Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MrPandaa

I'm Irish, English, German, Scottish, Cherokee, and African. My dad is half black and half white.

Serious question now. Do you think it is possible to have an accent genetically??

The reason I ask is because while at church camp, we had a speaker come in from Africa. While she was listening to me talk, she said you have a South African accent. I've never been outside the US. If you do choose to reply, can you be polite and courteous please????

Naw. In my experience, accent is all based on where you were raised and the way they speak (with some exceptions of course). I was raised in California, and living in Utah now, even after 10 years, people still recognize I'm not Utah-born. I also lived in northern England for two years and people asked me if I was Irish (I think that happened because I was using English phrases but without the accent and the people that asked had never met a Californian. *shrug*)

An example of an exception: while in England, I learned that accents change about every 10 miles (no joke!) and I have a friend from Liverpool. The people from Liverpool have a VERY distinct accent called "scouse". He was raised there, but his father hated the sound of the accent so he made an effort to teach his children a clearer accent. I never guessed he was from Liverpool by the way he spoke.

However, I know your physical characteristics can be traced genetically. Another experience in England: I met an Indian man who had traveled the world at least twice (naval engineer) and the first time we met, he asked if my ancestors were from near the Black Sea (Hungary and Romania are where my ancestors are from, and both are near the Black Sea). He said my facial structure was similar to all the people's that he had seen in that area on his travels! I was shocked he could get that from just my face!

• Brohoof 2

My mom's side is all from England and Wales. My dad's side is from England and Hungary. The Hungarian side makes it difficult for finding distant relatives, seeing as they don't really speak English and we don't speak Hungarian or Romanian (the town my great-grandparents came from was given to Romania after WWII). People see or hear my last name and get really confused. They all think it is Polish or Czech because it starts with Cz but sounds like an S

Oh, interesting...I don't think I've seen that combination before! :) Very cool.  Do you think that someday you'll learn Romanian or Hungarian?  And would you be alright telling me your last name?  Of course, I completely understand if you don't want to.

100 Viking: Norwegian and Danish.

Woohoo, go Scandinavia!! :D I'd estimate that I am a bit more than half--maybe up to 3/4--Norwegian and Danish.  I wonder if the two of us are distant cousins or something.

My mom's side where Spanish Conquistadors and my dad's were Aztecs(or some little nameless tribe up in Baja California).

My dad's side also fought under Pancho Villa, great Mexican revolutionary hero.

Wow, that's really cool!  You have quite a rich Spanish history, my friend. :) I'd love to say that one of my relatives fought in some great war or something, but I believe I'd be lying to say so.  Oh, and hablas español?

Hmm, let's see.

I'm English, French, Native American, Italian, Greek, a little German, and some others. 

I can't remember if there's any others. :huh:

Oh, and definietly some Brony/Pegasister. ;)

Alas, being of Brony/Pegasister descent is extremely rare in my family. -_-

O_O Whoa, you're cool.  That's just about every culture that I have a fascination with! :yay:

And I know dem feels there.  The Brony/Pegasister is not strong with this one's line.

My whole family is Irish; from my immediate family to my ancestors.

Our blood is alcohol and we love to party.
We take our ancestry seriously and embrace it all 100%

I don't have an accent, but I'm about 60% Irish.

Ooooh, Irish!!  I love Irish stuff!  Someday, I am going to learn Irish Gaelic. :D I just love listening to the language and speaking it--it just sounds so cool!

I'm Irish, English, German, Scottish, Cherokee, and African. My dad is half black and half white.

Serious question now. Do you think it is possible to have an accent genetically??

The reason I ask is because while at church camp, we had a speaker come in from Africa. While she was listening to me talk, she said you have a South African accent. I've never been outside the US. If you do choose to reply, can you be polite and courteous please????

Wow, that's a neat combination there.

Wait a sec...that's actually somewhat similar to what I have.  No African, and I don't think I have any English in me, but I've got the rest, especially Scottish.  I am quite Scottish.  And either 1/32 or 1/64 Cherokee. :lol: Not enough to get scholarships for it, but enough to say I'm part Native American!

And to answer your question, I do think it is possible to genetically have an accent, because if you think about it, the shape of your mouth will decide your accent probably just as much as your location, and I'll bet that every genetic descent has different shapes, sizes, etc. of mouth and parts thereof.

Mother is Australian.

Father is Italian.

And I'm also like 5% British, according to my Mum.

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh, omigosh!!!  Australia is sooooo coooll!!!  And Australian accents are just...amazing.

And Italian is cool, too.  I like the language (I've been teaching myself Italian for about a year now).  Je parle l'Ialiano?

I am German, Dutch, Irish and Welsh as well as I am a 2nd generation Canadian 

Oooh, neat.  I know only a few Canadians, but one of them is one of my best friends. :D

@@PE Brony Whoa, cool story, bro.  Thank you for the enlightenment--I never knew a lot of that stuff!   And what you said about that Indian man, I've always wanted to learn how to do that, to be able to look at someone's face and know where they're from.  That would be sooo cool!

Anyways, thanks to all of you for responding!  Y'all are awesome.

I am of English descent with a little German and perhaps other European... I am not positive on that, but I do know this:

My 5th great (great-great-great-great-great) grandfather is Daniel Boone himself.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, that's really cool! You have quite a rich Spanish history, my friend. :) I'd love to say that one of my relatives fought in some great war or something, but I believe I'd be lying to say so. Oh, and hablas español?

Por supuesto, mi buen!

Es mi primer lenguaje, sabes. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

100% Irish for the most part, considering I am a Irish immigrant.......Getting into the US military was rather difficult with alot of my family members (including the uncle closest related to me) being in the IRA. 

Edited by Miaq_The_Truthful

(edited)

From asking around my family I gathered. I am Czechoslovakian,British English, and Irish. At least from what I could collect.  :derp: 

Secretly I am an Earth Pony from Equestria..

Edited by Noire Panzer
  • Brohoof 1

British, Irish, Scottish, Polish, German, French, Czechoslovakian, Ukrainian, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish

And for a fun fact of the day, I'm related to Shakespeare through marriage @A@

• Brohoof 1

I'm essentially 100% Irish.

Some of my maternal ancestors were apparently a French Huguenot family who escaped to Ireland after the French King Charles IX allowed their persecution in the 1500's.

On my paternal side, my family name is a Gaelicized version of a Viking name, but they settled in Ireland in the 900's.

• Brohoof 1

I am Polish, German, Scotch-Irish, and tiny bit Native American. My ancestry dates back to Mary Queen of Scots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots) through my mother, and my Polish great grandmother Irene Kaspar on my bio dad's side survived the Holocaust. She was on a train to Auswitch, and she outsmarted a Nazi, telling him that she had to go to the bathroom. He turned around, and she jumped off the train. And my bio dad's mom is a percentage Lakota Tribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_people). So yeah that's my ancestry :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My dad's side is from the South. Unfortunately they fought for the Confederacy and we have the photos to prove it. As far as I know they're Protestant English/Scottish but way back. I don't know how far back. I got the middle name of my great grandmother from my dad's side, which is unfortunate because it passes as an Asian name as well. With my Japan Studies degree I get a lot of baffled looks when I walk into an interview with Japanese folk.

My mom's side is less straightforward. My grandfather immigrated from Germany and my grandmother's father immigrated from Poland during the 1910's and most likely took advantage of the Homestead Act, settling in Iowa and farming like most folks did in the Great Plains. On my grandfather's side, I'm second generation American, third on my grandmother's side.

My great grandma Z was the best. She'd speak Polish to confuse everyone else. Never learned a lick of Polish or German, ended up with Japanese.

Edited by Duster Dawnhorse
  • Brohoof 2

I am of English descent with a little German and perhaps other European... I am not positive on that, but I do know this:

My 5th great (great-great-great-great-great) grandfather is Daniel Boone himself.

Wow, you're related to Daniel Boone??  That's so cool!!  And a direct descendant, too!  Never thought I'd be able to say that I know someone (albeit through Internet) who is directly related to Daniel Boone. :yay:

Por supuesto, mi buen!

Es mi primer lenguaje, sabes. 

Oh, es?  Actualemente, no sé! :lol: Lo siento si mi español es malo--es mi segundo lenguaje, y no lo ha usé en un tiempo largo.

100% Irish for the most part, considering I am a Irish immigrant.......Getting into the US military was rather difficult with alot of my family members (including the uncle closest related to me) being in the IRA. 

Oh, you're an Irish immigrant?  Interesting.

IRA?  Uhh...*Google searches* oh, the Irish Republican Army? *skims Wikipedia article* oohhh, I can see why the military would be a little cautious.  So, i suppose this should probably go in the debate forum, but whatev--what do you think about the situation out there (in Northern Ireland, that is)?  I mostly ask because I trust a living person's opinion better than a Wikipedia article. :P

I have Swiss German, Polish (maternal), English, and Irish (paternal) blood.  Rather typical American combination.

I take most pride in the Swiss heritage though, since I actually am a Swiss citizen myself through my grandmother.

Swiss, eh?  Cool!  I actually don't remember having any Swedes in here before. (Which is probably why I had to look up "what do you call a person from Switzerland" on Google just now.) :lol:

Have you gotten to go to Switzerland?  If so, how is it?  I've been considering adding it to my list of "bucket list" places visit.

From asking around my family I gathered. I am Czechoslovakian,British English, and Irish. At least from what I could collect.  

Secretly I am an Earth Pony from Equestria..

Hey, Noire! ;) Nice to see somepony I already know on here.

You say Czechoslovakian--does that mean that your relatives lived there before and/or during World War II?  And I just realized how far some of your ascendants (if you can call them that) would have had to travel--whereas Ireland and the United Kingdom are right next to each other, and spill over into one another often, Czechoslovakia was way down near Germany!  I suppose it's not as large a gap as, say, some of the part-African-part-European peeps I've met, but I guess that I wasn't thinking about that all the other times I commented on nationality.

British, Irish, Scottish, Polish, German, French, Czechoslovakian, Ukrainian, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish

And for a fun fact of the day, I'm related to Shakespeare through marriage @A@

Wow, first Daniel Boone, now Willy Shakes himself!  This certainly is my lucky day. :yay:

And holy ponies on skateboards, that is a lot of words.  I'm going to read it again to make sure I processed it right.

*reads again*

Wow, you have practically half of Europe's total nationalities in you!  You must have a very interesting facial structure, with all those different influences.  It seems that most of you comes from Eastern Europe, though, with some Western influences, and they seem to be centered around Central-Eastern Europe.  Interesting...I wonder if I could graph that...sorry, I'm in Calculus right now, so my analytical side is turned way, way, waaaay up at the moment.

I'm essentially 100% Irish.

Some of my maternal ancestors were apparently a French Huguenot family who escaped to Ireland after the French King Charles IX allowed their persecution in the 1500's.

On my paternal side, my family name is a Gaelicized version of a Viking name, but they settled in Ireland in the 900's.

Wow, that's a neat ancestry!  I wish I knew this kind of stuff...I should start looking into my own line a bit more, instead of just asking people on the Internet what there's is.  I'm super curious as to what your surname is, but I completely understand if you don't feel comfortable telling me. :)

Oh, and GO VIKINGS!!! *brohoofs*

I am german/italian descendant. Yeh.

Coolsies!  I don't think I've ever seen that combination.  Do you speak either?  Je parle un peu. :)

I am Polish, German, Scotch-Irish, and tiny bit Native American. My ancestry dates back to Mary Queen of Scots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots) through my mother, and my Polish great grandmother Irene Kaspar on my bio dad's side survived the Holocaust. She was on a train to Auswitch, and she outsmarted a Nazi, telling him that she had to go to the bathroom. He turned around, and she jumped off the train. And my bio dad's mom is a percentage Lakota Tribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_people). So yeah that's my ancestry 

Wow, first Daniel Boone, then Shakespeare, now Mary, Queen of Scots??  Wow.  And the rest of your description is pretty boss, too. :D I know for certain I haven't seen anyone with ancestry from the Lakota Tribe before.

My dad's side is from the South. Unfortunately they fought for the Confederacy and we have the photos to prove it. As far as I know they're Protestant English/Scottish but way back. I don't know how far back. I got the middle name of my great grandmother from my dad's side, which is unfortunate because it passes as an Asian name as well. With my Japan Studies degree I get a lot of baffled looks when I walk into an interview with Japanese folk.

My mom's side is less straightforward. My grandfather immigrated from Germany and my grandmother's father immigrated from Poland during the 1910's and most likely took advantage of the Homestead Act, settling in Iowa and farming like most folks did in the Great Plains. On my grandfather's side, I'm second generation American, third on my grandmother's side.

My great grandma Z was the best. She'd speak Polish to confuse everyone else. Never learned a lick of Polish or German, ended up with Japanese.

Whoa.  Very cool.  You know a good deal about your ancestry.

Hah, your great grandmother sounds awesome! XD

• Brohoof 1

Hey, Noire! ;) Nice to see somepony I already know on here.

You say Czechoslovakian--does that mean that your relatives lived there before and/or during World War II?  And I just realized how far some of your ascendants (if you can call them that) would have had to travel--whereas Ireland and the United Kingdom are right next to each other, and spill over into one another often, Czechoslovakia was way down near Germany!  I suppose it's not as large a gap as, say, some of the part-African-part-European peeps I've met, but I guess that I wasn't thinking about that all the other times I commented on nationality.

It was before World War II. My great great great grandmother was some sort of Czech royalty and she decided she would immigrate over into the US. After immigrating over she met my great great great grandfather who ran a deli shop (i think that's what the shop was) even though she didn't know much English for a while she still came by that shop often. Now for the rest of my family sides I am unsure about where the Irish is from but the English side I heard my grand father got contacted by the Levitt family saying he was one of the heirs to the family but he decided we didn't need any of their inheritance. Shame though it would be interesting to have officially been one of the Levitts

• Brohoof 2

Wow, you're related to Daniel Boone??  That's so cool!!  And a direct descendant, too!  Never thought I'd be able to say that I know someone (albeit through Internet) who is directly related to Daniel Boone. :yay:

Oh, es?  Actualemente, no sé! :lol: Lo siento si mi español es malo--es mi segundo lenguaje, y no lo ha usé en un tiempo largo.

Oh, you're an Irish immigrant?  Interesting.

IRA?  Uhh...*Google searches* oh, the Irish Republican Army? *skims Wikipedia article* oohhh, I can see why the military would be a little cautious.  So, i suppose this should probably go in the debate forum, but whatev--what do you think about the situation out there (in Northern Ireland, that is)?  I mostly ask because I trust a living person's opinion better than a Wikipedia article. :P

That whole bloody mess that was the "troubles" in the 70's and 80s with all that crap is what caused alot of my family to leave. It's calmed down a bit, but most of my family still views the people of north Ireland as a bunch of crown humping traitors. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am 90% Saguaro Cactus, and 10% Caucasian. 

Also, on my mother's side I am related to a famous killer from the same state I am, named Lizzie Borden. Take that as you will. I'm also related to Jesse James, who was a fairly famous outlaw, on my father's side of the family..

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

Swiss, eh?  Cool!  I actually don't remember having any Swedes in here before. (Which is probably why I had to look up "what do you call a person from Switzerland" on Google just now.) :lol:

Have you gotten to go to Switzerland?  If so, how is it?  I've been considering adding it to my list of "bucket list" places visit.

I actually have.  I went there with my grandmother when I was sixteen and everything is so beautiful-- I was on both snow-covered mountains and craggy forested hills, the views from them were great!

The cities are pretty nice too (I was in Zurich, Appenzell, Lucern, Bern, and Winterthur) and the train system is awesome!  It's a shame that trains aren't more popular in America, they allow such a nice view of the countryside as they pass by.

• Brohoof 2

It is interesting, actually. It turns out that muscle coordination and reflex for sharp-shooting is genetically ingrained in people...

I held a shotgun one time for a 4th of July skeet shoot. Never held a gun before, let alone fired one.

Hit with every pull of the trigger. Also, if Daniel Boone knew how to "step lightly," I guess I picked up on that as well.

*Thinks* I have the makings of a spy in my blood, don't I? :fiery:

• Brohoof 1

Well, I just recently discovered that, my family (mostly my mothers side), have records dating back to 230 A.D.   Do NOT ask how, b/c i was very skeptic about it, until I saw it myself, when I traveled to Spain.  Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain it, b/c my grandfather has control over it, but I was given an third set of records from my family dating back to the 1400's.  Its pretty interesting b/c im always curious about my ancestral line, :D.    My father's side on the other hand dates back also to the 1400's and to top that off, I had a laugh b/c my last name is Rojas and when I saw the origin of my last name..............................it was Roxas.   Hilarious, tbh.  

BTW, if anyone asks, they were all written in Spanish/Latin.  I was able to identify it fast due to the appearance of the letters.  Also, just b/c I have family records dating back to the 1400's does not mean I am not related to Ezio Auditore, :lol:

• Brohoof 2

French-Irish with other bits of Europe mixed in.

>French-Irish

>loves Russia

>because logic

• Brohoof 1

@@MrPandaa,

I know a bit of italian, but german is really hard for me, 'cause I can have ancestry german/italian, but i'm not anyone of it x3 

Gotcha.  German is not an easy language.

At least, I don't think it is. :P I haven't actually learned any yet.

It was before World War II. My great great great grandmother was some sort of Czech royalty and she decided she would immigrate over into the US. After immigrating over she met my great great great grandfather who ran a deli shop (i think that's what the shop was) even though she didn't know much English for a while she still came by that shop often. Now for the rest of my family sides I am unsure about where the Irish is from but the English side I heard my grand father got contacted by the Levitt family saying he was one of the heirs to the family but he decided we didn't need any of their inheritance. Shame though it would be interesting to have officially been one of the Levitts

Very interesting.  Mmmm...deli sandwiches....*shakes head*  uh, sorry.  Zoned out there for a second.

Wow, your gramps got called up by the Levitts?  And he turned them down??

Well then. :mellow:

That whole bloody mess that was the "troubles" in the 70's and 80s with all that crap is what caused alot of my family to leave. It's calmed down a bit, but most of my family still views the people of north Ireland as a bunch of crown humping traitors. 

I see.  Well, I applaud your family for getting out of the mess while they could.  And thank you for indulging my curiosity--I can tell you feel somewhat strongly about this issue.

I am 90% Saguaro Cactus, and 10% Caucasian. 

Also, on my mother's side I am related to a famous killer from the same state I am, named Lizzie Borden. Take that as you will. I'm also related to Jesse James, who was a fairly famous outlaw, on my father's side of the family..

Remind me to never tick you off.  And to never hug you without putting on sixteen winter coats first. :lol:

In all seriousness, that's a pretty neat legacy!  Well, not exactly a legacy you should follow, but it's still pretty cool. :D

(Yay, another important person posted on my thing!)

I actually have.  I went there with my grandmother when I was sixteen and everything is so beautiful-- I was on both snow-covered mountains and craggy forested hills, the views from them were great!

The cities are pretty nice too (I was in Zurich, Appenzell, Lucern, Bern, and Winterthur) and the train system is awesome!  It's a shame that trains aren't more popular in America, they allow such a nice view of the countryside as they pass by.

Wow, you've got me sold.  Sounds like heaven to me. :) I freaking love mountains.  (Yes, bolded, underlined, and italicized.)

I totally agree with you on trains--it's a shame that our only trains are in theme parks, underground, or for just transporting goods.

Well, I've done some digging since I last posted here, and it turns out I'm primarily Mediterranean European, with a bit of Native American.

Oh, neat!  How much Native American, do you think?  'Cause if you're still in school like me, you can get some pretty nice scholarships if you can prove it and have enough to be considered truly Native American.

It is interesting, actually. It turns out that muscle coordination and reflex for sharp-shooting is genetically ingrained in people...

I held a shotgun one time for a 4th of July skeet shoot. Never held a gun before, let alone fired one.

Hit with every pull of the trigger. Also, if Daniel Boone knew how to "step lightly," I guess I picked up on that as well.

*Thinks* I have the makings of a spy in my blood, don't I? 

Whoa...you could totally be an epic ninjy dude!! B)

Well, I just recently discovered that, my family (mostly my mothers side), have records dating back to 230 A.D.   Do NOT ask how, b/c i was very skeptic about it, until I saw it myself, when I traveled to Spain.  Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain it, b/c my grandfather has control over it, but I was given an third set of records from my family dating back to the 1400's.  Its pretty interesting b/c im always curious about my ancestral line, .    My father's side on the other hand dates back also to the 1400's and to top that off, I had a laugh b/c my last name is Rojas and when I saw the origin of my last name..............................it was Roxas.   Hilarious, tbh.  

BTW, if anyone asks, they were all written in Spanish/Latin.  I was able to identify it fast due to the appearance of the letters.  Also, just b/c I have family records dating back to the 1400's does not mean I am not related to Ezio Auditore, 

Wow, that is really neat!!  Congratulations on finding so much history about your family line, !!

the farthest back anybody has traced my ancestry is to the eastern side of scotland way back when the Picts were still kicking roman flank. so I think thats pretty cool.

Noice! :D

French-Irish with other bits of Europe mixed in.
>French-Irish
>loves Russia
>because logic

Yup--because dem logicks says iz truth. :P

That's an interesting combination that I don't think I've seen before.

• Brohoof 1