Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Minimum Character Limit is dead*

Lavo

I am going to give a bit more of an opinion here. I seen what the intention was with the limit and I can kinda understand its purpose, but the reason why I didn't like it, is because not every conversation has to be some super intellectual one. Sometimes things are just casual. It really annoyed me before I would respond to a very simple thread that still had some weight to it and I would have to beef up the post pointlessly. In that case, the conversation wasn't going to be improved by making my post longer, so it didn't serve much purpose. Also, it supposedly could prevent spammers. Well, those people can still be reported accordingly if that happens.

So yeah, this is something I like, as you can see. Now, the next thing to get the axe should be brohoofs in the Cloudsdale Colosseum forums.

• Brohoof 3

We hate it,  you hate it, everyone hates it. So today I'm announcing that the minimum character limit is practically dead. All forums with the exception of three now have a minimum of 20 characters, which should be pretty damn hard to not reach.

The three forums that are not exempt from this change and remain how they were are Roleplay (200), Advanced Roleplay (800), and Debate Pit (100).

Just remember if your post is off-topic, extremely low quality or needlessly shor we're still going to penalize it under off-topic this new change isn't a green signal to spam the forums.

Also something to note is that the Character Minimum Violation still exists and will be handed out when needed if you somehow manage to not hit it or hit the limit in a forum where it is more of a problem.

Now, if you don't mind. I'm going to go back and hide in my cave.

NO! NO! NO! NO! The ingenuity of posts has now been killed. I loved the limit, it made you put thought into your posts, not just putting up something off the top of your head that really had no meaning to it other than the fact of making a post for the sake of posting. The character limit made these forums unique from many other forums and was probably one of my most favorited feature on the forums and now...... now it has been diminished to be almost non existent. I genially enjoyed the fact that everyone had to have at the minimum 100 characters in their posts, it made posts more individuated. Oh well...... not much I can do about this as an individual. Disappointing.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 1

I never had any issues reaching the limit, but for some, it could be difficult. It's nice that the limit has been lowered, but there's no reason why the new limit should be in cloudsdale colosseum. At least in the forum games. I feel like I'm going to get penalized for making a quick comment in the forum games. I probably won't since nothing important goes on there, but I still feel like I could be penalized. Other than that, I have no problems with this change.

Yay! Great to hear it!

Usually I don't have any trouble with coming up with lots of words, much more than the character limit (thousands of characters). But there were these times when I just wanted to add two bits here and there, or post some link relevant to the post of someone else, or make a short (but still humorous) comment, but I COULDN'T, due to the character limit ;-P You will never know what could I have to say, because when I couldn't get past the limit, I didn't want to just yap some random stuff to get it around, so I was just giving up.

Lowering the character limit to 20 will definitely help the case, but it's not the ultimate solution yet, I guess. Because there are still cases where 20 would be too much. So why don't just turn off the limit at all, and leave it to the reporting mechanism? When someone wants to fluff talk, he/she will do it nevertheless, no matter the character limit. I've seen dumb posts with more than 100 characters before, so the whole idea of character limit is irrelevant to the case. It's the report mechanism which is better suited for this job.

I also was always wondering how some peeps were able to pass around the character limit: their posts were very short (definitely shorter than 100 characters), and their ranks were also quite low, but somehow they were there, as if the limit weren't apply to them at all. Any ideas how it were possible?

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

Quite neutral to this. It doesn't really make much of a difference, since I tend to type at least 100 characters into all of my posts.

Good to see that they're still implemented in the Roleplay World though, I think we still do need that.

NO! NO! NO! NO! The ingenuity of posts has now been killed. I loved the limit, it made you put thought into your posts, not just putting up something off the top of your head that really had no meaning to it other than the fact of making a post for the sake of posting. The character limit made these forums unique from many other forums and was probably one of my most favorited feature on the forums and now...... now it has been diminished to be almost non existent. I genially enjoyed the fact that everyone had to have at the minimum 100 characters in their posts, it made posts more individuated. Oh well...... not much I can do about this as an individual. Disappointing.

Did you even read the second half of Lavo's post?

• Brohoof 1

Did you even read the second half of Lavo's post?

Yes I did, and all I have to say to that is good luck because you are not going to get them all. I think the character limit should have been set to 50 instead of 20. 

Edited by Emperor Posh

I actually liked the 100 character limit. In some sections of the forums it was a little annoying, but otherwise I liked it. Personally, I think the character limit should be 50 for most parts of the forums. Its not too low or too high. I liked the fact that people had to spend more time on their posts, and I thought that the character limit made most posts higher quality. Sometimes it was hard to reach the character limit but I feel like 20 is too low. 100 was a bit high, so I think 50 is good. Regardless, most of the time I'm still going to write long posts since I like it better that way.

• Brohoof 2

I personally really liked the character limit. 100 characters isn't really high enough of a minimum to affect anyone as long as they have something even remotely meaningful to say, and it discouraged people from making posts that were smaller than tweets.

To put this into perspective, that bit I just wrote above was 210 characters. putting just half of that into the reply box isn't that hard. mellow.png

• Brohoof 1

I like this change overall, but why was the Cloudsdale Coliseum also affected by this? Some threads really don't require any character limit, such as "what are you listening to." Seeing as it's largely a spam forum, I don't see why that forum in particular should also be affected. If the concern is the increase in post count, isn't it possible to disable post count on that forum? I kinda liked the Coliseum better without any limit.

Edited by ~Chaotic Freedan~
  • Brohoof 1

We'll see how things play out, but right now I'm liking the change. It's not like I was constantly running into the character limit but there were enough times where I had to awkwardly pad out my post to fill the requirements to where it became a tad bit annoying.