S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

when I was watching it with my little brothers, we saw the tentacle-thorn thingie ( looks kind of like venoms symbiote...) reach out and grab celestia, and we looked at eachother, and screamed...

SPIDERMAN-MY LITTLE PONY CROSSOVER!!!!!

There is no rank structure! That was the whole point of these episodes, to show them as equal, even if twi is a princess.

I ask you who seems to take charge of the group when things get difficult Twilight. she is and always has ben the leader of the group not better just the leader. In real Life most Groups even close friends has a leader type person.

as for why they sent twilight away they were valid points. she was The Princess of Equestria at that point in time. they were wrong in doing so, but did have good reason for thinking what they did. ill admit my first thought was ok send her back to protect the Royal line, um how are you going to zap the bad guy without her?

Edited by Noodles

I ask you who seems to take charge of the group when things get difficult Twilight. she is and always has ben the leader of the group not better just the leader. In real Life most Groups even close friends has a leader type person.

as for why they sent twilight away they were valid points. she was The Princess of Equestria at that point in time. they were wrong in doing so, but did have good reason for thinking what they did. ill admit my first thought was ok send her back to protect the Royal line, um how are you going to zap the bad guy without her?

Fair play to you, but there is a difference between someone who takes charge and an actual rank structure, where people's decisions get overruled because of social standing or a pecking order, all I'm saying is I hope that doesn't happen.

I thought it was okay. Not the best season premiere, but I'm more "hyped" for the coming episodes of the season. I was impressed by the presentation of lighting, though. They really did a great job with that. The modified introduction has my stamp of approval as well. The flashbacks to important events were fun, but it almost felt forced into the story.

If I had to rate the premiere on a scale from 1-10, then I give it a 7

Anyone else think this season is going to carry a whole bunch of tentacle jokes? Because obvious R34 stuff I'm sure that this will be the bane of the joke.

Well, I doubt the plants/tentacles will show up again honestly, unless Discord has some more seeds planted somewhere. I doubt the characters would actually joke about it either, not really that kind of show. :lol:

It's got an ask blog already.

http://asktwilightscepter.tumblr.com/

Seriously? I mean the scepter jokes are little bit funny and everything but I'm a bit tired of it honestly. :huh:

I thought the episodes were really good. They weren't the best, but it was my second favorite opening after the one from season two. The ending is getting me a bit excited for the rest of the season, and I really liked the flashbacks, but they felt like they weren't needed. I'm probably watch it again sometime, which is something I don't usually do. 

Discord also sang a bit of Winter Wrap Up, so there was that.

• Brohoof 1

I thought the episodes were really good. They weren't the best, but it was my second favorite opening after the one from season two. The ending is getting me a bit excited for the rest of the season, and I really liked the flashbacks, but they felt like they weren't needed. I'm probably watch it again sometime, which is something I don't usually do. 

Discord also sang a bit of Winter Wrap Up, so there was that.

Yea i thought it was great too. When Discord sang winter wrap up my eyes glowed and i felt so good (:

• Brohoof 2

Most dramatic episode we've had thus far :o

Urgh, everyone please refrain from calling the plants tentacles...*cringe.*

Yeah, those sharp thorns on them would hurt, ouch! That's not erotic at all :(

• Brohoof 1

Most dramatic episode we've had thus far :o

Yeah, those sharp thorns on them would hurt, ouch! That's not erotic at all :(

i agree. Although the hydra in feeling pinkie keen was pretty dramatic. and So was the landslide when they were climbing the mountain but these were mere moments. This episode was all around great.

And Discord is the most lovable dick ever. Seriously how could one not love Discord?

• Brohoof 1

It was so awesome. There were like 3 whole fight scenes. Who doesn't like my little ponies kicking butt?

The hydra scene is one of my favorites from the show, but this was two episodes of that. 

I'd just like to say---

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE DRUGS IN THIS EPISODE??? You have chemicals that change color, and drink some strange leche, and have VISIONS, and that will solve your problems, little kids? Then Q's crunching on, like, crystal meth, but we have to find the PLANT, and it turns out he's eatin' SEEDS!!!

But the Leceh! Over and over again!

Ok, not sure if anyone brought this up yet, I didn't want to look through 38 pages. In season 3 when Sombra uses his magic, and when Tia uses it, as well as Twilight, they use something called Black magic. But then in season 4, Twilight uses the same magic, but it is called Alicorn Magic. Is this foreshadowing or something? Any ideas? Any head cannon?

Well, I doubt the plants/tentacles will show up again honestly, unless Discord has some more seeds planted somewhere. I doubt the characters would actually joke about it either, not really that kind of show.

Yeah while the plants are out of the picture.

Well the villain in the power ponies episode has tentacle like hair. I know they aren't really tentacles, but the way they move are kind of are like that XD.  I swear season 4 is going to be the tentacle season lol.

Fair play to you, but there is a difference between someone who takes charge and an actual rank structure, where people's decisions get overruled because of social standing or a pecking order, all I'm saying is I hope that doesn't happen.

I Don't see this happing in the mind of Twilight they are her friends not her subject. if anything its her Friends that are making the bigger deal of her being a princess.

on that note I agree with you twilight going all bossy and pulling rank would suck and I believe would be out of character.

Edited by Noodles
  • Brohoof 1

The Mrs. and I got to watch both parts last night. We both liked it and a part of me is glad that they can not longer use the Elements of Harmony to solve the problems anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about a quest to find the 6 keys. 

Considering how unsure I was at the end of the last season I've got to say hats off to the writers for restoring my faith that they haven't yet jumped the shark. Though now I'm stuck worrying what's in that box...

I liked the background stories, especially since I always wondered why discord had turned to stone in that position. Also really any episode that has Luna or discord in an actually important role is a win to me.

I'm still going to hold off in saying I forgive them for the finally of last season which I despised. I'll have to wait to see how the mane 6 continue to be without all the background fun.

Considering how unsure I was at the end of the last season I've got to say hats off to the writers for restoring my faith that they haven't yet jumped the shark. Though now I'm stuck worrying what's in that box...

I liked the background stories, especially since I always wondered why discord had turned to stone in that position. Also really any episode that has Luna or discord in an actually important role is a win to me.

I'm still going to hold off in saying I forgive them for the finally of last season which I despised. I'll have to wait to see how the mane 6 continue to be without all the background fun that this episode had.

The more I watch this episode, the more I like it.

Is it me or does the animation seem to improve each season? Facial expressions?

Anyway, I think that the point that they are starting to make is the same of the first season: their friendship is important. Of course, the Elements worked with them because of that, and that Applejack was wrong (at least in part) when she said that the elements brought them together. The truth is that their friendship brought the Elements to them. There is also Twilight who seems to be very important for some reason. After all, her cutie mark (so she says) is in the center of the tree, but it could also be that the Element of Magic is just the most important one, since it manifests when the others are present. Am I seeing too much into this?

I couldn't help but notice that the tree also has Luna's and Celestia's cutie marks on it. But not Cadance's. Sot whatever it is, it probably not just about being a princess. The two elders have their cutie marks in the trunk of the tree and the Elements are like it's fruit, having the element of Magic in it's center.

There is also Discord. Was he trying to help (by not helping and letting Twilight understand the problem on her own) or is he scheming to "rebel" now that the Elements are gone? I got this impression, but Fluttershy reminded him of their friendship and he seemed to deflate (literally...). Originally, I wanted him to go bad to being "evil", but I can get used to him like this.

Thoughts? I'm I reading too much into the symbolism of the Tree?

Haven't had time to post my opinions on this until now, but here goes:

Probably the most epic-feeling episode yet. Some have complained about the pacing, but on the whole I thought the pacing was very good, probably the best of all the adventure story episodes, even though these episodes had the most complex storyline yet, with all the flashbacks and stuff.

I think everyone has wanted to see those flashbacks to Nightmare Moon's banishment and Discord getting turned to stone. And to make that actually tie in with the storyline, and explain the origin of the elements at the same time is quite well done. Especially in a limited time frame.

One of the things I have wished for Season 4 is a continuing storyline, ever since Meghan posted a tweet this summer saying "we are doing something different this time" (or something to that effect). I really hoped a season long story arc was that different thing, and with the box and the keys, that has now been confirmed! I am so excited about this. I do hope however, that the characters also evolve over longer arcs. For example, I want to see more than one episode focusing on Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash bonding, or Fluttershy dealing with "reformed" Discord. I'd rather have things like that spread out over the season to create more realistic character arcs.

Attention to detail is very high: they actually bother to mention Cadance's whereabouts, make sure Discord is frozen in the same pose he was in Return of Harmony etc. Might seem obvious, but to me the details give away wether the team behind the show cares or not.

Lines are well balanced between the Mane 6. Even though this is a Twilight-centric episode, it is important to not gloss over the rest of the main characters (especially as the entire point is that they are important to Twilight). Meghan gives good down to earth supporting lines to AJ and Rarity who are the most balanced minds. (This does however leave Pinkie and Rainbow especially with stereotypical lines suited for their character quirks. There is no real way around that though. They can be nuanced during their own centric episodes.)

Daniel Ingram always gets a lot of praise for his songs, but William Anderson's score is never mentioned enough. THE SCORE WAS AMAZING. The music during Nightmare Moon's banishment especially was really really good.

Animation gets better and better, the lighting during the stained glass window scene, the visual fx and camera pans during the Nightmare Moon scene, even subtle stuff like head turns and expressions seem to be more complex and nuanced. Not sure what I think of Celestia's new mouth though. I wonder if the budget for MLP is much higher these days than it was during Season 1 (are those numbers avalible somewhere?)

Seeing Luna in the intro really makes me hope she gets a bigger recurring role in the show. Same goes for Discord.

And I'm already three days too late for this but DAT CANE

• Brohoof 1

I thought this was amazing. I loved the flashbacks; my sister and I were only talking the day before we saw this how wonderful it would be to find out more of Celestia and Luna's history. The Luna-banisment scene made me cry; seeing that Celestia, normally so stoic and calm, cried the whole time she used the elements against her sister, I had tears coming down my face. :(

Like everypony else, I can't wait to see what's in that box. I have a little theory that the elements' power melded together to create some sort of artefact which is made up of all the different elements. I am pretty certain that each member of the mane six will have some challenge to overcomew which will lead to them gaining their key.

I'm not sure I'm keen on Twilight's magic-boom at the end, it was a little cheesy. But, I guess it was a nice way of including her in the celebration. Celestia admitting to Twilight that each SSC was a day of sadness for her up until this one was a nice touch - it shows that Celestia feels like she can open up to Twilight about her feelings now that she is also a Princess. :squee:

Not to mention all the new angles, perspectives and animation techniques which have been shown off in this episode. It was just gorgeous.

Akafjasodkjsdsa I just loved this episode. It was amazing. :wub:

• Brohoof 2

There is also Twilight who seems to be very important for some reason.

I thought about that as well. It could trigger a lot of theories regarding how cutie marks manifest in every pony in Equestria. I don't think the fact that Twilight's cutie mark is the same as the tree has any indication that she's the highlander and that there can be only one the chosen one. It just means that the fact Twilight's mark is the same as what's on the tree symbolizes her special talent is magic. No better symbol can show that than the symbol etched on the tree that is arguably the source of all magic in equestria. Notice also that Shining Armor has that mark along with a shield. That he also demonstrated great skill with magic is no coincidence: it's not easy to create a barrier around all of Canterlot, and that it was a task entrusted to him rather than something the princesses did should also be a strong hint.