Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Makes Reading Adorable

lomk

So here it is! My finished WIP!

After seeing all the encouraging comments at http://mlpforums.com/topic/77864-why-must-things-without-pupils-be-so-creepy-new-wip/#entry1990117 I decided to go ahead and finish her this evening though I was a little tired.

EYES! Y U SO HARD TO DRAW?!

Anyway, I think she looks great! I still use the same style as before: sharpie on pencil with colored pencils. I'm pretty much using the art supplies carried around by the average third grader, But this is my style of hand drawing and I love it.

I figured I'd just drop Twi in her normal setting: her library! Even though it's a beautiful day out there, she's gonna stay in today and read a book. laugh.png

Let me know what y'all think! As always, thanks for the criticism. I don't have a whole lot of experience in doing this so any constructive criticism is very appreciated. That way I can use your suggestions in my next work and sharpen my skills. 

You guys are all awesome! smile.png

post-6322-0-43349100-1383960123_thumb.jpg

Dang! I make reading adorable!

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 4

So here it is! My finished WIP!

After seeing all the encouraging comments at http://mlpforums.com/topic/77864-why-must-things-without-pupils-be-so-creepy-new-wip/#entry1990117 I decided to go ahead and finish her this evening though I was a little tired.

Anyway, I think she looks great! I still use the same style as before: sharpie on pencil with colored pencils. I'm pretty much using the art supplies carried around by the average third grader, But this is my style of hand drawing and I love it.

I figured I'd just drop Twi in her normal setting: her library! Even though it's a beautiful day out there, she's gonna stay in today and read a book. img-1990370-1-laugh.png

Let me know what y'all think! As always, thanks for the criticism. I don't have a whole lot of experience in doing this so any constructive criticism is very appreciated. That way I can use your suggestions in my next work and sharpen my skills. 

You guys are all awesome! img-1990370-2-smile.png

img-1990432-3-attachicon.giftwilight darkened.jpg

Dang! I make reading adorable!

It's you again, Fluttercry.  I notice that like before you like drawing giraffe necks. Maybe Twilight has a neck stretching spell so she can see her high-up books easier. img-1990432-4-tongue.png   I don't really mind that. It's interesting you bring up only having supplies used by your average third grader, as the bookshelf feels like it was made by a third grader. It just looks like a mishmash of colored rectangles. Can I borrow some of them for tetris? img-1990432-5-wink.pngimg-1990432-6-smile.png  Maybe if you just drew some thin borders and/or some scribbles that look like titles  they'd look more like books.  I really don't mind crayon coloring, but with the rest of the picture looking good the bookshelf really stands out. Other than that I like it. Keep up the good work. img-1990432-7-biggrin.png

BTW what is a WIP? I'm assuming the P stands for picture...or pony.

You know, sudden long necks are canon going by lesson zero.  We can just say Twilight is sitting down instead of standing.640px-Fluttershy_telling_lesson_S2E03.pn

Edited by Never2muchpinkie

BTW what is a WIP? I'm assuming the P stands for picture...or pony.

WIP stands for Work in Process or Work in Progress. 

All of my accounting classes have always said process, but I prefer progress myself. It just feels more natural. 

It's you again, Fluttercry.  I notice that like before you like drawing giraffe necks. Maybe Twilight has a neck stretching spell so she can see her high-up books easier. tongue.png   I don't really mind that. It's interesting you bring up only having supplies used by your average third grader, as the bookshelf feels like it was made by a third grader. It just looks like a mishmash of colored rectangles. Can I borrow some of them for tetris? wink.pngsmile.png  Maybe if you just drew some thin borders and/or some scribbles that look like titles  they'd look more like books.  I really don't mind crayon coloring, but with the rest of the picture looking good the bookshelf really stands out. Other than that I like it. Keep up the good work. biggrin.png

Yeah I'm having trouble with the whole neck thing lol I'll get it down one of these days, even if it KILLS ME! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Their shape looks good already. Now it's a matter of contrast.

You've made the irides somewhat dark in comparison to the pupils. Maybe instead of coloring them with pencil or gray crayon, use the same tool you used for the contour lines? It seems pretty solid dark black, and that's what is needed for the pupils. They're holes through which we see the dark interior of the eyeball after all. They need to be pretty darn dark. If they aren't, they seem like eyes of a blind pony (compare with Snowdrop's eyes).

Also, irides in the show are usually not solid-colored, but with a soft gradient going from darker shade to lighter at the bottom. They also put two little strands of lighter color across the iris to indicate their structure. A real iris is a circular band made of little strips, and some of these strips become visible when light reflects off from them. They're usually visible on the other side of the eye than those little white shines on the pupil, because when light comes from the upper-right direction, it reflects from the iris' stripes oriented in the direction nearly perpendicular to it, that is, lower-right, and towards the viewer's eye. That's why we see only these stripes and not the others.

Here's a little illustration of what I say:

img-2017187-1-Eye.gif

I also marked with dashed gray line where the iris' stripes meet at the centre of the pupil.

I'd also add that your lashes are somewhat too straight, which makes them seem "stiff". Next time try to add some more dynamism to them, which will make them seem somewhat more "flexible".

It's all about these little details which make the eye look good.

Edited by SasQ

Looks good, but there are a few things I should point out.  First of all what I noticed, was her neck.  It's reeeeeeally long.  Her ear seems a bit too small too...  Other than that, good job and keep practicing!

Good job, I was looking forward to this one, though with that, there are some things I'd like to point out.

-The neck is too long, and necks don't curve at such an angle.

-the books could use a bit more detail

-twilights pupils should be darker, they're very grayish

-horn is too high on twilights head.

-the eyelashes are very stiff, they should curve a little, to look more natural.

-eyes are lacking some dynamic attributes. Try adding some highlights in the iris.

-lastly, the ears are just a bit small.

Hope this was useful, I'm expecting more drawings, don't forget to practice ;)