S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

When I seen the square box with the 6 keyholes, it made me think up a new theory. The mane 6 ponies will become alicorns. Celestia says "the box has 6 lockes that needs 6 keys" I remember seeing Celestria using her horn to unlock  a magically locked door. I have a feeling that the box that sprouted from the Harmony Tree could only be unlocked by alicorn horn magic.

And how long has Princess Celestria, Princess Luna, and Discord been around?

Is Discord an evil vilain, or just a jerk-troll?

• Brohoof 1

Seems like I've got the minority opinion again. I have no idea what it is that people saw in these two episodes. All I saw was a bunch of loosely connected plot points glued together with overly-broad humor and unearned sentimentality. The qualities I usually admire from the show (vivid characterization, clever jokes and wild creative flourishes) were all but absent here. Hell, I think I even liked Equestria Girls better - something I never though I'd find myself saying.

I'll cut it some slack though. It looks like they're taking Twilicorn seriously, Discord was occasionally funny and the promise of a season-long story arc might just be what the show needs to keep itself fresh.

5/10

• Brohoof 1

I think it'd be great if these bosses represented some individual fear each pony has. And that they'd be very literal so that all audiences would understand them...

...except for Rarity's, which is revealed last - she has to fight a giant crab. "A CRAB? [whining] Oh, why doesn't mine make any sense?!"

Yeah

I can't think of all  the bosses.

Rarity-- A Giant Crab

Fluttershy-- A dragon

Twilight -- A giant clock?

Pinkie Pie -- ????

Applejack -- A Bat Pony

Rainbow Dash -- ????

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson

Of course, that's just my headcanon that explains the inconsistencies from the flashbacks, such as the fact that through the first few minutes of the flashback, Luna seems to be talking to thin air.

Another strange thing is the whole "Man, Twilight, you might be shitty at flying, but damn, when rocks and lazers threaten to kill you, you know how to dodge like a champion!"

Oh, and NMM's voice was different from the pilot. Less like her pilot rendition, and more like...Luna herself, actually. I thought that was strange. It was less "Why yes, I am evil," and more "KILL!"

I wish that the flashbacks could have just been colors, shapes, and noises, instead of a fully rendered, crystal clear vision, if that makes sense.

I blame, as you have, the juju of the potion.

Seems like I've got the minority opinion again. I have no idea what it is that people saw in these two episodes. All I saw was a bunch of loosely connected plot points glued together with overly-broad humor and unearned sentimentality. The qualities I usually admire from the show (vivid characterization, clever jokes and wild creative flourishes) were all but absent here. Hell, I think I even liked Equestria Girls better - something I never though I'd find myself saying.

I'll cut it some slack though. It looks like they're taking Twilicorn seriously, Discord was occasionally funny and the promise of a season-long story arc might just be what the show needs to keep itself fresh.

5/10

I can agree with you some, I though Twilight's characterization was pretty good. There was a lack of clever jokes, but I guess this was meant to be more action like and so not much room for them.

Also what do you mean by "wild creative flourishes"?

• Brohoof 1

"wild creative flourishes"?

By that I mean moments. The "woah-worthy" moments that instantly pop into my head when I recall the episode. They can be visual (the sun and windmill mimicking the movements of a clock in Lesson Zero) or they can be conceptual (Sombra's door, or the reverse-gravity slide in The Crystal Empire) or a combo of both (Pinkie Pie's breakdown in Party of One). 

They attempted to do memorable scenes here, such as the flashbacks and the few fight scenes, but to me they felt half-hearted and underwritten. It's hard to really explain why since I've only seen it once.

Anyway, I hope that clears things up!

Edited by Rudy Redlin
  • Brohoof 1

Ok, not sure if anyone brought this up yet, I didn't want to look through 38 pages. In season 3 when Sombra uses his magic, and when Tia uses it, as well as Twilight, they use something called Black magic. But then in season 4, Twilight uses the same magic, but it is called Alicorn Magic. Is this foreshadowing or something? Any ideas? Any head cannon?

So, what you are implying is that the events of Season 1, 2 and 3, all happened in disorder and was never shown in chronological order? That is kind of not possible since plenty of times have one episode talked about events that happened in previous episodes in past tense.

Also, as you pointed out yourself, Winter Warp Up happens before Fall Weather Friends, and Fall Weather Friends happens before Hearth's Warming Eve. That means that we had a winter, then fall, then winter again, and only one year has passed? Well, according that ONE SINGLE LINE by Celestia; yes, yes it did.

I recall reading somewhere that the events of Season 1 weren't in chronological order (I wish I remembered where) so who's to day that seasons 2 and 3 were in chronological order either?

And just because one episode references another previous episode doesn't mean that ALL of them happened in the order they were aired.  Scootaloo referring to the events of Sonic Rainboom in Sleepless in Ponyville only establishes order for those two episodes- that Sonic Rainboom takes place before Sleepless In Ponyville.

Just have fun with this and don't overthink it too much.

• Brohoof 1

By that I mean moments. The "woah-worthy" moments that instantly pop into my head when I recall the episode. They can be visual (the sun and windmill mimicking the movements of a clock in Lesson Zero) or they can be conceptual (Sombra's door, or the reverse-gravity slide in The Crystal Empire) or a combo of both (Pinkie Pie's breakdown in Party of One). 

They attempted to do memorable scenes here, such as the flashbacks and the few fight scenes, but to me they felt half-hearted and underwritten. It's hard to really explain why since I've only seen it once.

I know you said to me, but come on you gotta admit the part where Twilight was crying over Celestia when she was down and she said "Why Luna?" was pretty heart gutting.

I dunno i guess that was just a moment some people felt some didn't. :D

Anyone else think this season is going to carry a whole bunch of tentacle jokes?

DANG IT!  I WAS TRYING NOT TO THINK ABOUT THAT!

Evan%27s_Spiked_Tentacles_of_Forced_Intr

Darn it Discord what have you done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwRJGCmGwo

I've got a feeling that, as time goes on and more people see them with multiple viewings, the majority are going to look back and say these were two really great episodes.

I'm amazed at what I'm seeing the second go around - the writing, animation, "camera work", everything. For everypony: make sure you watch them again, and soon.

I've watched it 4 times now, and actually like it more now.

5/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kobnsqo2fSM

If you don't know what other people see in this episode, you have no one to blame but yourself.  There are nearly 800 posts explaining several reasons why they liked this episode.  Try reading at least a few of them.  Or check out one of the dozens of reviews on YouTube (like mine).  Note that I'm talking about understanding, not agreeing.

"Loosely connected plot points"?  First of all, Discord was the villain.  Confusion comes with the character.  Also, I don't think you understand what a plot point is.  The Elements of Harmony and the Everfree Forest are the only plot points of the episode.

I can agree with you on the humor.

"Sentimentality"?  You mean like making Twilight uncomfortable using her wings and being called "princess"?  Like so many bronies?  You mean like showing Nightmare Moon trying to murder Celestia (and nearly succeeding).  If you felt no emotions watching this episode, you aren't human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIXM3_p8D_k

If you weren't impressed with that, your standards are way to high.

Both your posts are filled with Faust Follower nonsense.

Edited by Forlong

I know you said to me, but come on you gotta admit the part where Twilight was crying over Celestia when she was down and she said "Why Luna?" was pretty heart gutting.

I dunno i guess that was just a moment some people felt some didn't. biggrin.png

*shrugs* I'm one of those that didn't. It was a well-shot scene, I'll give it that much, but the delivery of it was way too quick to make an impact. Before I even had time to process what was happening, Celestia had already gotten up.

That whole flashback was underwhelming, really. I thought Nightmare Moon's reign of terror was supposed to last longer than two minutes...

the delivery of it was way too quick to make an impact. Before I even had time to process what was happening, Celestia had already gotten up

Gotta agree, that scene had a lot of potential to be very powerful, But both the Discord & Nightmare Moon scene didn't have enough screen time to pull much emotion out of me.

• Brohoof 1

Anyone else think this season is going to carry a whole bunch of tentacle jokes?

The only tentacle jokes I imagine to occur are the ones the fans ma..........actually no, you might be right. Legend of Korra spurred tentacle hentai jokes near its end, and no MLP. Looks like a trend is started to develop v_v

Man these things are everywhere, it's quite funny.

img-2036687-2-medium.png

OH. MY. GOD. NO WORDS. I find this all the more hilarious because MGR was one of my favorite games napg.pngnapg.pngnapg.png

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

Our fandom is the fastest ever.

I still have much to learn about this fandom, it would seem. But then again, it is why I love it so much more than the other fandoms I've seen napg.png

The season opener was amazing. From Discord's return to the story in general. Plus the fact that it looks like we're FINALLY going to get a season where a major plotline is shown at the beginning and continues throughout the season!

Here's my two bit's: i absolutely loved these episodes, what a brilliant way to start the new season. HOWEVER, i do have a couple of nitpicks with the episodes. the biggest nitpick i have is during the second episode just as twilight is almost eaten by a crocodile.

the other ponies sending twilight away...............WHAT!

why did they send twilight away? there was no need to send twilight away. how many times has twilight proven she can take care of herself. who faced nightmare moon alone before the other arrived? who worked out how to use the elements of harmony? who stood up to discord the longest and was the first to change back? who found out that cadence was queen chrysalis? and who worked out how to save the crystal empire? there was no reason to send twilight away other than to make the story last longer and it kinda ticks me off.

my other nitpick is in the first episode, why did it take twilight so long to work out that she was seeing the past when she first drank the potion? when princess celestia didn't try to protect twilight from nightmare moon she should of realised that it was the past, just like harry potter did in the chamber of secrets.

aside from those nitpicks the episodes were brilliant and definiatly a good sign of a good season.

'In summary the whole episode was on a completely different scale. AJ really certified herself as second in charge of the group in my eye's'

There is no rank structure! That was the whole point of these episodes, to show them as equal, even if twi is a princess.

It's going to be a while before I can properly express my feelings and vote. When I'm really critical of something to begin with, and then I end up liking it, I want to know why I liked it. 

Also, am I the only one who looooooooved that little Pinkie and Twilight "A boo yeah!" bit?? :D

I like looking at both points (Both negative and positive) and I want to say that this isn't as perfect as everyone says it is.

Meghan McCarthy has evolved as a writer and learned from her past mistakes (Crystal Empire) and she has written a 2 parter that is just as good if not better than Return of Harmony. I'd give this episode a 4 out of 5 stars.