Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite anime?

DerpLeOtakuz

i just thought i would add this one to my list of recommendations:

Steins;Gate

One of the best Anime ive ever watched,period.

If it wasnt for the incredibly slow start, i would think of the show on par with death note.

Also, its only about 24 episodes, its easily watchable in 3 days max.

Like others, I've not seen much anime, although the ones I have seen tend to be... quirky in one way or the other. For instance, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki is an anime where the five who are the most likely to be children of a world-destroying god are identified and placed together in a family with a government agent with the intent of convincing whoever is the 'true' child that it's much better to love and cherish than destroy. Yeah. It's fairly rapid-fire wacky/crazy show, if you're into that (I liked it well enough).

I don't know how popular it was, but I found To Aru Kagaku no Railgun to be a fairly enjoyable action series (although Kuroko's antics can wear a little thin sometimes.) It's a series where super-powered people called "espers" are trained in the scientific theory behind their powers in order to enhance their abilities, following one in particular who seems to find herself in trouble quite a bit.

Definitly Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online. The only problem from Fairy Tail is there are so many openings and closings. Other than that, it's humorous and full of adventure. SAO  to me has no flaws. All that I like is there. An Epic opening with a twist and a little bit of romance. Definitily would recommend it to anyone.

AWESOMEST ANIMES!!!!!

B)  :P  :D  :yay:  :proud:  

If you guys like these animes, I told you so........ :toldya:  :wau: 

Definitly Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online. The only problem from Fairy Tail is there are so many openings and closings. Other than that, it's humorous and full of adventure. SAO  to me has no flaws. All that I like is there. An Epic opening with a twist and a little bit of romance. Definitily would recommend it to anyone.

AWESOMEST ANIMES!!!!!

B)  :P  :D  :yay:  :proud:  

If you guys like these animes, I told you so........ :toldya:  :wau: 

Having multiple openings can only be a good thing! If they're good songs anyway... :lol:

The thing I loved most about Sword Art Online's romance is that unlike most anime that have romance in them they didn't drag it out for the whole freakin' anime and just got straight to the point fairly early on.

• Brohoof 1

Well as far as Anime I personally recommend: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Akira, FLCL, Power Puff Girls Z, Panty and Stocking with Garderbelt, Ronin Warriors, Lucky Star, Sailor Moon, Spirited Away(The original version), Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Toteiro (Excuse the spelling on this one. Haven't seen it in ages), Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer

My favorite Anime is Yu Yu Hakusho, which is sad because it isn't nearly as popular as other Animes.

The manga was written and set in the 80's so it has background elements like arcades, Oingo Boingo posters, VHS tapes, and one of the main characters is a huge Metallica fan, which is just one more awesome thing about it. It was animated in the 90's around the same time as Dragon Ball, so the animation isn't as smooth, but I actually like the rough animation a lot better than new animes. It was dubbed in 2001 and, as someone who has seen the dub and the sub, I can safely say that it is the only anime I have ever seen where the dub is better! The emotions and message were translated so perfectly by Funimation that I must have watched the entire series 20 times and I still get a rush.

The fighting in Yu Yu Hakusho was gritty and riveting. I can best describe it as "Dragon Ball Z with shorter, less boring fights, more gore, and less boring charging up." Many of the fights use spirit energy attacks, but there is never any long charging sequences that take you out of the mood. Plus, the fights are never aggravatingly long. They're usually only a few minutes, if not a few seconds. The longest fight was Yusuke vs Toguro, which was about four episodes long, but they kept it from being repetitive by adding new elements and emotions as the fight progressed rather than having them endlessly hit each other for fifty minutes. Unlike other animes, the fights are never longer than they need to be, so the explosion of emotion never peters out. Plus, it can get much bloodier than DBZ, but it's never so gory that it gets excessive.

The characters and character development is, by far, the best thing about the show. The four main characters: Kuwabara, Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama, continue to develop as the series progresses. Their character stories never truly end as you learn more and more about them. I would go so far as to say that they're the deepest characters I've ever seen in an anime! Each of the characters has one or more major struggles. I could write pages about these four characters, but I'll keep it short.

Hiei is learning how to work with friends and how to open his heart up to care about someone other than himself.

"Tell me Kuwabara, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?"

Kurama struggles with his nature as a notorious thief turned hero, and must confront his past as his experience with humans makes him a better man in the future.

"Relying on the sake of one threat is a risky gamble. What if I truly didn't care?"

Kuwabara fights to stay as an honorable man when his enemies, and often his friends, often go against his moral code.

"I'm not an idiot! She's my girlfriend!"

Yusuke, a former junior high thug, learns that he needs more than strength to protect the people he cares about. He can't be a cocky kid any more and every choice he makes affects the countless people that care about him.

"And this one's for me! Just for pissing me off!"

The shows villains are some of the coolest I've ever seen. I'll list a few.

Sakyo, a litteral psychopath who plans to open a permanent portal to the demon world because he believes "It would be more fun that way." He loves gambling and chooses to obtain his goals in the riskiest way possible in order to gain more of a thrill. As a normal human, he is no fighter, instead acting as a calculating chess master. He is emotionless and composed, the kind of psycho who could take a smoke break after ordering a slaughter.

"I grew up the youngest of five children with a loving mother and father. I hated them both."

Younger Toguro, a triangle-shades-wearing badass who served as the main antagonist for most of the first two seasons. He is extremely powerful and his main motivation is to fight someone strong enough to push him to fight at 100%. His backstory is the most interesting thing about him. Toguro was once a great friend of Genkai, Yusuke's elder mentor. However, back when the two were very young, Toguro chose power over everything else and made himself into a demon who will never age, pushing Genkai to hate the man he had become. Toguro may be a super tough badass, but he chose to become a monster because he was scared, scared of becoming old.

"I only kill warriors and job assignments. You are neither. Now, move along."

My favorite villain of all is Shinobu Sensui. Aside from having the most badass and creepy theme music of all time, he's also a compelling character. Sensui is a former spirit detective who used to defend humanity from demons. However, when he learned that humans can be just as cruel, if not worse than demons, he went through an internal crisis. He disappeared for almost a decade before unexpectedly returning in an attempt to purge the world of humans by opening a portal to the demon world. His personality was extremely deep. He had seven different personalities in his head (Though we only meet four) The purpose of his other personalities were to commit all of the evil and manipulative things he needed to do to gain his goal while keeping his main personality 'pure.'

"Let's start digging, each one of us. Seven graves should be decent start."

There were a lot more villains and words simply can't do them justice.

Plus, it had the coolest ending theme of any anime EVER!

That is the most badass love song ever... Of all time.

Death Note. It's all about perspective and it's a good intelligent chase to see if the killer, who is the main protagonist, will be caught. Very surreal, I adore it so much. The characters are lovable, the plot has many twists and turns, and it's great.

• Brohoof 1

I totally recommend a film called Wolf Children. I saw that three times and it's such a good film. It's a bit sad a some parts, but there are really some heart-warming moments in it as well. It's worth a watch.

Or if your a Shoujofreak like me:

Sailor Moon-One of the most known Magical Girl, a lot of people probably heard of it.

Cardcaptor Sakura-Another one I like, it's very sweet.

Fruits Basket- I think this one counts as Shoujo, I really like the idea of what they do to the zodiac animals.

And since I have a soft spot for Fantasy and Romance:

Ah! My Goddess-It's good. I really like all the characters, some of them are funny, even the villains.

Beyond The Boundary- Epic anime by KyoAni; Has some beautiful animation I've seen.

My two, all-time favourites are Heartcatch PreCure! and Space Battleship Yamato (known as Star Blazers in much of the western world.)

Yes, Heartcatch is a Pretty Cure series, but I think it's the best one and possibly the last good one. The story is rather deep and pretty good, especially as far as Cure Moonlight is concerned. Plus, I think the animation is just beautiful and this is the last PreCure series to NOT use CGI transformations.

As for Yamato? It's kind of cheesy since it's an early 70s anime, but I still love it. It's your typical sci-fi, good guy vs bad guy thing with other stories in between, the most prominent being the Yuki/Kodai love story. (Which they beat around the bush a lot on). And the dub isn't all that bad. I think the voices fit and the actors worked really well together and everything flowed, the only downside being some of the cuts (there were few, though) and this weird tint they put on the screen that I'm still trying to figure out.

Do you like mechs? Did you like Pacific Rim? Do you get shivers when a character makes amazing bombastic speechs?

Whatever you said to these questions it doesnt matter. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of the best animes ever and you should totally watch it!

Seriously this anime is crazy good, you should watch it.

Heres a good review of it if you want to know more.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's got a (mostly) tight plot and good characters. However, the 2003 adaptation is hard for me to recommend, due to it's poor execution and lack of cohesion. Conqueror of Shambala is worse, in my opinion.

There's also Gatchaman Crowds, the distant relative of Gatchaman. However, it's got the spirit of the original, if you look close enough. The messages are also relevant for today.

There's also JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (not the OVA). I really enjoy the strategy in each battle. But I also cannot recommend the first two parts, which are rather stilted and awkward; Like my typing!

• Brohoof 1

Dragon Ball Z is my favorite anime, followed by Darker Than Black, Outlaw Star, and Azumanga Daioh (lol).  I can't recommend DBZ unless you like things that are awesome.  If you are allergic to awesome, stay well away!  In truth, you may want to go the manga route; the anime adds a lot of filler.  Darker Than Black is slower-paced, darker (hey like it says in the title), and focuses more on story, but I'd recommend it if you favor story to action.  Outlaw Star is spaceships and cool guns and some supposedly amazing and coveted treasure; with an interesting, varied cast of main characters.  Azumanga...  Just watch this and you'll have an idea whether you'd want to see it or not:

Fun, funny, different (before a dozen seeming copycats came along), won't raise your anxiety level and heart rate as there are no deadly, hundred episode-long battles.  There's the cat bite running gag lol. xD

Crud, did OP specify "series?"  If not, I lied: Akira is my favorite anime lol.  It's a film, though.  Everyone go watch Akira.  Or wait until you're older and go watch Akira.  Go!  Or wait - then go!

Edited by PegaMister

I actually enjoy watching Naruto Shippuden, Saiunkoku Monotagari, Fushigi Yuugi, Fullmetal Alchemist, Trinity Blood, Saiyuki, Yami no Matsuei and Death Note.

Oh, and the latest craze; Shingeki no Kyojin :) 

My top ten favorite anime list is currently as follows:
1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion (original series)

3. Bakemonogatari
4. Madoka Magicka
5. Katanagatari
6. Cowboy Bebop
7. S-CRY-ed
8. Panty and Stocking
9. Noucome
10. One Piece
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood gets an honorary mention, though. Because, that show is one of the few masterpieces. 

• 1 year later...

Hey, everyone. I'm just wondering what's everyone's favorite anime.  :ooh:

My favorites at the moment would have to be Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and the polarizing Neon Genesis Evangelion. Though, I'm currently watching Hunter x Hunter and I think it may top my number one spot.  :D

Anybody else have a favorite? I'd love to know!  :lol: