Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Spike Twilight's pet?

Grumpy Enchantress

This was brought up in the other pets thread but, I don't want to derail it. :P Personally, I say that Spike works best as Twilight's pet and it was always my headcanon and I consider it real canon now that he was shown as a dog in Equestria Girls. Besides he's abused by Rarity sticking pins in him and Dashie and AJ hurting him in their games and Twilight making him do everything so he's clearly being used as forced work. What do you guys think? smile.png

This was brought up in the other pets thread but, I don't want to derail it. tongue.png Personally, I say that Spike works best as Twilight's pet and it was always my headcanon and I consider it real canon now that he was shown as a dog in Equestria Girls. Besides he's abused by Rarity sticking pins in him and Dashie and AJ hurting him in their games and Twilight making him do everything so he's clearly being used as forced work. What do you guys think? smile.png

See this is why i always eat warn points, i think that's not off topic.  And if it is it's totally close.

If i had to rule spike out by comparing him to owlicious?

hum......

What rights does spike have that the owl doesn't?

He talks.

Spike can literally write to princess Celestial.  and he did so in lesson 0.

No pet has the royal divine rulers ear.  Ha.

Edited by FNGRpony
  • Brohoof 2

Technically, in the movie he was literally a dog so I guess he is considered a pet in the movie. Spike is more of an assistant to Twilight, and is willing to help others even if the work involves pain.

• Brohoof 4

I think he was kinda Twilight's pet/dragon familiar in characterization, but by the time of Owlicious's introduction he'd pretty much became his own character.

Spike being a dog in EG, despite pissing a lot of people off, makes a little bit of sense. Spike is extremely loyal to his friends and Twilight, and is Twilight's closest friend. And when you convert that to humans, well, what is man's best friend, who's always loyal to the end, anyway? Dogs.

Technically, in the movie he was literally a dog so I guess he is considered a pet in the movie. Spike is more of an assistant to Twilight, and is willing to help others even if the work involves pain.

If i have to address E.G.  Twilight had no earthy idea how the human world worked.  None.  So in all likely hood she didn't understand human ownership.

Hell look how she acted when she showed up?  letting spike hop on her back LOL (best moment in the whole movie).

• Brohoof 1

Not really, i see him more a companion to twilight. In the show hes her assistant. 

but he talks and has his own afairs and stuff, and his actions aren't all controlled by twilight.

Spike is twilights aquaintence, and Twilights pet is owlicious.

So yeah spikes no pet to me.

• Brohoof 2

Not really, i see him more a companion to twilight. In the show hes her assistant. 

but he talks and has his own afairs and stuff, and his actions aren't all controlled by twilight.

that and spike got his own birthday.  that more than just pinkie recognized lol.  the cakes wouldn't have gave gummy...okay that's a bad example LOL..

the cakes wouldn't have gave opal squat lol.

• Brohoof 1

If i have to address E.G.  Twilight had no earthy idea how the human world worked.  None.  So in all likely hood she didn't understand human ownership.

Hell look how she acted when she showed up?  letting spike hop on her back LOL (best moment in the whole movie).

Yeah but, she still treats him like a pet and made him make her a bed out of books. tongue.png

Would slave be a more appropriate word to describe him than? laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

Yeah but, she still treats him like a pet and made him make her a bed out of books. tongue.png

Meh, not exactly, i mean if he was a slave twilights tone would be more aggressive, and he would never be allowed out alone or to think himself, or to do anything besides work, eat, drink, go to the bathroom, and sleep. 

So i think assistant works better, library's have assistants afterall in adition to the main librarian "Librarians,

I got the "don't reply to that guy" song playing in my head now for some odd reason ^ ~.

Thankfully I don't subscribe to that theory.

She didn't make him do squat lol.  He could left her.  Hell he fallowed Twilight against Celestails' wishes.

you cheeky devil, I think your trying to get a rye out of people who see a family relation ship between twilight and spike.

I got the "don't reply to that guy" song playing in my head now for some odd reason ^ ~.

sad.png

She didn't make him do squat lol.  He could left her.  Hell he fallowed Twilight against Celestails' wishes.

Yeah but, he was worried about her so he followed her to try and help her out in the other universe. She still treated him like a pet when they were there and stuff, though. smile.png

you cheeky devil, I think your trying to get a rye out of people who see a family relation ship between twilight and spike.

No, I'm just expressing my own opinion, I didn't insult anybody else's. I personally think the characters work best having a pet/master relationship and think the show testifies to that idea. You can think of them as family if you want but, I disagree. derpy_emoticon2.png

sad.png

Yeah but, he was worried about her so he followed her to try and help her out in the other universe. She still treated him like a pet when they were there and stuff, though. smile.png

No, I'm just expressing my own opinion, I didn't insult anybody else's. I personally think the characters work best having a pet/master relationship and think the show testifies to that idea. You can think of them as family if you want but, I disagree. derpy_emoticon2.png

I'm not telling you to stop,

I'm just saying if i was pushing this tenaciously I'd more likely than not, trying to get peoples goat.

Not that ive ever done that around here *cough, cough*.

If twilight did anything based on the human world you've just pointed out poor writing.

She didn't know how a vending machine worked.  A key board.  How to eat with her hands.  if she saw a leash she'd probably stare at it blankly and ask what the hell that thing is.

Okay, I'll flip the script (I LOVE DOING THAT)

you tell me how Spike is different from say

Sweetie bell,

Apple bloom,

or scootaloe.

What makes him a pet and not family and what makes them family?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

you tell me how Spike is different from say

Sweetie bell,

Apple bloom,

or scootaloe.

What makes him a pet and not family and what makes them family?

None of those characters are forced to work against their will. (Except for Sweetie Belle in Sleepless in Ponyville but that's only because Rarity is an abusive sister sometimes and she didn't want to go camping anyway.) tongue.png Also, you can have a pet that's sort of like family a little bit, that's what Spike is. wink.png  

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

None of those characters are forced to work against their will. (Except for Sweetie Belle in Sleepless in Ponyville but that's only because Rarity is an abusive sister sometimes and she didn't want to go camping anyway.) tongue.png  

heh so your suggesting that rarity views her sister as her pet (she might ).

You know, that reminds me of rarity with her pet rock, was she using twilight as a pet making her carry (i forget his name) him.

I guess the real question is, does twilight view spike as a possession?

I could see rarity seeing sweetie bell like one (don't yell at me rarity fans, the O.P. corrupted me ^^).

• Brohoof 2

I don't see Spike as Twilight's pet. Spike is Twilight's assistant and the 2 are good friends. She let's him have a bed, celebrate his birthday, get's him gifts, also at times it does look like Spike get's payed for his work. So I disagree with the idea, that Twilight see's Spike as a pet.

• Brohoof 1

His bed is one of the most pet like things about him, though. That's just one of those little dog or cat beds and Twilight gets this huge comfortable real bed. tongue.png

your cherry picking lol (damn that was an easy cap).

sides look how silly twilight looks in a tiny bed.  (totally work safe)

i forget how big was spikes bed in canterlot in E.G?  I forget.

Yeah but, she still treats him like a pet and made him make her a bed out of books. img-1986285-1-tongue.png

Would slave be a more appropriate word to describe him than? img-1986285-2-laugh.png

Well slave is the ownership of another human being. In the show it basically states that Twilight owns Spike, so yeah Spike is Twilight's slave. Now before I get hate for this, but I think Twilight is a very good master to Spike. There were cases in the South were people respected their slaves, and treated them well. Slavery just wasn't all whippings.

Unless you lived on a plantation. In which it was all whippings. Regardless, Spike is Twilight's slave like by definition. She owns him. However, she doesn't really treat him bad or anything. So my question is this is it still bad. I mean they are basically siblings. So is it wrong for Twilight to own Spike. I dun know.

Also I kind of screwed up the quote thing, and I dun know how to fix it. Plz helpz. Got this from Grumpy Enchantress.

Edited by Silver fox 117

His bed is one of the most pet like things about him, though. That's just one of those little dog or cat beds and Twilight gets this huge comfortable real bed. img-1986378-1-tongue.png

Well Spikes really not that big and we never see him complain about it or anything. Still I don't think Twilight see's Spike as a pet. 

I would say he's more like an adopted little brother/assistant/companion

There were cases in the South were people respected their slaves, and treated them well. Slavery just wasn't all whippings.

And in some cases... The slaves were better off under their masters, as they had no rights under law at the time and under slavery they would be fed, clothed and sheltered... When the emancipation proclamation declared freedom for all slaves, many stayed on anyway because although they were free, they still had no legal rights, meaning they couldn't actually do anything to help themselves, get a job, get a home, get food...

How do I know this? I wrote a 5000 word essay on Civil Rights xD

I don't think it's possible to define Spike's role in one set word... Their relationship is much more complex...

• Brohoof 2

No OP he's not a pet, but good try anyway. If anything I think big sister/surrogate mother fits her a lot better. Also servant is a better word than slave and more fitting. I'm not sure we can read anything into the writers making him a dog in EQ. It simply made more sense in that context. Animals do lot for their owners, but not nearly as much as any of the real pets on the show.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I always wanted to see him as more of her assistant and friend, than a pet. He does chores for her, but he also helped her zillion times, plus he can talk unlike the other animals in the movie.

I actually never thought she saw him as a pet, even as an animal (okay, non-pony). Actually, she treats him more like a child in a way.

Spike is half little-brother and half butt-monkey male-derived comic relief from a show which has its primary context in girls.

The emphasis is on friendship and adventures had through that relationship. Nuclear fraternity plays second-fiddle to that theme, and for that reason Spike doesn't get as much treatment as a junior sibling as he does being a walking punchline that facilitates various other plot-critical tasks and dialogue. For very similar reasons, Big Macintosh barely says or does anything at all.

It would be degrading to call him a pet, but it would be inaccurate to say he's treated with the respect a little brother deserves, at all times.

Edited by Blue

He does get to ride Twilight Sparkle, that is a privilege that i have not seen any other pets. The episode with twilight's Owl and spike was evident that she never viewed Spike as a pet, granted she does at times overuse him  but i cant imagine the show without him.