plants only grown by earth ponies, natural weather is considered scary and dangerous, several creatures with a completely different dietary system (dragons, basilisks and possibly diamond dogs all eat aluminum silicate (gems)), so on and so forth).

I had a vague, weird idea, about the Hearth's Warming Eve story being a completely fictionalized account of the ponies travelling through the cold of space to get to 'Equestria'. I'm not sure what to do with this idea yet.

• Brohoof 2

I'm actually wondering if they are technically twins, and Luna is just a tad younger than Celestia 'officially'. I know twins do this, that they make a big deal over one being slightly younger as my mother is part of a twin set. And given that their current forms appear to be consciously chosen by them and supported by transformational magic(using Luna's change in appearance as a marker), then Luna might be consciously choosing to appear that much younger.

As for whether they raise the sun and the moon, likely what we're seeing is a 'sun' and 'moon' that are reasonably close to the same size as each other, and not the celestial bodies we're familiar with ourselves. If they are in a solar system like what we're familiar with, likely the real 'sun' is too far away and relatively cold, and Celestia's sun is some kind of artificial sun in orbit around the world. There's a lot of hints towards this planet being terraformed (artificial day/night cycles, edible plants only grown by earth ponies, natural weather is considered scary and dangerous, several creatures with a completely different dietary system (dragons, basilisks and possibly diamond dogs all eat aluminum silicate (gems)), so on and so forth).

I had a vague, weird idea, about the Hearth's Warming Eve story being a completely fictionalized account of the ponies travelling through the cold of space to get to 'Equestria'. I'm not sure what to do with this idea yet.

Interesting ideas, and not ones that I can disprove. I wouldn't have thought of stuff like that. Nice.

I think we might see more about what actual Nature was like come season 4. I won't talk about any spoilers, but if you know the spoilers, you know what I'm talking about. Things are about to go down in Equestria. I can't wait. 3 weeks is too long.

Of corse they can raise the sun and the moon. We already know in, Hearts Warming Eve, episode that unicorns raised the sun and moon in the old days. We even saw Celestia raise the sun in, Cutie mark chronicles. Another thing is Luna would not care so much for the whole eternal night or thing if she had no real control over it.

And that's another interesting thought... Did the ponies choose Celestia and Luna as their leaders? Or did the princesses just come out of nowhere and declare themselves? We really need to know more about how Equestrian history played out. We just have scattered events currently. There isn't a clear progression of how it all went down. Hasbro history episode please!

I always thought once Celestia and Luna defeated Discord that the ponies just made them leaders after words. But a history episode would be good to clear this up. 

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I think they dont actually move the sun or moon.. but just give them a big 'push' in order to move.. now when Luna didnt lower the moon 1000 years ago, she held it in place. I mean, couldnt Celestia just rose the Sun even if Luna didnt lower the moon and vice versa?

Interesting ideas, and not ones that I can disprove. I wouldn't have thought of stuff like that. Nice.

It's what I do. smile.png

I wish I was a better fiction writer, however. I've got lots of setting development ideas, but reducing the 'scope' down to individual characters and their plots, and the pacing thereof, eludes me.

No, that's not possible, because they do. Ponies seem to have control of everything when I comes to what happens in the sky, and the princesses probably have the most iimportant role of them all in terms of that, being the raising of the sun and the moon. It's just how it works there, no real disputing that fact, I think. ^_^

DARE THEE QUESTION THY PRINCESSES?

Right, so, anyway.

I think they do.  xD  Otherwise, Nightmare Moon wouldn't have been able to create eternal night (or night past it's time thingy).  It would also be too much of a coincidence for them to only believe they do, actually by trying to raise it at the exact time it rises up.  And it does take a while for the sun to go up or down.  Celestia gives it some speed, I believe.

They don't seem to be making them believe it either.  It would seem like a waste of hard work to do that as the unicorns were believed to take brought day and night in the past.

Though, how hilarious would it be if the princesses only thought they were raising it this whole time?

(Wow, okay, what happened to my post xD)

Edited by Feather Gem

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest clue as to what's happening in Equestria every morning is revealed in The Crystal Empire.  Cadence is exhausting herself trying to keep control of the Empire, and as she's fading you can see the "skybox", for lack of a better term" switching over to the view Sombra prefers.   Outside of the Empire, deep winter or arctic snow continues to rage, while the environment inside is preserved by magic.

Celestia and Luna do the same thing.  They aren't controlling the spin or orbit of the planet, or moving a tiny sun and moon.  They're changing the skybox settings.  This is why Celestia can be defeated in battle - she's not a star-breaking diety.  This is why the ponies of Equestria handle local weather manually.  Hell, this is why the sky showed both sun and moon in the sky when the Princesses were indisposed during the season 4 opener.  Nearly everything points to Equestria being a synthetic environment controlled by magic.  I generally view the kingdom as being like the giant set in The Truman Show.

Amusingly enough, the immortality of the princesses is also questionable - Granny Smith pre-dates Ponyville, which Twilight Sparkle implies has been around for "hundreds" of years.  If the total lifespan of a pony is in the range of multiple hundreds of years, Celestia may have only lived through three or four lifetimes.  

• Brohoof 1

Oh I love a good hustle.  So if we found out Celestail and luna were all huff and puff so to speak?
It sure would explain alot.

Celestail losing to a changeling,

celestail not being very hands on,

celestail when she was hands on had to steal the magic of the world to get something done and dare not give it back.

I mean i'm not saying she's useless.  There's a game i've been playing called long live the queen.

If i had to suggest the points celestil has are socail graces.

She has courtly manners (how she's able to deal with canterlots elite in the triple G)

Presense (how ponies feel the need to bow to her)

public speaking,

elegance,

and things of that nature.

but is her magic tricked out?  I find that highly dubious.

Edited by FNGRpony

the real 'sun' is too far away and relatively cold, and Celestia's sun is some kind of artificial sun in orbit around the world.
Here is a crossover-fanfic, that uses similar ideas.

It suggests a possible answer on OP question.

There is a dark yet adorable fanart out there of Twilight crying while tied to a pole, proclaiming science about the planet's orbit and the sun and everything...Trixie, sobbing, tries to help her while other ponies hold her back and Celestia angrily demands she be burnt as a witch.

I wish I could find it now.

What the heck do you call this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDaBa6HUVA0

One of my favorite scenes in the show.  :D

Oh I love a good hustle.  So if we found out Celestail and luna were all huff and puff so to speak?

It sure would explain alot.

Celestail losing to a changeling,

celestail not being very hands on,

celestail when she was hands on had to steal the magic of the world to get something done and dare not give it back.

I mean i'm not saying she's useless.  There's a game i've been playing called long live the queen.

If i had to suggest the points celestil has are socail graces.

She has courtly manners (how she's able to deal with canterlots elite in the triple G)

Presense (how ponies feel the need to bow to her)

public speaking,

elegance,

and things of that nature.

but is her magic tricked out?  I find that highly dubious.

The problem with Celestia is that the things she does don't appear in the show because the show is about the Mane Six. She rules a country and teaches magic. Not unlike what you said.

She just lacks the development Luna had because of Sleepless in Ponyville and Luna Eclipsed. She also suffers from "the writers don't know how to deal with me". She gets used for the "Worf Effect", as a quest giver, moral support, but she NEVER does anything besides raise the sun and look pretty, beyond those. Until now, she doesn't seem to have any unique abilities, like Luna's "Dreamwalk".

Well, I hope we will see something that makes it worth for the ponies to keep her in power for so long besides "she must be a really good leader, most of the time".

• Brohoof 1

I just wrote my oppinion on this in another topic:

A: they have been around since the creation of the planet, and done their stuff since, or

B: they have inherited the power to spin the planet and make the moon orbit it from some predecessor(s).

but I also like the idea of Mycroftxxx, about the "skybox" thingy :)

They were Princesses before the defeat of Discord. They my have not been the de-facto leaders then but you bet they were afterwards.

It certainly could be possible. Kinda like the dinosaurs from Land Before Time who actually thought they were preventing the eclipse by stretching their necks and closing their eyes.

Silly, ignorant beasts...

• Brohoof 1