Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sweetie Belle least develop crusader? Help me understand her better.

Never2muchpinkie

So this is really bugging me. Speech incoming. You were warned. derpy_emoticon1.png

In terms of the three CMC, Sweetie Belle gives me the most difficulty in painting a personality. I have two fanfics in progress, one focusing on Applebloom/Applejack as well as AB/Diamond Tiara, and another focusing on Scootaloo/Rainbow Dash. With canon and fanon their issues are pretty clear and easy to revolve around a story. The basis of any story needs a conflict and have the characters deal with that conflict to be interesting and pull the reader in.

While all three get attacked, Applebloom is the main focus of DT and SS's bullying. There is also her not having parents as well as her sisterly relationship. Scootaloo has her fierce desire to be accepted by her idol Rainbow Dash, along with the fanon that she's an orphan/can't fly.  Sweetie Belle only has her occassional spats with Rarity. Although I don't know if this is a common opinion, I read on one site that some people believe she has an abusive homelife because of the way she reacted when Applejack jumped at Applebloom, seemingly to attack Applebloom because her sister spilled grape juice on her.

In terms of speaking/thoughts, there are things you can do with a character where, without any other context, you can name that character right off the bat. For Applebloom it's her southern drawl. For Scootaloo you can throw in a fangirl Rainbow Dash comment or a tough girl act. I can't think of anything distinct for Sweetie Belle.

In terms of personality, all three have an idolization for their sisters. Applebloom is the one most bothered by her lack of cutie mark, given their bowling trip where Sweetie said she still had fun and Scootaloo said it was just a cutie mark.   Scootaloo has her scooter, trying to pull off tricks to look cool and being a tomboy Rainbow Dash fanatic.

Really, in terms of the three, Sweetie Belle is my favorite in the show, because she's just so adorable, has an amazing singing voice. But trying to write her as a character, I just can't think of anything to write about with her. Outside of arguments with Rarity, she really doesn't have any conflicts to resolve. Maybe it's oversimplifying, but her general role in the CMC is basically to react to things and, well, be a sweetie. It's like her only real purpose there is to be cute and adorable and not much else. She's usually the happiest of the CMC, and really, without Rarity, she tends to only get upset along WITH the others, not by herself.

Really, I'm curious, outside of a Rarity match-up, what is it that people write about with Sweetie Belle? What problems do they give her to overcome, because really she's got me at a loss.

Edited by Never2muchpinkie
  • Brohoof 1

I think that all three of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, are developed equally but the only problem besides her relationship with Rarity could probably be her social life at school when Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon constantly pick on her and her friends since that is how generic bullies always handle their problems. So, that's about it.

Sweetie Belle is a less Shy Fluttershy in Filly form. Well more active and reacts better but thats about it.

her relation ship with Rarity is Intresting yet not as intresting the AB/AJ or Scootaloo/RD. And she doesn't get that much picked on by Diamond Tiara and SS, While Apple Bloom had a lot of one on one interaction with Diamond and Scootaloo is gonna get one in S4. yet Sweetie has yet to get picked on personaly and have that as the plot of an episode.

What I am saying is......WE NEED MORE SWEETIE EPISODES

I agree. Sweetie Belle's conflict with Rarity was easily fixed in a single episode whereas Applebloom and Scootaloo's problems are often continued in later episodes of the show. At least that's what I've noticed. She does need more episodes

What?

if you want a mover developed sweet bell go watch friend ship is witch craft.  ^^.  I mean seriously she's the best thing on that show.

You know, I've commented on at least in principle I liked apple bloom the best for being the most lovable loser.

But i mean if i had to fess up,

I'm kind fond of mini rarity lol.  Sure she could use more but that's most ponies on the show.

She's got sas, she's comical, she's adorable.
Maybe that's enough.

Perhaps you could develop the fact that everypony wants to hear Sweetie Belle singing but she doesn't really like singing in public.

There would also be that question : Why does Sweetie Belle stays with her sister instead of living at her parents' ? Because her big sister is pretty young and should normally have better things to do than keep an eye on her, so why did Sweetie Belle want to stay/leave with Rarity ? And why did the big sister accept, knowing it wouldn't be easy to have a little sister at home with no parents.

I think Sweetie Belle is also the most reasonable pony in the CMC.

Being that Sweetie Belle is the most genial of the Crusaders, she is the least likely to get into trouble, which is probably why it's hard to put her into a situation of conflict. Often it is Sweetie who acts as the voice of reason of the three Crusaders. After all, she was the first of the three to voice concern abut the Gabby Gums newspaper column. In Stare Master, she is the one who tells AB and Scootaloo to quit arguing. Sweetie Belle also urged her friends multiple times that they should tell Applejack about Babs Seed's bullying, something Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were much more reluctant to do out of fear of being a snitch.

As for speech, Sweetie Belle has been shown to be a little bit slower at comprehending situations at hand, and because of that, she has a tendency to make remarks like "Um, yeah! What they said." There's also the fact that her voice tends to crack when she gets excited.

Sweetie Belle has her songwriting, which in all honesty, is just as interesting as Scootaloo's scooter riding or Apple Bloom's many hobbies. She also tends to try to mold herself to be more like Rarity, which is similar to Scootaloo's hero-worship of Rainbow Dash. SB has tried to make clothes and props like her sister Rarity, and she's even tried to talk like Rarity.

I'm not a fanfic writer, and I can see where writing a Sweetie Belle story might be more difficult than writing a story for the other two. Sweetie Belle seems to be very curious and energetic, perhaps you could find a way to put her into trouble through that?

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 3

Perhaps you could develop the fact that everypony wants to hear Sweetie Belle singing but she doesn't really like singing in public.

There would also be that question : Why does Sweetie Belle stays with her sister instead of living at her parents' ? Because her big sister is pretty young and should normally have better things to do than keep an eye on her, so why did Sweetie Belle want to stay/leave with Rarity ? And why did the big sister accept, knowing it wouldn't be easy to have a little sister at home with no parents.

I think Sweetie Belle is also the most reasonable pony in the CMC.

Sweetie Belle DOES live with her parents. Remember in Sisterhooves social where it was stated that Sweetie Belle was due to stay there for a week, and Rarity started panicking? Add that to the fact that she brought a million things over. Why would she bring so much over if she already lived with Rarity?

And if that isn't enough for you then just look at one bad apple. It's a bit easy to miss, but right after Sweetie Belle's infamous 'tea kettle' crying, it shoots to the outside of a house with her dad outside fishing, then to the inside where we can see Sweetie Belle's room. And it definitely isn't Rarity's place, as we see from 'Green isn't your color' that she lives at her boutique.

640px-Sweetie_Belle_house_ext_S3E4.png

640px-Apple_Bloom_%27That_Babs%27_S3E4.p

Yeah, she has had some development with her sister I guess but that's about it. I guess she could use more episodes focused around her and whatnot, but for the most part she's just there to be a part of the crusaders(and come up with some of their crazier schemes) and just be adorable, but when you're the cutest thing ever, what's wrong with that? I mean, the little fillies all have their share of cute moments, but someone has to be the cutest. ;)

Okay, maybe that's just my opinion, but yeah, I believe for the most part the CMC develop alongside each other, sometimes having their own moments to shine, and Sweetie Belle is no exception.

• Brohoof 1

If you ask me, Sweetie Belle is getting a lot of development in the show more than Scootaloo is. Sweetie Belle, in the first season did not seem like a very confident pony. She never wanted to sing in front of anypony. But, in season 2 and 3 she seems to be getting used to it more and more.

I never thought SB, lived in a abusive house hold. Her parents seem very supportive. Letting her try anything and just saying good job. Even if she fails.

At times it even seems like SB, does not care about the cutie mark. She just seems like the one who is fine having fun with her friends and looks on the brit side of life.

Don't know if that helps. But that is what I see in SB a lot of times. 

Sweetie Belle DOES live with her parents. Remember in Sisterhooves social where it was stated that Sweetie Belle was due to stay there for a week, and Rarity started panicking? Add that to the fact that she brought a million things over. Why would she bring so much over if she already lived with Rarity? And if that isn't enough for you then just look at one bad apple. It's a bit easy to miss, but right after Sweetie Belle's infamous 'tea kettle' crying, it shoots to the outside of a house with her dad outside fishing, then to the inside where we can see Sweetie Belle's room. And it definitely isn't Rarity's place, as we see from 'Green isn't your color' that she lives at her boutique.

Right, just pretend I didn't say anything. mellow.png

And that explains why the Rarity/Sweetie Belle relationship problem has been solved in one episode, so I think Rarity kept the "don't touch my stuff" with Sweetie Belle but there is no other episode (if I'm not saying stupid stuff again) about the two sister's relationship.