Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Happy being single?

Discolt

It's not society's expectations for people to be in relationships that is the problem; the problem is that the pursuit of love and dating has become more difficult of a task than it was for our previous generations. The average age for men to get married is roughly 26 years old according to recent statistics. People of this generation are straying further away from the idea of marriage and committed relationships; I personally blame consumerism and the change in our culture's attitude (e.g., "it's all about me," "no rush to grow up," "I have to go to college for 4-5 years, get a B.A., and then land a corporate job before I can even begin to think about getting into a committed relationship" are just a few examples of this change in attitude). It's quite sad to see this decline occur within our society. It's no wonder why people are feeling more lonely and desperate these days.

Rant over.

Absolutely right. People are too materialistic nowadays and forget about what really matters. A prosperous life doesn't mean shit if you're lonely all the time.

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

Absolutely right. People are too materialistic nowadays and forget about what really matters. A prosperous life doesn't mean shit if you're lonely all the time.

Then it sucks that I'll have no choice :( I'm not a materialistic person at all, but once I move immense wealth is all I'll have...-_-

• Brohoof 1

It's not society's expectations for people to be in relationships that is the problem; the problem is that the pursuit of love and dating has become more difficult of a task than it was for our previous generations. The average age for men to get married is roughly 26 years old according to recent statistics. People of this generation are straying further away from the idea of marriage and committed relationships; I personally blame consumerism and the change in our culture's attitude (e.g., "it's all about me," "no rush to grow up," "I have to go to college for 4-5 years, get a B.A., and then land a corporate job before I can even begin to think about getting into a committed relationship" are just a few examples of this change in attitude). It's quite sad to see this decline occur within our society. It's no wonder why people are feeling more lonely and desperate these days.

Rant over.

That's why I'm not gonna allow college to get in the way of my desire to connect whether it be with close friendship or love. To make things worse, people who don't understand some of the side effects of my disability are gonna tell me "College is awesome! You'll make new friends blah blah blah" when in reality, my disability makes it hard for me to do that. To top it off, I was in a high school where most people understood me well and now I'm in a community college, I find it hard to trust anyone around. Every morning I wake up with a crappy feeling even if the day doesn't turn out to be bad. Luckily, I have my family and hopefully more people left to trust.

Rant over.

Yes I'm single and tbh yes I am actually very happy being single. If you had asked me a few months ago how I felt about being single, I would've said that I hated it and wanted to be in a relationship. But the more I think about having a boyfriend or even more so, having a husband someday (because whenever I do eventually get in a relationship I want it to be serious and for that relationship to have the potential for marriage.

So the more I think about being in a serious relationship, the more I think about how much commitment it is and though I'm not really scared of commitment, commitment is fine, I know that at this point in time, there's a lot of things I want to do in my life before I get married and have kids. I'd like to travel and be a camp counselor for a few years, get my license and eventually get a car, maybe get my own apartment at some point. I currently volunteer at an after school care program and I really want to be there for as long as I can. As well as do other volunteer work, I want to volunteer at an animal shelter at some point in my life because I really love animals.

Not that being in a relationship means that you can't do these things because you totally can but, whenever you're in a relationship and you have to worry about spending time with your partner as well as money, problems you may be having etc, it makes it a lot harder (especially in marriage). And even though you can do these things with your partner, I'd like to do these things on my own as well as with someone. I really want to be able to do all that I can do while I can.

Singlehood is beautiful people, don't hate it, love it, embrace, take advance of it, enjoy it. It really is a great thing and while a relationship may be amazing, being single is too.

Yes I'm single and tbh yes I am actually very happy being single. If you had asked me a few months ago how I felt about being single, I would've said that I hated it and wanted to be in a relationship. But the more I think about having a boyfriend or even more so, having a husband someday (because whenever I do eventually get in a relationship I want it to be serious and for that relationship to have the potential for marriage.

So the more I think about being in a serious relationship, the more I think about how much commitment it is and though I'm not really scared of commitment, commitment is fine, I know that at this point in time, there's a lot of things I want to do in my life before I get married and have kids. I'd like to travel and be a camp counselor for a few years, get my license and eventually get a car, maybe get my own apartment at some point. I currently volunteer at an after school care program and I really want to be there for as long as I can. As well as do other volunteer work, I want to volunteer at an animal shelter at some point in my life because I really love animals.

Not that being in a relationship means that you can't do these things because you totally can but, whenever you're in a relationship and you have to worry about spending time with your partner as well as money, problems you may be having etc, it makes it a lot harder (especially in marriage). And even though you can do these things with your partner, I'd like to do these things on my own as well as with someone. I really want to be able to do all that I can do while I can.

Singlehood is beautiful people, don't hate it, love it, embrace, take advance of it, enjoy it. It really is a great thing and while a relationship may be amazing, being single is too.

I used to be really happy as a single myself, but here's the problem. I didn't know what being in love actually felt like by then. I had friends I had my mom, I never thought a boyfriend would be necessary.....

But now that I know what being in a relationship is like being single just isn't the same :( Also when I move and get to do all the things I want to do, I'll be alone -_- I'll have wealth, my own place, opportunities to improve and learn about life....but I won't have family and friends probably not for a long time.....so I will most definitely miss the happiness I felt with my partner :( It's unlike anything I've felt before and I miss it like hell -_-

So if I could miraculously have my mom and friends back I'll be happy, but since that won't happen, I'll have alot of money and dreams with no one to share them with :(

I'm happy, but not happy. I am content with life. But I would like to enjoy life, not just video games. I get lonely, and have bouts of occasional depression, and it doesn't help that I'm a nerd with a weird tic and an unattractive body.

• Brohoof 1

I am not single but I was happy when I was, and I'm happy now that I am in a relationship!
The way I think is if you can't be happy being on your own, how can you possibly be truly happy with someone else?
It's the same about loving yourself! How can you love a another and truly do so if you can't love yourself.

I'm seeing a lot of single/relationship threads popping up. Like, 'How do I meet/talk to girls?' and 'How do I get out of the friendzone?'.

Here's my advice:
Be yourself and if things are meant to be, they will be. It's cliché and sounds dumb but it's true!
You'll meet the right people when you need to, but when you do meet people, don't wear a mask. Be yourself.

Pretending to be something you're not will not only hurt you, it'll hurt the people around you and your relationships with them.
Loving yourself and being yourself and keeping your individuality is the most important thing. If you lose yourself, what do you have left? I can not stress how important it is to value yourself as a person, because believe it or not, you are awesome. No matter what others have said to you in the past at any stage, you're awesome and you're someone worth knowing.

If you're in 'the friend zone' just be grateful you are apart of this persons life. If you keep trying to push it, you could destroy a friendship and in a world full of hateful people and misfortune, you need all the good friend you can get. And maybe you'll find out that you appreciate the friendship more then you would a romantic relationship. And sometimes, with time, it does happen and you'll be seen as a potential partner. But if you try and force yourself through this persons wall, you'll only hurt yourself. A lot of the time though, through my personal experience, if someone says they're not interested, they aren't. They're not toying with you. And if they start to, that's not someone you want any contact with.
If someone not interested, don't let yourself get hurt constantly pursuing something that's not going to happen.
Friends are more valuable then lovers. And someday, you'll be lucky enough that your lover, is also a trustworthy, valuable friend. Maybe even your best friend. But don't push it. Something that special is worth waiting for.

Love always comes at a time most unexpected..

Edited by Pixie Doodle
  • Brohoof 2

I'm currently single and i'm fine with that. If i must get a date, i'll only go out with someone college years and later, and they must be really amazing. I suppose i'm picky.

• Brohoof 1

Even though I'm not single;I'm happy either way! I don't need a guy to make me happy! B) I make myself happy XD

It's nice to have a boyfriend. It's someone to make you smile.

But then again, it's also fun to be single at times too, to just be with your friends and be independent! Yep, I'm happy either way! :)

• Brohoof 1

I am single by choice. Many people wanted to date me in these past few months I've been single, but I am very happy being single at the moment. I don't need any guys right now, high school, and being a girl, is already stressful as is.

• Brohoof 3

I have been in a few relationships, and I always seem to get hurt. I haven't been in one now in about 8yrs. cause I haven't wanted to, but its been a while now, and I tell myself that if I find someone then I will give it a try.