Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Colgate Conundrum- A Cutie Mark Question

That One Techpriest You Used To Know

8 users have voted

1. 1. Is a pony's cutie mark their ultimate destiny?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's different for everypony

We all know about Colgate- the dentist pony, according to fandom. But has one ever looked at her cutie mark? It's an hourglass.

While, canonically, her name is Minuette, but it just brings up another question, emphasized further by the Pony Platforming Project: Minty Fresh Adventure!

Can a pony have a destiny that is completely different- or, in some cases, in total difference- to his or her cutie mark? Is it predestination? Or merely a skill set? Is it the only way they can ever truly be happy?

What is your opinion?

• Brohoof 1

Personally, my theory is that she found a way to improve the time a toothpaste protects the pearly whites our ponies have, and thus has an hourglass cutie mark. That would be the best way I could explain it, otherwise, I don't know. :P

• Brohoof 1

She cold have an hourglass cutie mark to represent her ability to ensure ponies are brushing for a long enough time. There is also the fan video where she gives Derpy an hourglass. Not canon, but it works. Cutie marks represent a passion and skill, which often decides career pat, even in real life. There may just be cases where a job doesn't reflect the pony's mark.

It is the fandom that made Colgate a dentist, meaning her job in the series could be completely different, something that better reflects her cutie mark. There is a large supply of fan-made content, and while this rich culture is generally a good thing, it does lead to problems when fanon and canon don't align. Unless the show itself specifically shows Colgate to be a dentist beyond a reasonable doubt, it is safe to say there is no problem presented by her cutie mark.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so what your asking is if when a cutie mark appears, then that is their determined life? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am right, then by all means no. First off, a cutie mark is nothing but a mark depicting what their most experienced at, their "talent". It by all means does not seal a pony's destiny for the rest of their life. Sure a pony could be extremely good at something thus obtaining their "Cutie Mark" but that doesn't mean that it will be the only thing their good at for the rest of their lives.

Also as "Frith is Magik" stated before, Minuette's "job" could be anything that better describes her cutie mark. She could possibly work in a shop that makes hourglasses or maybe she has the magical talent to partially control time, maybe she just works at a clock tower. The possibilities are endless. A pony's limitations are not judged by just their cutie mark.

However, Im just making a hypothesis here, but I think that a pony wouldn't be truly happy doing what there cutie mark tells them. But it would make them the most happy out of anything else, I assume. As I said before, a Cutie Mark is no more than just a symbol telling what a pony is best at, nothing more, nothing less. 

She is a Time Lord keeping an eye on Dr. Hooves.  He has a habit of changing the past.  Soon they shall come to blows and have an epic battle like none Ponyville has seen before nor will ever see again.

• Brohoof 1

The way I see it is that the fans decided to give Minuette the Colgate name simply by virtue of her appearance. She certainly looks like a pony who would be promoted by Colgate, which turns out to be a huge toothpaste company. I don't think the producers intended for Minuette to be a dentist pony.

Let's think Doctor Who. Inside the Timelord society, there's a division of jobs. There are the administrator Timelords, the sales Timelords, the business TImelords, etc. So basically Minuette is a dentist Timelord. Simple as that ;)

Oh sure when i make a lyra thread i get all the kill joys, who dismiss any and all crazy theory,

we get a Colgate thread,

and they go full blown fun and nuts. Yeah that's fair (grumbles).

I would chalk up her cutie mark to the writers dropping the ball.

• 3 years later...

There is this fanfiction I am reading called Fundamentals, and with a brief backstory of how Minuette got her cutie marks, said that her special talent was being able to find a solution to a problem quickly and use her time efficiently and properly.

So cutie marks, like Cheerilee and how it despite being flowers, represented seeing her students grow and blossom instead of actual gardening, can be symbolic in nature.

We all know about Colgate- the dentist pony, according to fandom. But has one ever looked at her cutie mark? It's an hourglass.

While, canonically, her name is Minuette, but it just brings up another question, emphasized further by the Pony Platforming Project: Minty Fresh Adventure!

Can a pony have a destiny that is completely different- or, in some cases, in total difference- to his or her cutie mark? Is it predestination? Or merely a skill set? Is it the only way they can ever truly be happy?

What is your opinion?

I'm just going to link to a video. It pretty much expresses how I feel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5YnAOtY52n9CxryEyDBxBkd23BpWB-8J&v=2NvY2YSy75U