Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Pinkie Pie related to Discord?

Envoy-in-exile

My friend and I spoke last night about villainous characters who have been "domesticated" by the fandom, and Discord eventually came up in our discussion. I'm rather laissez-faire about how fans interpret characters so long as they don't confuse their fanon with established canon and force it upon everyone else as a result; with respect to Discord, though, it's a bit disturbing that he is domesticated and then paired with another character, usually Pinkie Pie. I understand Discord is comically villainous---he never takes a life on screen, and he is incredibly charismatic as well as a cosmic trickster---but he is pretty thoroughly evil. It's like making The Joker a nice fellow when it is clear that he is ultimately murderous and psychotic. I understand why it happens, but it can be unsettling on occasion.

I have no reason to believe Pinkie would ever trust such a monster, let alone become romantically involved with him. I doubt Discord even possesses the compassion or emotional ability (i.e., empathy) in order to love somepony. I suppose the tone of the show helps obscure that difficulty.

I apologize for a mini-rant. I don't mean to derail the thread.

I had never thought about it that way. I never would have imagined the Discord/Pinkie ship, but when I came across it I first found it funny then cute. I had perceived Discord as someone that did what he did out of nothing more than boredom but with no real evil intentions behind it. Now that you mention it, though, I see what you mean. Then I remember the words associated with him that Cheerilee deemed correct - "confusion, evil, chaos" ~ "Discord: a lack of harmony."

Hmm. Congratulations, something you posted online changed someone's mind and made her think a bit deeper :)

But if Discord weren't actually evil/representative of disharmony, I would think it a cute/unique ship ^^; Too bad he's evil and interested in disharmony :P

• Brohoof 1

The thing is, Discord laughs for all the reasons that Pinkie hates. He laughs at others' pain, fear, and depression while Pinkie loves to laugh with other people after doing something silly or just being her generally bubbly, sweet natured self.