Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you use shampoo?

*Rarity

134 users have voted

1. 1. Do you use schampoo?

• No, I use nothing
    • I only use conditioner
    • Yes

I guess, this COULD be in the horrifying Debate Pit but... That would like, be setting a marker on the topic: "Hey, we're here to argue about schampoo!". Which was not my intention with the thread, it's more of a... Way to see if there are anypony else, who is NOT using schampoo!

Read below if you want to see how I was thinking about this. And please, no arguing about whatever is the best. Feel free to give a reason to why you use schampoo or not but it's probably fairly obvious.

The funny thing was, I was in a theatre last week... I played a hippie, and the first line the other person who was acting with me was. "*Sniff* Euu, you smell like shit! Can't you afford schampoo?" ... And now, I am actually not using any schampoo! Funny, isn't it?

So I recently started this thing, I googled it up. It's somewhat simlar to the "conditioner-method" except... not even conditioner. So this I what I have done:

Tuesday: About a deciliter of canola oil/ rapeseed oil in my hair, I have pretty long hair... Showered it out after a few minutes, and an hour later. Still, a lot of oil remained.

Wednesday, school... Everyone asks if I just showered, hair is VERY greasy and nasty.

Thursday: See above.

Friday: Oil is gone, but since I'm not using any schampoo, it does look like I could use a shower, even if I did shower this morning, but without schampoo. I googled some more, and people say it will take a few weeks for the hair to get used to "no-schampoo".

The reason for this is simple: I'm hippie-ish, I don't like putting acids in my hair, and I get dandruff by schampoo apparently. And if I use dandruff schampoo, well, that works, for a while. But let's not even talk about what that dandrfuff schampoo contains... so much crap in schampoo, it's just... euh.

If this doesn't work, I'll do the conditioner method, if my mother buys some acid-free ones that is...

Edited by *Rarity
  • Brohoof 2

Who needs shampoo? Good old soap and water work just fine. (I'm bald/shaved anyway haha)

And most of these new shampoos have tons of additional crap in them that sinks through the skin on your head and into your blood stream. Trace amounts to be sure but that stuff is not supposed to be there.

And not all shampoos are scented either, in fact i'm pretty sure there are some specifically designed to have no scent.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah.  Only when I come straight from the barber is my hair short enough that I don't really need it.  I use it conservatively.  Just enough to keep the hair from getting greasy and to prevent flaking. 

Sulfate shampoo is actually bad for the scalp. I use sulfate free. It's better. It aids in hair growth.

Then, I condition my hair up to half of its length. Conditioning all the way will cause a double layer of grease to appear.

Grease is actually good for your hair, it brings out the shine and helps prevent dust from entering the scalp. However, a double layer smells horrid and that is why I only half the length.

• Brohoof 1

I do. It's good to only shampoo like once every three days so the natural oils on your scalp can build up (which healthy hair needs). I condition a lot too because I like feeling like a hair advertisement when I step out the shower xD Ooooo so free!! So loose!! So bouncy!!

• Brohoof 1

I never thought about it before; I've just used whatever shampoo came to hand from my parents. Never conditioner. That said, I want to research it more now, given that I may start buying my own in the near future.

When I use to have long hair(really long hair) I wouldn't stand a day without shampoo... The oil that apparently covers my scalp would irritate the roots of my hair. Causing them to fall of rapidly. 

I heard about the conditioner method. I only last 4 days...

Edited by Fragilistic

I'm not familiar with shampoo's but I use shower gel or that's what's on the bottle. I think that's just shampoo, if so I use shampoo each time I take a shower. I don't think too much about what I use for cleaning myself up, usually I'm not the cleanest but it doesn't hurt to try.

An alternative to oil is using baking soda and vinegar. I tried doing this, and while it works for some, my hair never got over the eww gross period, even after several weeks, so I gave up.

I also tried using just conditioner. No go.

Shampoo works like detergents, in that they strip everything, good and bad, from your hair. The reason it was invented was because water was getting harder and harder, so soap was no longer working to clean the hair as well. Shampoo was too harsh on the hair, so conditioner was added to put the smoothness back into hair.

I use a non-sulfate shampoo, and conditioner. I have quite long hair, and wash it every other to every third day.

If I could chose myself, I would just use water since shampoo and all these other things you can get for your hair and skin usually irritates my skin and make it itch a bit. I'm allergic to so many things you know... However, my hair is very thick or however you say it, therefore, I need shampoo since water won't do it.

Noo.

Never give your hair that. Coconut oil is your safest bet. However, only use it on the tips.

Sulfate free shampoo is the best and most natural shampoo there is. It helps hair growth, and will only strip away the bad.

It does not damage your scalp.

Soap too is bad for hair. Whilst it gets out the bad smell, and cleans the scalp, it is bad for the scalp.

The scalp is very delicate and I use only the finest sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, and give the bottom a touch of coconut oil.

YZPCZXH.png

I LOVE it when my hair feels like it's been rubbed down with bacon grease and my head itches but I get caught up in a blizzard every time I scratch! 

Not.

Of course I use shampoo! lol I get bad dandruff and grease when I go without a shower for even one day...

• Brohoof 2