Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Terrible puns in FiM

Should the show stop using puns forever? They're all terrible and cringe worthy and ruin the atmosphere of the show. The absolute worst one ever was when Applejack said gazunthoof. That's just awful, it doesn't rhyme or make any sense at all. huh.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AErJrSaLCAQ

Should they stop this kind of thing? It's cringe worthy in my opinion. dry.png  What do you guys think. smile.png

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 3

Puns aren't exactly the most popular form of comedy, but they are funny in small doses if the joke makes sense. But, this pun makes me facepalm.

I thought that was the only good pun in the whole show, personally. Because, it's so terrible and yet Silver Spoon still laughed at it. derpy_emoticon2.png

• Brohoof 2

Well, I mean

Yes some are stupid, but some are funny.

Should they stop using puns?

No

Although some are pretty cheesy, some are actually funny, but like Scootalove said, the LAMEkin one made me facehoof

Although it was funny since Silver Spoon still laughed

Edited by NightmareCadence
  • Brohoof 1

I've never been a fan of the 'somepony', 'everypony', 'nopony' mostly because I feel that they are unnecessary and still make me cringe whenever I hear them.

They've mentioned 'hand' at least several times metaphorically and I've always known what they meant.

• Brohoof 3

I remember one I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfdSzdIsqp4

Because it was a pun referencing a song about getting stoned in a show meant for little girls.

I thought that was awesome.

Other than that, meh. I think it's good as it is. biggrin.png

Ahem, you didn't think anything.

you knew it was funny LOL.  Flutter shy teased someone lol.  Adorable flutter shy.  The delivery, the person doing it, everything made that scene epic lol.

Ahem, you didn't think anything.

you knew it was funny LOL.  Flutter shy teased someone lol.  Adorable flutter shy.  The delivery, the person doing it, everything made that scene epic lol.

I just found it so funny because of the reference :D There's a song called "Puffy the Magic Dragon" or "Puff the Magic Dragon," and it's about getting off your ass high.

That's what I thought was so great about it :D

Badges

I just found it so funny because of the reference biggrin.png There's a song called "Puffy the Magic Dragon" or "Puff the Magic Dragon," and it's about getting off your ass high.

That's what I thought was so great about it biggrin.png

Oh come one if rainbow dash made that line it wouldn't have been as funny.

Maybe apple jack lol.

If pinkie did it i think most people would have rolled their eyes.

I don't see any reason to alter the comedic dynamic of the show - clearly, it works. Puns aren't for everyone, I get that much, but I submit that the show wouldn't have gotten nearly this far if it weren't for its current brand of humor, so I see no need to up and change it now.

Whether you find puns in general endearingly cheesy or outright cringeworthy, I'd say they're probably here to stay. And that ain't no horsin' around.

Edited by Lowline

Oh come one if rainbow dash made that line it wouldn't have been as funny.

Maybe apple jack lol.

If pinkie did it i think most people would have rolled their eyes.

Pinkie, it'd be funny.

RD, no. She's not really that good for laughs.

Neither is Applejack.

Rarity is at times, but it wouldn't have worked for her at all.

Twilight could've worked.

FS or Pinkie would've worked best.

:squee:

Badges

Pinkie, it'd be funny.

RD, no. She's not really that good for laughs.

Neither is Applejack.

Rarity is at times, but it wouldn't have worked for her at all.

Twilight could've worked.

FS or Pinkie would've worked best.

e9FkmL5.png

well i think it worked for flutter shy because she came out of left field with it.

Flutter shys normal humor is dead pan ironic humor.

Such as "yay!"

She actually came out with something mildly snarkey,

imagine a real old racist joke you heard 100s of times, and  youmight have laughed at 5 years ago.

now your most open minded friend you never imagined just told it.

you might laugh.

• Brohoof 1

Every childrens show will always have puns take Mattel's Ever After High and Disney's Tinkerbell for instance, I could name a least a hundred different puns they use in both franchisees. I think the only reason they use cheesy puns like this in kids shows is because they think it's cute and funny but because were not the target demographic and we're older we're not as amused by them.

Puns are pretty awesome. I mean, some of the cities in Equestria are puns.

• Las Pegasus
  • Manehatten

Puns can be corny, but they can be so awesome at the same time...however, every now again we have those puns that make us facehoof.

Edited by Seibutsu Akuma

I remember one I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfdSzdIsqp4

Because it was a pun referencing a song about getting stoned in a show meant for little girls.

I thought that was awesome.

Other than that, meh. I think it's good as it is. :D

Spoiler because this is off-topic:

I don't want to cause a ruckus or start a flame war, but Puff the Magic Dragon is not about pot. After the song came out, some people started to use the phrase "puffing the magic dragon" to refer to smoking pot, because it was a 60s folk song and most of the fans of the song were hippies, but the writers only intention was that the song be about the end of childhood innocence. Here's a Snopes article about it if you're interested. http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/puff.asp Sorry to correct you but that is one of my favourite sad songs and it really annoys me how many people think it's just a song about drugs, so I take it upon myself to educate.

On topic: I like the puns when they're well done. If it's something that isn't too obvious and I never would have thought of myself, it's okay in my book. I really liked Mulia Mild.