Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is "Spike purple" a particularly "girly" color?

Pat.Rio.T.

So my older brother(not a brony) says that one of the problems that he has with the show is the fact that they do not have a problem with using "girly" colors on the male characters...img-1983271-1-huh.png img-1983271-2-msg-8308-0-76652000-138291

Soooo anyways, I said that I don't think that there are any male characters AT ALL that have ANY "girly" colors even associated with them.

And he says "Well what about Spike, he's purple!"

I said that purple is not necessarily a girly color, I mean after all purple is the national symbol for royalty. On top of that many villains use purple in their color scheme.

And he retorts "But those are different shades of purple, an Spike is...sort of a neon purple which IS a "girly" shade of purple!"

img-1983271-3-KUbAnTY.png

So I would like your opinion. What do you think? Is Spike a "girly" color?

Edited by Pat.Rio.T.
  • Brohoof 5

So I would like your opinion. What do you think? Is Spike a "girly" color?

I don't think Spike is technically a color xD

Though seriously in my opinion there is no color thats really girly Purple happens to be one of my favorite colors and spike is awesome so I really don't think that spikes color is really girly, but then again i'm not a color expert

I would say that purple is associated as a girly color. Honestly, though how are some colors "girly"? I mean colors are colors. It makes no sense when you really think about it.

I know there are lots of guys whose favorite color is purple, too. Its the second most popular color in the world, right behind green.

• Brohoof 2

First off I don't believe in the whole "guy colors/girl colors" thing because it's always changing. Pink used to be a manly color, now look at it. Anyways, here are some reason on why purple is an awesome color that's totally not girly

• Mace Windu's lightsaber was purple, and he was awesome!
  • Grape flavored drinks and candies are the best! These are usually purple colored.
  • Purple is the color of royalty
  • Twilight Sparkle is purple, and she's one badass pony!
  • hOnK HoNk hOnK (Gamzee!)
  • My state's football team the Vikings uses purple as a team color. (Purple/yellow)

Spike's scales aren't a girly color, they're actually a rather decent color. Purple is my favorite color too, so I think Spike looks awesome! Also I'll say it again. I don't believe colors apply to genders.

Also...Spike is best pony!

Edited by Seibutsu Akuma
  • Brohoof 8

Girly? lolwut derpy_emoticon1.png

I don't see how a color can have a 'girly' or 'manly' shade. Anyway, colors have kind of lost their feminine/masculine meanings lately. How many guys you see walking around in neon pink t-shirts? A lot.

Also, my favorite color has been purple for a long time, and I'm a dude.

Edited by CombustibleSoda
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

why does this really matter isn't my little pony intended for little girls therefore it will have "girly colors" i don't see the problem

I just wanted peoples opinion that's all. I don't really care weather it's a "girly" color or not. People discuss many things that aren't even relevant. 

Sorry I don't know if that came out right.

Edited by Pat.Rio.T.

Purple isn't a girly color, because a color does not identify whether all girls like it or if all boys like it. Colors don't have a meaning to feminine or masculine at all, and besides it doesn't matter. So, ''Spike purple'' is not a girly color.

I just wanted peoples opinion that's all. I don't really care weather it's a "girly color or not. People discuss many things that aren't even relevant. 

Sorry I don't know if that came out right.

its fine i was just stating an opinion if there is such thing sd s girly color im sure mlp would have them thats what i was trying to say

The shade that Spike is is not feminine. Weirdly, darker purple is associated more with girls.

frieza.jpg

This guy is not a girl, but is often mistaken for it due to his colors

just an of topic funfact frieza's voice actor was a girl and also the battle with frieza is still the longest anime battle in anime history

Spike and Twilight's purple both remind me of another Hasbro character:  The Decepticon known as Shockwave and there's nothing girly about him.  ;p

• Brohoof 1

just an of topic funfact frieza's voice actor was a girl and also the battle with frieza is still the longest anime battle in anime history

Only in the old dub is Frieza's voice actor a girl, in the Japanese and Kai dub they get him right. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPxo0S44iM 

Best Frieza voice ever but he still sounds very feminine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As2Ir3X5lSM

Japanese is also feminine but slightly less refined. On topic, DBZ has villains have girly colors like Pink and Purple yet it's not bad

• Brohoof 1

Oh the amount of arguments i can make against that statement.

First of all.. purple isn't a "Girly color" thats all perception, gender associated with colors is just from people making it up, its not like this is spanish where words have feminine and masculine associated to them... (And even then that doesn't really apply, but another subject.)

So yeah, i like purple, and many others do, i don't even know alot of people who dislike purple, bronies or non, and not any or very very few if any think its a girly color.

Heck, even pink isn't nessarily thought of as girly all the time, i've seen guys wear pink before.

Plus, who cares what color his skin is? Is he like racist to purple dragons ;p.?

But seriously, thats a very dumb complaint. 

Not to mention i don't know how many other males are colored in a "Girly" color scheme.

and its a show for girls, so even so its going to be slightly girly at points. 

However i do like the way they present feminine behavior and things in MLP, i won't reject that it is meant for girls to an extent.

But another topic.

I think i've said enough to debunk your brothers argument.

Spike is voiced by a woman, but so is Ciel Phantomhive, and he's pure awesome, even if he does wear a dress at one point.

Spike's purple is a bit pastelly, so perhaps a more vibrant purple would have been a smarter choice, or perhaps a bluer one, but either way, I think you should show your brother the clips of Spike as his adult self. See who's girly then.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, I'm going to say this one time.

THERE ARE NO GENDER SPECIFIC COLORS. If you like a color, you like a color. You don't have to like colors that are generally described as "girl" or "boy" colors. It's just that society expects you to, and that's messed up, man. 

Sorry. Had to get that out there.

Edited by Rinku
  • Brohoof 3

I think i've said enough to debunk your brothers argument.

LOL! You do not know my brother!happy.png He is so stubborn, not much will convince him to change his mind. But not to worry I am convinced.e9FkmL5.png  

• Brohoof 1

LOL! You do not know my brother!happy.png He is so stubborn, not much will convince him to change his mind. But not to worry I am convinced.e9FkmL5.png  

Well, i'm sure he won't necessarily be convinced, but he can't really make a legitment argument against that.

But i'm sure he'll be stubborn about it.

I can tell you are already :).

The shade that Spike is is not feminine. Weirdly, darker purple is associated more with girls.

img-1983307-1-frieza.jpg

This guy is not a girl, but is often mistaken for it due to his colors

I think you totally sank purple.

the thread is "is purple girly."

Mr lip lip stick lizard there is totally girly lol.

I don't know any pro fighters or manly men who wear purple.

I mean a pimp can get away with it but their eccentric don't cha know?

snip

i think you did squat to debunk his view point because you choose to argue entirely from your view point.

Why yes there are some guys that get away with pink.

Bret heart,

Rich franklin.

Ahem let me repeat that.  Get away with pink lol.  It didn't magically stop being girly.

Look not saying purple sucks.

Rarity and many a cat girl rock out purple like nobodies business.

but it's girlee lol.

Edited by FNGRpony

i think you did squat to debunk his view point because you choose to argue entirely from your view point.

Bret heart,

Rich franklin.

Ahem let me repeat that.  Get away with pink lol.  It didn't magically stop being girly.

but it's girlee lol.

That's a darker purple, which is feminine, IMO but Spike is a lighter shade of purple. Better example, this guy

Buu__s_Fury_by_Ghaleonx5z.png

Not feminine at all but pink

• Brohoof 1

That's a darker purple, which is feminine, IMO but Spike is a lighter shade of purple. Better example, this guy

Buu__s_Fury_by_Ghaleonx5z.png

Not feminine at all but pink

Ahem, my friend, I may be neo fight in pony land how ever,

I know dbz back words and forwards.

He's pink and wearing a diaper in his original form.  If he's not girly he's certainly juvenile.

Not to mention his name is taking from Cinderella.

Bibbity babbidy bo (bibidy and babbidy being his creators)

you can't get anymore girly than that.

Don't look now  but you shot your foot off ^^.

yep nothing girly about a monster that turns people into candy and eats them LOL.

He couldn't be less manly.

Edited by FNGRpony

He's pink and wearing a diaper in his original form.  If he's not girly he's certainly juvenile.

yep nothing girly about a monster that turns people into candy and eats them LOL.

His original form is Kid Buu, which doesn't have the diaper. As for eating candy, how is that girly? Bibidi Badadi Boo is a clever joke but it's not inherently girly

His original form is Kid Buu, which doesn't have the diaper. As for eating candy, how is that girly? Bibidi Badadi Boo is a clever joke but it's not inherently girly

the content it's based on is girl central.

and I've seen alot of the mujin bo saga.  But i've missed maybe an episode or two.

when he is awoken (minus any flash backs)

he's the dumb oaf.  True or false?  THe husky one.

Edited by FNGRpony

the content it's based on is girl central.

and I've seen alot of the mujin bo saga.  But i've missed maybe an episode or two.

when he is awoken (minus any flash backs)

he's the dumb oaf.  True or false?  THe husky one.

Yes. but his original form, the one he was created in, was Kid Buu. Chronologically, Kid Buu appeared first, it's why he's called Pure Buu

Bret heart,

Rich franklin.

but it's girlee lol.

imnot sure what you are saying but if you are saying frieza is girly i suggest you watch more dragonball z he kills a whole race of people and blows up their planet

just gonna say one thing and a few more things we all watch my little pony freindship is magic and we are arguing about a color that is girly what the hell is going on here