Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP is not about sexuality

~Fluttershy~

how come they think watching sweaty muscular scantily clad men groping each other isn't gay, but watching MLP is?

And it is not just wrestling either, in baseball men actually grab each others asses, In football men tackle and hold each other down against their will, in basketball men dribble their balls everywhere. And lastly men smash their sticks together in hockey, come on the fact that the word "puck" sounds a lot like well you know can't be just a coincidence. Seriously though it just goes to show how you can make anything sound dirty if you take it out of context.

I've been gay long before MLP:FiM was around.Though I've had the odd hater comment saying "You like ponies? Are you gay?" Like the troll I can be,I say "Yea, so what?"This is mostly online for Xbox too. Otherwise, I don't really get any hate about it.

Yes I'm gay, Yes I'm a brony. so what? What's it to you?People that comment on you have to be gay to like MLP, must be insecure about their masculinity....(as it's mostly/usually guys saying this sort of stuff)

i would totally blamed the show just to see his reaction. 

Yeah, I'll never understand people nowadays where your sexuality can now be judged depending on what you like or watch like MLP.

Don't let that stuff get to ya, everyone has their own preference, and most of us like MLP, which set the standards that a little girls cartoon can be more than just what you think it is.

It's a typical stereotype determined by society. Watching a television show absolutely has no effect on your sexual orientation. I mean... I'm still straight.

It is funny to hear their ridiculous comments, though. Kind of amusing.

Edited by Twi Rubix
  • Brohoof 3

If I may, I'd like to purport that the perception of watching, or even enjoying the series as being "gay" (not literally homosexual) is slightly incorrect. Instead, I believe it's the manner in which it is lauded, coveted and defended that brings about the accusations, insults and "faggot" being thrown about more than at a PRIDE parade. The enjoyment of something feminine, in this case Friendship is Magic isn't the attack on/lack of masculinity but rather the beta-masculinity that, unfortunately, seems all too common.

(For the sake of brevity, I'd like to sate that when I use the term masculinity it is done so in the sense of separating boyhood from manhood and not bare-chested testosterone poisoning, no matter how awesome.)

An inability to accept criticism. An unwillingness to accept that others don't accept our subjective taste in toons. A woeful lack in number of those willing to step up to the plate in a mature manner and be okay with leaving their interest as an interest and not as the driving force of their personality. I see the series as a children's fair in a park, open for all to enjoy, but a great many of us are all too willing to claim all of the festivities as their own in spite of those with little recourse.

Assaults on another's sexuality, mostly though "gay" and "faggot" have long evolved from a direct slur to homosexual men. The roots are still there, obviously, but those that resort to this ammunition aren't insisting that you're gay for watching the show or being part of the fandom.

They're insulting one's lack of masculinity. That the insulted is less of a man. Unfortunately, given the manner as to how a vocal portion of our fandom acts, I cannot with all honesty intact, say that questioning the overall masculinity is not unwarranted sometimes.

@, No matter how hard you try, I won't fall for transparent tricks. By attempting to cutely justify the haters' actions, you only perpetuate the mindset to haters and anti-bronies that liking a product with a feminist mentality and "girly" history means they can throw around garbage that can get them sent to jail in various countries.

Unfortunately, given the manner as to how a vocal portion of our fandom acts, I cannot with all honesty intact, say that questioning the overall masculinity is not unwarranted sometimes.

And once more, you're defending the indefensible. The fandom is passionate, and there are portions of the fandom who love the show. Regardless, that still doesn't give haters the right nor privilege to sling LGBT slurs and personally attack bronies (or anyone, for that matter).

Do you know why so many millions of people keep many parts of their lives, from orientation to genuine gender identity to a passion for products, in the closet? Because of not just the disgusting LGBT-hate mentality, but the just-as-equal disgusting justification of it, too. By defending them and giving them "reasons" to bully people, you contribute to the problem.

There's no excuse for homophobia. Ever.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

There's no excuse for homophobia. Ever.

I've read your entire post and I agree with it, despite the fact I've done such a poor job of explaining myself in a medium that gives me all the time in the world to do so. Please, under no circumstances, believe I am a homophobe. I'm a contributor to both GLAAD and PFLAG. I lost one of my better paying jobs supporting the defeat of Prop 8. If you were to cut me, I'd bleed rainbow.

What I  talk about isn't masculinity versus femininity, but what boys step into from boyhood to manhood. I firmly believe Friendship is Magic touches on many, many important values that all boys and men should look up to. But my argument is that the vocal portion of the fandom I mentioned before has this distinct habit of not recognizing this and acts in a manner wholly unbefitting of men. 

Edit: There's actually a better representation of what I mean in Gender and Sexuality Shouldn't Matter in the Debate section. Unfortunately the thread was moved there and my post count is too low to follow my own posts anymore.

Edited by Shino

Lol, I don't give a shit if people call me gay or somethin'.

I'm bi, so they're half right. xD

But yeah. Liking a TV show doesn't define your friggin sexuality.

I think people mostly say this because many these days are strict to gender roles. They see ponies and they automatically think it's for girls, and say that men not only shouldn't, but can't like it. Which is very silly if you ask me. People are just learning to be more comfortable with themselves and less strict to "girl stuff" and "boy stuff". It's the same as girls playing with army men, or riding motorcycles IMO. People just enjoy what they enjoy, gender and sexuality have nothing to do with it.

The whole argument is dumb, because not only is it that watching something isn't going to make you gay or anything, but it seems like people even confuse "Gay" with feminine habits or behaviors, you can be gay and still be into all kinds of manly stuff, and vis versa. There isn't correlation between sexuality and MLP.

Its just something that has become so common in society to say to a guy if they're doing or acting in a way that seems to feminine to the normal.

Plus a show isn't really going to just randomly change your sexuality. 

I'm a heterosexual male, and i still like girls after watching MLP, why people think that would change after watching MLP? I have no idea frankly.

Again, the meaning behind the word "Gay" has simply become so distorted it hardly means anything anymore.

I don't think it determines your orientation at all. I think bronies are at least a little more in touch with their feminine sides, but that doesn't mean you sway one way or the other. In fact, I think everyone needs to be in touch with both their feminine and masculine natures in order to be a balanced person.

Common statement: "MLP is gay!"

My response: "The vast majority of the cast is female. Therefore, if MLP is gay, it's a show filled with lesbians. You don't like lesbians? You're gay. *shades, moonwalks away*"

Best just to ignore it. People who say that are trolls usually and reacting only makes it worse. Those who really mean it just need time and understanding. Homophobes aren't bad people, unless they resort to violence.

Edited by KatieHooves

I can't blame other people for thinking that though. I mean My little Pony is a weird subject to like. Especially if you are a guy. But like a lot of past-bronies. And a popular phrase. "Don't knock it until you try it." Is usually what brings people into the fandom. I guess people don't watch it because it somehow does not make them a man...? 

@, That's still no excuse. You gave brony haters justification for throwing disgusting LGBT slurs by "targeting masculinity." Being a brony means being a fan of any part of the FIM product, be it the show, comics, and/or toyline. Not everyone cares to follow the morals nor values. They just want to follow the product. If they'll follow the morals and values, they'll do so on their own terms.

Your previous post and last paragraph in particular implies that the brony haters are justified to bully bronies simply for watching a pro-feminist, family-family product with a past of poor quality by masking it as "attacking 'faux-masculinity'" via anti-LGBT garbage, and though your long-winded answer, you continued the transparent justification here:

But my argument is that the vocal portion of the fandom I mentioned before has this distinct habit of not recognizing this and acts in a manner wholly unbefitting of men.

Don't give brony haters any excuses.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Well its a good thing i never care about what other people think of me (Including Parents)

Most of my top favorite shows are Sailor Moon, Lucky Star, azumanga daioh, Magical Girl Nanoha, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slayers and now MLP  :squee:

Of course i like the other popular stuff as well by just making a point, i'm 31 years old and i still love shows like this i been married had a kid and i lived a normal life, i got plenty of friends that are homosexual and dont like any of the stuff i like, most of them are in to action stuff most of all.

Its all on the eye of the beholder, what i like other people do not, and im happy whit that, cause if everybody like the same thing i did it will be a very boring conversation, in the other hand having something in difference whit someone else makes for very interesting conversations first and for most, of course if you sorround yourself whit open minded people otherwise you get to be call GAY and what not  :lol:

Edited by Dark Heart